Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever used one on a boosted z6? I found a good deal on one, but wanted to hear some reviews first. If not i'll go ahead and fork the extra money for the OEM one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No mines not toasted, i'm rebuilding a vitara/eagle setup and just wanted a new oil pump for peace of mind.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
do you run one? which one? been look for an altrernative to a stock y7/y8 pump.

op: sorry about the :hijacked:
LIke I said, I was running them in my Supras. 85 5mg(t)e (stock motor with boost) and my 89 3rd gen 7mgte.

Toga makes good shit, just order the one for motor if you get one.

Honda Civic (92-95)
VTEC D16Z6 - 16v SOHC #166163
$155.00

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Well I did ask the same question some time ago. I ask everyone if when rebuilding their engine if they use only oem parts from the dealer OR buy them from one of those chain auto parts?
The mayority of the people told me to always go Honda.
I guess I want to be the idiot that puts all this cheap parts to the test. The way I see is this, I have many friends running pretty fast cars, everything from rotaries, to 1.8 toyotas, to Mitsubishi/Conquest 2.6 engines,Nissan 2.4 ka24e, to name a few.
Been from Puerto Rico where racing is our breatfast, lunch and dinner, we learn to race the cheapest way possible but it most be able to take the ponishment. Like I mention before many of my friends are running in the 10's, 9's, 8's and 7's in the 1/4 mile. and I have seem them buy regular parts at the chain stores.
If those parts can take the beating at the track event after event, I think they will do ok on a street/race car set up.
I guess I will be the judge of that. I rather spend the money on other things. But if you know it has been proven over and over that it works why pay more.
For example the Vitara piston, damm they cost like $140 shipped and they have made 400hp at the dyno already.

PS- the guy that wanted more oil pressure out of the oil pump, just opened it up and put a shim on it, that will increase the pressure;) but make sure this is what you want. Keep in mind the more oil the engine gets the more the crank, rod ect will have to deal with all that extra oil meaning that now the engine has to work a little bid harder.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
PS- the guy that wanted more oil pressure out of the oil pump, just opened it up and put a shim on it, that will increase the pressure;) but make sure this is what you want. Keep in mind the more oil the engine gets the more the crank, rod ect will have to deal with all that extra oil meaning that now the engine has to work a little bid harder.
well i am running a boosted y7. as everyone knows, the y7/8 have a little bit of an oiling issue. so i thought i might as well ask if those pumps are up to the task of pushing a little more pressure.

i have looked at adding a shim, but in the grand scale of things i would also need to port the pump to get it up to par. and i just don't have time to have the car down, like it was for the engine build.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
well i am running a boosted y7. as everyone knows, the y7/8 have a little bit of an oiling issue.
This I didn't know. What types of issues? So far I have only deal with the D16Z6. Doble check the seal of the oil pump. The one I got is from a good company but when I was about to install it I notice that the seal had a small rip on the side, It was good that I had a complete gasket set for this engine so I went and replace the seal. Honda bond works like magic, cost me $13 dollars but it works great.
Good luck with the project!!

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
basically the same thing as you stated above. honda ran the system low volume, to make power. but in the long run, it makes you spin bearings. also the crank has two less oiling holes in it vs a Z6. add all this to a turbo version of even a turbo vtec version of a y7/y8 motor... and well you get the idea.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Not to thread jack:
Stock Supra oilpumps are "okay" at best even when shimmed. Also take in to account there was extra plumbing on the engine as well(longer steelbraid oil feed for the turbo, relocated oil filter and oil cooler setup) Stock pump with the extra crap on it put out 40ish psi @ WOT and the Toga was pushing 70-80 @ WOT. Spent a few extra bucks and had extra piece of mind lol

Thread jack over

You could shim your stock pump, Honda replacement or Toga.... or a nice drysump system lol

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
running new oem pump from the honda dealer for a 300whp + build......will be revving to about 7300-7500 rpm....no shim installed. Im not really worried about it (*knocking on wood*)!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts