Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I guess this is in part a case of cold feet, but I'm just curious on the general consensus (i have a relatively good Idea to the answer but...)

So I now have 2 z6 motors. My b7 is officially shot.

I have the head off and redone on one of the engines, however something struck me as odd, a couple honda mechanics have cautioned against head removal and headgasket replacement, saying the engines came from the factory made to stay as a single piece. I also know b7's *can* have issues after a headgasket goes.

My question is was I right to pull the head off an engine that didn't blow the headgasket and have it redone? Did i sacrifice reliability? And depending on the case should I do it again for the 2nd engine? (which will be going into a hatch shell) Or should I just have left well enough alone, though that would have meant losing out of getting headwork done.

Just any tips, advice, thoughts on it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I've heard of guys saying that all the time; "These Honda engines, they're built so well from the factory that once you blow a head gasket and have to open it, it's just going to be more problems down the road".

It's a myth. It's OK to pull the head and no, it did not do any damage. Just remember to replace the head bolts too(although some people reuse them).

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i have a fresh set of oem's.

thanks, like I said just cold feet. I thought my hunch was right as we have a forum all about engine building. Just wanted to make sure i didn't hose myself too badly in the reliability dept.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Do it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this weekend i'm promoting the webcomic and sitting on a panel at katsucon, after that it will be back on the motor, should be done in a week or two finally.

thanks for the encouragement! I feel better now ;p

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
i heard the headstuds need to be replaced but if you use arp you can reuse em i dont see what else it could hurt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts