Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 cx
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a civic from a guy that gave me a title under his friend's name, signed over to this seller. Since he doesn't have a drivers license, he never registered the car in his name...

It seemed alright, so i got a bill of sale with his ID photocopied along with mine.

I go to the currency exchange to get it registered. They say "you don't have the original title, someone ordered a new junked car title 5 days ago. Until you get that new title we can't register your car."

So now I asked the guy for the original title because I need a car to drive. He told me he'd get me the title. Of course he won't get it for atleast another 4-6 weeks...

What should I do?

·
Registered
1987 CRXSi
416 Posts
Beat him like he owes you money...because he does! Without that title the car is worthless and I assume that is the premise that you bought it on - a clear title to the car is part of the exchange. Get your money back and give hims the keys - when he gets the title, if you still want the car, make the deal then.

Kirk

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Sounds like the beginning of a scam and most likely highly illegal things have happened.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Honestly, I would never buy a car with a different name from the dude who is selling. It might be a good price but can cause major headaches later. Double, triple check. Too much money at stake

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Why the FUCK do these kinds of threads keep popping up?!?

Don't be stupid and buy a car that isn't titled in the sellers name. You realize that if the titled owner reports the car as stolen, you'll have to return the car and forfeit any money you paid? Oh right, you got the seller's ID...have fun taking that guy to small claims court if it comes down to it.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
I learned this lesson when i was 17. lost 700 on a bike I couldn't register.

No clean title? no deal. ever.

hopefully you'll get lucky and he isn't conning you.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Why the FUCK do these kinds of threads keep popping up?!?

Don't be stupid and buy a car that isn't titled in the sellers name. You realize that if the titled owner reports the car as stolen, you'll have to return the car and forfeit any money you paid? Oh right, you got the seller's ID...have fun taking that guy to small claims court if it comes down to it.
He got a bill of sale, that should cover his ass vs someone calling it in stolen right? Ive had similar problems with titles, bought my car and the owner signed the title but someone else (a friend or something) signed the odometer section even though its not required over 100,xxx, this caused a major headache since i now had to get a statement of facts for her why she signed the title. My girlfriends civic same thing, owners wife lived in mexico so he had her fill in the new reg owner form on the title then we had to get a bill of sale from her (she never registered it).

I dont condone it but a friend was in your same situation and a guy sold a car of his "wife" but it was his family friend that didnt want to sell the car and my friend ended up forging it if i remember right. Never buy a car without title in hand unless its from a dealership or something on a loan . If you can get the title i would part it out and try to make most your money back

·
Registered
840 Posts
I wish i could help, i've had some really awful times with titles, the only i can say to do is ALWAYS CHECK TWICE, the title, the name or names on it and match the vins, you don't wanna get fucked cause its a PITA from there on out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts