Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 accord daily
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Never have been part of a forum so bear with me.

i finally decided to take my 98 civic off the road and really start a serious build.
The goal is to get the bay clean and tucked and rebuilding my stock y8 into a semi built turbo engine.

any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

il be making a video blog on youtube of the build and il post links when i get the channel set up!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to d-series.

Tips? Take your time, label everything. I like to put all my bolts and hardware in sandwhich bags so i know what bolts go to what.

Building my y8 for boost also.

Maybe ill start a build thread.. but for now its just stripped apart in my barn.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
secret to successful build:

decide on a goal and a budget

first build? Don't bite off more than you can chew and wind up with a garage full of parts and no running car. Don't take apart more than you can get put back together.

Do you have reliable daily driver?
Do you have proper space and permission to use the garage for twice as long as you think you'll need?
Do you own all the tools necessary?
Have you ever done any work to this car before? Timing belt? adjust valves? If you've never even attempted an oil change then don't expect to successfully wire tuck and turbo a car on your first go.
I'd advise to start small and work your way up.

·
Registered
2000 Civic Hatch EJ6
6 Posts
ditto on the bolts in sandwich bags. that will save a huge headache! I ended up going a step farther and building a workbench that i can place all related engine parts together in. almost like individual cubbies. be patient and get ready for a long adventure if your budget is limited at times.

·
Registered
1991 Civic DX
4 Posts
cheap masking tape and a sharpie.
put masking tape on both sides of a plug and give them the same number. Looking for matching numbers is easier than looking for a plug that looks similar to the one you are holding.

I helped a friend with an engine swap on a Ford Taurus, and we didn't mark the wires. It had two of the same size and shape plug and if you mix them up it won't start. It took us a week to figure out that it was the simplest stupid thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm currently doing my first build and I will say now that its going back together it is a very good idea to label everything and make sure you have all the proper gaskets and seals. I was going to put my cam back in last night and realized I didn't have the seal for it so now I have to wait for the Honda dealership to get one for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Go to hondahookup, make an account and download all the relevant year service manuals. They're free and more importantly, invaluable. This is probably the single best piece of advice I could give you. The second best piece of advice I can give you is don't ask any questions here unless you know for sure that it hasn't already been answered. Make this mistake and you'll soon know what I mean. And for Honda parts go to hondapartsnow.com.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts