Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72Charger90EF99F350
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my ef for the mpgs. The currents mpgs are 36 no matter how hard I beat on it about 70 mph and above. its a d15b2 DPI. I want to keep the mpgs to be just as good maybe better with a fresh motor. Also I want to keep everything light so thats why I want to keep the D so the handling is at optimum. I figure that reducing the weight of the rotating assembly, ie the pistons, rods, crank, pulleys etc.. will help majorly. However I want some more pep when needed. The stock hp is fine for normal driving but if I can get more with out hurting the mpgs that would complete my goal. I was thinking maybe a good shot of nitrous would do what I want. I am not looking for a killer drag car but I want something to roll into VIR or Summit point and still get some speed on the straights. I am looking to find a d15 or d16 MPI for the project and get a hydro trans. I am just getting back into this so if you guys have any insite, suggestions, or considerations I am all ears! Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
431 Posts
more power usually means less mpg my friend, but if you want a lively ride for cheap, and really unspring the weight I would buy a lightweight flywheel, drive pulley and lightweight wheels, some hx/vx wheels if you want oem stock look, and 13" are good for racing. also a drop in K&N with a decent header and exhaust would also be great. after that your looking at pricey goodies and way less mpgs.

·
Registered
840 Posts
So I got my ef for the mpgs. The currents mpgs are 36 no matter how hard I beat on it about 70 mph and above. its a d15b2 DPI. I want to keep the mpgs to be just as good maybe better with a fresh motor. Also I want to keep everything light so thats why I want to keep the D so the handling is at optimum. I figure that reducing the weight of the rotating assembly, ie the pistons, rods, crank, pulleys etc.. will help majorly. However I want some more pep when needed. The stock hp is fine for normal driving but if I can get more with out hurting the mpgs that would complete my goal. I was thinking maybe a good shot of nitrous would do what I want. I am not looking for a killer drag car but I want something to roll into VIR or Summit point and still get some speed on the straights. I am looking to find a d15 or d16 MPI for the project and get a hydro trans. I am just getting back into this so if you guys have any insite, suggestions, or considerations I am all ears! Thanks!

Rob
i'm in to for hopefully another fellow VA bro, where you from man i'm up in fauquier county

·
Registered
840 Posts
you can also tune for better mpgs, lean the fuel map out and part throttle people on here get over 50 all the time just do some looking alot have done it. i'm about to try it my self i do alot of commuting

·
Registered
72Charger90EF99F350
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im in denton md btw. I know mpgs get hurt by hp. What I wanna do is build the motor to stock specs but forged and light and add a wet shot for some extra hp only when needed. I guess what I wanna know is how big a shot can I do with the stock compression?

·
Registered
72Charger90EF99F350
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a ton of exp with superchargers and turbos but not to much on nitrous. I have done some porting on some engines and built some heads that they said they were going to use nitrous on but that about it. I know the basics but didnt know that I can use it just fine on a low comp engine! and depending on tuning and a few other things I can still run low octane as well! So it looks like I can make it work as planned, just need someone that can tune. I am friends with the former TSR owners Mike and Tim Sweeney but I havent talked to them in a long time so Im not sure if Mike is still tuning. if anyone knows of some good ppl that can tune near me in md let me know! ill travel if it reasonable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts