Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got finished building a D16 Z6 new Pistons new rings new crank and everything. I got about 600 miles on the motor now and I've noticed I took off today and I had a little smoke coming out of the car but if the car is just idling there's no smoke coming out and i looked back there at the exhaust I noticed some black soot oh my back bumper.. Is something I need to worry about

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
398 Posts
What mechanical mods have you done to the engine? Did you replace all gaskets and seals? Did you make a change in compression ratio at all?

If you put in pistons/rods that lower compression ratio, this can affect in-cylinder burn efficiency and will cause more unburned fuel to be turned into soot when getting into high engine load ranges.

Pay close attention to the smoke color. Depending on the load conditions, as long as it is black you should have nothing to worry about. If it was rolling coal like a freaking diesel while cruising, yes you should worry haha but if it puffs out a light cloud of black that is pretty normal especially without a cat.

Everything after an engine rebuild makes a driver nervous lol, black smoke is pretty normal when romping on it. Just be on the lookout for blue. Sometimes its hard to tell from the driver seat what color the smoke is, have a friend behind follow you to report the smoke color for better verification.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agree 100% everything seems off after a fresh rebuild lol.color of smoke is super important in diagnosing the issue.also pull spark plugs and inspect , generally spark plugs are a window into your combustion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts