Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got this car I swapped in a used motor cause the old one didnt run. Then I broke an exhaust valve so I put a different head on about 6 months ago. Now the motor is using coolant and overheating. I did a sniffer test and it has exhaust in the cooling system. Since I just replaced the head gasket(oem honda) a short while ago I'm thinking there is another problem. Now I'm trying to figure out what the cheapest fix would be. I think the radiator is clogged from the previous owner using stop leak and rusting so that would have to be replaced as well. I changed the water pump about a year ago. Does anyone know if there is a common problem with the cooling systems on these cars and what my cheapest fix option is at this point? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Close enough to a D. When you replaced the head gasket did you verify the head and deck were flat? If either is warped it's probebly why it's still leaking.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dood, check the small coolant hoses under the intake manifold, I had the stock 20+ year old one break on me and it leaked everywhere it was a bitch to get at as well, your best bet is to start it, let it run to temp and verify where the leak is coming from. Its an old car, if you have exhaust in the coolant, check to see if you have coolant in your OIL, if its brown and frothy your headgasket is cooked again, also if the car is cold if I remember right you can start it, let it run for 30 seconds. Stop it, then pull the radiator cap, if you hear a release of pressure your headgasket is cooked. Also if you are overheating check your thermostat, if you haven't replaced it its probably a good idea. Get a compression check if you can't verify where the leaking coolant is going it should verify a cooked headgasket.

Go to www.redpepperracing.com they have some of the service manual pages for these cars online, they are specifically 1gen CRX and 3rd Gen Civic and can help you out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts