1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this...

leads to this...

and ends with this...

i was too busy learning too take pictures of the rebuild...just random ones like these...

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Lacka d lube.

Oil starvation for whatever reason or poor quality oil or overheated oil.

The crank is probably damaged and you were lucky you did not break a rod bolt and throw a rod.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Oh

And the crap from the bearing might be all through the galleries and maybe blocking at restrictions like the restrictor to the head. You cannot trust an oi lfilter to not go into bypass mode when filled with contamination like this, especially if it was already dirty.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bent a rod and seized the engine...i had purchased a refurbed head and it in turn exposed a weak piston and cylinder...we knew it was coming...although it sucked cause it happened in one of the busiest intersections in bakersfield...it also sucked to have to buy new headgaskets weeks apart...but we found a block in great shaped for 50 bucks...cleaned and machine honed the block...did new rings and bearings...seals, gaskets, shimmed and ported the oil pump...down a total of a week...actual rebuild in four days of working a few hours a night...

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
It's now time to pick the best of the leftovers and buy the missing or unserviceable bits and if it won't cost to much, build a spare to keep you running if you break it again.

That takes the pressure of the rebuild of the good motor if it is your DD.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
From the photos you posted it is not clear what damage was done other than that one cap and that there are no large holes in one side of the block, but if it's toast as you say, it's toast.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
block was ok other than the deep vertical scratches from overheating in the cylinders.

i also popped out a peice of the block while i was trying to remove the rod from the crank, it actually melted itself together from the fricton im guessing that the rod bearing spun and that was the end of that.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Carnage looks similar to my B20A5 rebuild. Damage was too severe to salvage. Debris had circulated all throughout the motor. There was major pitting even up in the cam journals. Dumbass must have drove the engine for quite a while after it started knocking. It had 1 spun rod and 2 spun mains. I ended up finding a more suitable junkyard motor to rebuild.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts