Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 89 civic dx with a D15B and a Y7 head. Its a DPFI. I am having issues with the car. It surges at idle, and then when i reach over 2500 rpm a check engine light comes on and the car proceeds to run really lean and has less power. I have replaced the 02 sensor and timing. I checked vaccuum hoses for cracks/broken/worn out. Any advice? Please and thank you. Its my only car atm

·
Registered
174 Posts
do remember you are using a 1.5L motor
it only makes about 100hp from factory and with age it has gotten warn.

They were comuter cars not race cars. they all oringaly feel slow.

Edit: With your head and block combo i think you might be a half tooth off....
Search the forms, but from what i remember reading you might need a thicker head gasket or the adjustable cam gear

·
Registered
463 Posts
Check that your TPS is plugged in. If it's loose, you wont be able to rev over 2500rpm (you'll hit engine cut).

02 sensor code might be a red herring. The service manuals say that it'll either be a short in the harness to the sensor, a bad sensor or a fuel pressure regulator playing up. But the reality is that there are a lot of things that can cause an 02 sensor warning light. Basically anything that affects the richness of the burn can trigger the 02 light.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
also check TPS wiring. check and verify the wire colors.

This is to verify you dont have something switched, as honda likes to reuse connectors in the older cars. If it were to be a 92-00 civic, Id almost say map and tps were switched accidentally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So update on this. My car runs rich regardless if the CEL is on or off. I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator, and the Positive crankcase vent valve. My engine feels like its running better but my gas millage has tanked. CEL light comes on frequently while I'm trying to reach freeway speed, or when I am cruising at 60mph. Happens if I am accelerating uphill but never downhill. Still is Code 1 CEL which is a oxygen content.
I am at a loss.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
grab a long extension, put it against your ear and a fuel injector.

while idling fully warmed up, listen for the clicking of the fuel injectors, individually.

If you find one that is much quieter, most likely a stuck injector.

While car is idling, spray light spritz of starter fluid around the motor. LIGHT SPRAY!!!!! I cannot stress that enough!

This will quite easily allow you to see if there are any vacuum leaks.

Make sure vacuum hose is on fuel regulator tightly. it should be 3/16 or 1/4 hose, and should be snug.

If you find a sticky injector, or one that sounds different, tap the body lightly with a screwdriver or similar, no hammers!

Finally, perhaps it is worth yanking the spark plugs out, verifying gap and strap condition, and maybe even giving the car an Italian tune up for a few minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts