Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked this up for $200. He said it was on his mustang and pushed 800hp. Then he spun a bearing. He parted it out and this was the last thing. He said it is a Garrett gt42. What do you guys think? The numbers on it are a/r .83 and a/r 1.03

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Unless the previous. Owner painted it my first thought is it came off a cat motor(semi truck)

·
Registered
7,611 Posts

Just an idea as to how much lag you will have, have fun being the first all motor turbo car.

EDIT: also, if you can touch the impeller to the housing it needs rebuilt, and if its a ball bearing turbo then you are talking a couple hundred dollars in repairs.

Unless your thinking of going MASSIVE such as:

stroker (aftermarket crank, rods, pistons)
Sleeved and bored to maximum bore size allowable.
Heavily ported head with oversize valves and a nasty turbo cam
Nitrous to help with spool.

Or trying to spin it as high as you possibly can to try and spool it before you hit the limiter you may want to try and trade it for a gt30 or 35.

It would be interesting to see how it performs, but its way oversized for the application, you may even run into surging issues while in boost because your motor cannot push enough air. That being said, im all in for results of you putting this on your motor!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
video is of the car in the 2nd picture on 10 psi... though a rotary isnt exactly a SOHC honda since it hit full boost at 5500 rpms :p lol

pics from the shop i recently left (yes i did work on both cars), both are running GT42R turbos

Attachments

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
ITS A 42R, THERE are a DECENT AMOUNT OF VARIATIONS And thats a common type. i see them all the time. it will take to 4th gear on a d16 to really put enough load on it to make her move.

twin scroll the bitch and run 20psi+. after first gear you should be fine. flat foot shifting alone will eliminate some turbo lag. but not all. here is an orange rex that goes to ifo running the same turbo (newer cnc version) but his SOHC does it up..

my info is kinda just thrown out but if you play with big turbos you will see you basically have to beat the fuck out of it to get it into the power. then dont lift the throttle.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So you guys are sure that this is a gt42r? I checked the play in the shaft, and it is the same as a brand new Garrett. I have a much bigger Garrett, but the wheels are about the same size. The only reason I heard it scrape a tiny bit is because of the oxidation. It is v band, can I take the band off and sand the oxidation off? Does anyone have any clue at all how much this turbo is worth?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts