Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first off, I'm sooo sorry if this is not the place to be posting this (my first day on this forum), secondly I have a few questions about a car that I will be buying. Alright here we go, I am no honda expert and have never even owned one (although i do love them and have been researching everything i can find about them for around 3 years as if i did own one lol) but I'm about to purchase my first honda. It is a 92 civic EX (D16z6 if I'm not mistaken), it has been owned by a friend of mine for the past year who has done some very mild work to it. I'm going to structure this post like this: 1) plans for the car 2) current state of the car 3) what I should do to the car now.

1) PLANS FOR THE CAR okay the plan is to clean it up and run it with some bolt ons (H/I/E) for prob the next year while i can save up for either a B18 swap or a nice turbo set up on my D series, I just need to get everything in nice working order for now without wasting extra $$ in places that I don't need to.

2)CURRENT STATE OF THE CAR so my friend (who is somehow a mechanic) has had the car and has done "work" to it. the car currently has ZERO exhaust, its literally the stock manifold with the down pipe then the stock cat, pipe and muffler have fallen off, there is nothing. He says he has put in an aftermarket (60'ish mm) throttle body, cleaned the injectors and rigged up the most ghetto intake I have ever seen. I test drove the car yesterday and from what I experienced the car has NO low end power, like nothing before 3.5k to 4k RPM, i chalked this up to there being no exhaust on the car, also in any gear when your cruising if you feather the gas the car jerks back and forth, I don't think its a clutch issue because it seems to only do it in the 2k-4k rpm range when you let on or off the gas, other than that the car runs fine.

3)WHAT SHOULD I DO TO THE CAR Okay, here we are, my plan was to put on an AEM short ram intake, headers, then slap on a cat with 2'' straight pipe back to a greddy muffler and run it like that until i can afford a real build. My questions are, should i do something about the supposed throttle body thats on there? not sure if its to big or if it will hurt my performance, if it is okay should i put on diff injectors? There are literally no honda shops around here or any "honda crews" i can talk to, and have no idea where i could go to get it tuned…

SO, with all that being said, let the games begin, any and all advice is appreciated and again, sorry if this post is in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
save money, go ebay intake, header and exhaust(2.25 for n/a)...the jerking could be the lack of back pressure during part throttle, could also be an improperly adjusted throttle cable or even the timing being 1 tooth off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, i figured the jerking had something to do with the throttle and or exhaust, I will have to check the timing belt now as well haha. And as far as the intake / headers are concerned do you think the cheapies will suffice for now? I don't really want to fork out $300-$400 for name brand headers that will get replaced during a boost build if I don't have to and for the intake the AEM one i was looking at is only $100 but I'm down for a cheapie if there really isn't a difference.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
ebay it all....it will all work just fine...name brand stuff wont net you any noticeably difference ...with tuning and other mods (think headwork and cams) certain name brand stuff is better, but for a stock z6 ebay will be more than fine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I won't be buying the car until the 8th of this coming month, but i will deff get a bunch of pictures that follow the project. The ghetto intake consists of what looks like stock plastic tubing with a specter air filter tapped on to it lol. For the throttle body, you guys are saying that its making me lose a lot of power down low right now? Also I'm not even 100% sure of whats really on it, every time he says he replaced the throttle body he points to the intake manifold (which looks aftermaket) and also I'm not sure how much the guy really knows about hondas because for the past 2 weeks he has been trying to convince me that its a 1.5l D15, which from all my research is impossible on that car, 92 civic ex Vtec, everywhere I look says its a D16Z6, correct me if I'm wrong though.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Well it could have been swapped at one point to a D15. The only way to be for sure is to look at the engine. There's a stamp plate (for lack of a better term) where the engine and transmission come together, just under the distributor. Find out what's stamped on there and you will know for sure which engine is in there. Also if it happens to be a D15B of some sort (if there's no number at the end it's a JDM model) take a look at the positioning of the spark plugs. If they are at the front of the valve cover it is a VTEC (potentially the fun and potent D15B VTEC or maybe VTEC-E further digging is required to determine which) head if they are towards the back it is a Non-Vtec head (probably the JDM version of a D15B7).

I think all of that is correct. Gurus feel free to correct any misinformation I have given.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool thanks, I will be going over there in a little bit to check out the car a bit more, might try and snap a few pictures while I'm at it, I sure hope it is the d16, the car was owned by an old lady since it was new then sat for 10 years outside and my friend snagged it up, i know for a fact he hasn't swapped the motor so I'm almost sure its the d16, but i will know for a fact by tonight.

·
Registered
THE CRX
983 Posts
drop the 60mm tb. not needed right now. Ebay as told.

·
Registered
THE CRX
983 Posts
it should be a z6 yes, although it being a d15b would mean its either jdm or canadian. it would more than LIKELY be the 3 stage sort though unless u got really lucky.

sounds to me like ur guy is hoping ull just buy it. The rest is just insane BS. but hey, take the car, do right by it.

The casting should be under the dirt and grime under the dizzy like said though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so I went and did a closer inspection of the car this evening and got a few pics, I can confirm that it is in fact a 62mm throttle body (seems a bit to big for stock, your thoughts) also, after cleaning away dirt and grime for like 15 min I still couldn't find any engine / series number anywhere which is a bit concerning, but I'm still not convinced that its a d15, just doesn't seem possible haha. Here are a few pics I got

hmm, after posting i realize that it didn't actually post any pictures lol, sorry for the noob question but how can i post a few pictures on here?

·
Registered
THE CRX
983 Posts
the best way to post is to go thru a 3rd party site, like photobucket or whatever. The other way is to submit them in the actual comment where u can upload, but they come in pretty small.

The casting should be underneath the distributor area, as in in the middle of the block on the front side in between your left end of ur block and the exhaust manifold.

unless someone shaved it off of course.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay I have been doing a little research last night and this morning and have come up with a first draft of parts / things to do to the car, I need some advice on all of this. As I stated before I plan on just doing some bolt ons until I can save up for a real swap or turbo project, with that said I want to move my power more into the low / mid range to be a little more torquey lol.

Ebay 4-2-1 headers / downpipe
into a cat, 2.25'' pipe to a Greddy muffler (which i have laying around)
Ebay cold air intake
NGK plugs / wires
the car has a 62mm throttle body on it (not sure if i should leave it or not)

here is a big question that I can't find any definite answer on
was looking at getting an aftermarket cam gear because I heard that advancing it +1 or +2 could move a lot of my power down lower but sacrifice it from up top, I'm not sure if this is true so help me out.

can't really think of anything else that might help my cause, not wanting this thing to be strip worthy, just a (somewhat) daily driver that has a little get up and go for now.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Without getting a proper tune and bigger injectors then I wouldn't bother with the cam. And the 62mm TB is big for a stock Z6. If you had a ported head, cam, OS valves then maybe... just maybe though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts