Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time has come where I want my boost back. I want something that spools quick so full boost in the 3k area and can make 225-250whp. What I plan on doing is a t28 that might be a bb turbo from ryan89crx at 10psi. The bottom end will be a z6 block with a 1.7 crank, ls rods and, vitaras, so my comp should be around 9.5 with my current y8 head. I also have the performer x intake with a ls tb and I'm planning on runningthis for a fmic. I'm also planning on doing a 2.5 dp to a 3in catback except there will be no cat and the exhaust will dump at the passenger trailing arm pivot area. As far as fuel I have the stock pump and rc 440cc injectors.

The two things I'm wondering about for my goals are the cam and exhaust mani.The cam I was thinking about is a crower stg 2 turbo cam and for the mani a rc-autoworks diy mini ram. I don't want a bisi cam at all. The car is also my dd but I'm planning on doing some auto x along with the usual test and tune so I want some big mid range and see no need to make power after 8k.

I'm open to advice as I don't plan on rushing this thing together. Also where would you guys start? From my experience I think I'm going to start by completing the turbo set up and doing the bottom end very last.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Plenty of people Have made 300 with the stock cam. A Crower should be fine. Your engine should have a nice flat torq curve with that crank. And a t28 will spool nice and quick. As long as you are not revving to the moon sounds like solid setup. Remember to research Danz build. IIRC you need a d17 oil pump and a b16 pulley for a bolt on setup with bottom end. But Danz has been running solid with his build.

Oh and you can't go wrong with a RC auto exhaust mani

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
You are following in my foot steps, including buying my old header and all lol. Stock cam would probably be sufficient. As for manifold, probably a cast will do, or something equal length that's as short as possible.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do LS rods even fit with the D17 crank?
We will find out. My idea is to shave them down then run the 1.7 bearings in them or gsr bearings. If all else fails I will try to pick up some gsr rods since they are already skinnier.

Plenty of people Have made 300 with the stock cam. A Crower should be fine. Your engine should have a nice flat torq curve with that crank. And a t28 will spool nice and quick. As long as you are not revving to the moon sounds like solid setup. Remember to research Danz build. IIRC you need a d17 oil pump and a b16 pulley for a bolt on setup with bottom end. But Danz has been running solid with his build.

Oh and you can't go wrong with a RC auto exhaust mani
I've already read up on that but I'm just going to have the nose of the crank turned down so I can run the 1.6 stuff on it. The only reason I was thinking of a bigger cam is to help will spooling. I know the tune can also help with spooling but the motor already has to be in the ball park area of when I want full boost.

I'm looking for what intake, exhaust, and cam will give me the best spool time and carry to at least 7.5k but doesn't need to pull after 8k.

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
560 Posts
cams not really need for your power levels. i made 210 on 7 psi with 50/63. starts spooling at 3k in my del sol with the typical cast mani. you should have better spool with the turbo your using and id go with a greddy replica cast mani as long as your turbo is internal wastegate, your fuel should be fine but i have no experience with your engine build lol good luck

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If shaved enough, but I'm not sure how it would work with the bearing tang..
lol, thats why we shave both sides of the rod, rather than take it all off one side.
fwitw, ls and d16 use the same rod bearings.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So a stock cam and cast mani would provide me with the best spool? I'm fine if I go over my hp goals. Lol I really want the mini ram because welding it together would be so much fun and it would look sweet. Any benefits of running a mini ram over a cast mani?

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
560 Posts
theyll spool similar but not too similar lol. cast will still spool fastest down low but mini ram will flow better up top and provide most peak power with better over all turbo flow threw your power range.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm sure you know this but that just makes me even more set on that mini ram. So the stage 2 is too big and the stock cam will be fine but in my head I feel like a turbo cam even if it's stock size would be better than the actual stock cam for a boost build.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what ive read a stock cam should be fine and a simple cast mani off ebay or from on of the site sponsors, then a 2.5-3" exhaust after the turbo. If you really want a cam, Delta 272-2 turbo cam seems to be the current favorite.
just what i wanted to say...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts