Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping this is the best place for this...

I did a search and didnt find anything on the subject. I have been reading over the rules, and have become very interested in trying this out. Not anytime soon of coarse, thinking 2009 season. Have to aquire license, not to mention build/buy a car.

Was jsut wondering if anyone here on D-series has thought about it, or is even actually racing in this series. Spec Miata is also a possibility but I am more of a honda fan, and I own a CRX which according to the rules I think I can run in H5 or H4. anyways, its deff interesting, for those who have nto heard of it.. heres the link. I would deff like to ehar some comments, info, or even if anyone has experience in the series.

www.westcoastHC.com

theres also a lot more info on the NASA forums, they ahve a section for Honda Challenge

·
Registered
330 Posts
H4 or H5 is the way to go...just spend all your money on a quality WELDED in cage and safety gear...learn to drive first then buy the power parts.

It is expensive...figure at least $700.00 per weekend and that is if you dont break.

NASA is where I feel more comfortable due to a more relaxed atmosphere then SCCA...plus who can compete with the IT racers budgets? Not me!

WIsh I was in Calli where all the HC action is!

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dragn thats pretty much the plan, start of small focus more on becoming a better driver.

Wow $700 a weekend... I may have to wait longer than a year if thats the cost even for H5

Id like to know how you have your car set up in H4 Dragn. Thx for the info!

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea NASA events are cheap but because of that there are a lot of cars, and only four 20 minute sessions.

After doing more research this may have to wait a few years.. I think I might just focus on running HPDE events and getting my Comp License. 24 hour lemons at thunder hill would be sweet. Anyone got a running hatch or CRX they want to donate LOL

·
Registered
330 Posts
HPDE is def the way to start...just do as many as you can afford.

Really all you need are good tires and brakes.

·
Registered
2000 Civic Hatchback
100 Posts
I weas thinking about But sounds like some cash to spend.. and your whole weekend Do they Allow Boosted Engines In these Challenges ? I thought they didn't..

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
yup NASA is the shizzle thats why i'm a member of their forum just so i can see what the skinny on all the ups and downs.

http://www.nasaforums.com

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea I have 2 friends who rana few events this year, and unfortunately the cars I have were both not ready to see the track.. This year I will be ready tho..

HPDE is def the way to start...just do as many as you can afford.

Really all you need are good tires and brakes.
Would you suggest I upgrade the brakes on the crx? I have read the stock discs up front and rear drums wont hold up well.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Typical NASA crashfest I assume?
crashfest?! uh, i think i won't be doing that you work pretty extensivily hard on a car just to be some what decent and idiot wipes you out i'll fucking out right piss. trading paint happen but doing it on purpose. i won't attemp anything on the track in fear of not be allow back on the track, but when i'm off track it's on like fried neck bones and homefries.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Would you suggest I upgrade the brakes on the crx? I have read the stock discs up front and rear drums wont hold up well.
We have a guy who races in the Southeast with a 1998 Dx Coupe on stock brakes front and rear drums...only upgrade is SS lines, fluid, and Hawk Blue pads. He is fast and the brakes work well for him.

Just make sure your car is in good working order and it will he more than fine for HPDE duty. There you will learn how much farther you can push it than you would have ever guessed.

If I were you I would go with SS brake lines, new fluid (get the highest wet boiling point you can find at Auto Zone), new Auto Zone rotors if yours are worn, and some decent pads...see my post in the product review forum.

All this would run you around $200.00 if you DIY and would last several track days of hard use.

Double check your suspension bushings and make sure none are torn as this would induce unpredictable handling.

Now add some decent tires (Azenis) and your ready to learn.

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DRAGN

Yea I have the bushings... SS lines will be here in a few weeks, Once I start working again the car will be in the garage getting a major tune up.

Trans, HPDE is not a crashfest, maybe HC is... but NASA is pretty strict against cars hitting each other. If your close enough to trade paint then your too close is what the inst. say at the drivers meeting haha. Your there to learn not win a trophy. However, there are some risks involved. Our last trip to Thunderhill resulted in a cracked foglight, a few scratches in the paint and a cracked windsheild from a moron in a S2K. He was letting a faster car pass, and by doing so went to far to the left and went off track spitting rocks all over the place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts