Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just joined up so I can help a friend with his car. He's got a 93 Civic DX sedan, and we picked up a D16Z6 from another friend from a Del Sol to swap in. The Z6 apparently has a spun bearing but it was checked out at a shop and just needs new bearings and the crank checked, but that should be about it. We got the engine, trans, ECU, and wire harness all from the Del Sol (all of it fit in the back of my 99 Cougar, and people could have sat in the back seats still!), so as far as I know we should have everything we need.

Basically all I really need is to make sure we've got our t's crossed and i's dotted before we disassemble his car. We're gonna get the pan off in the morning as soon as we get the motor up on the engine stand and see where we're at as far as the bearings go, I'm pushing him to go ahead and replace both the main and rod bearings while we're in there, we can pick them up for around $60 from NAPA. We're gonna do a full rebuild in a few months when we go to do the turbo, but for now we're gonna get the bearings all taken care of and go N/A for a few months.

So if we've got the full engine, trans, ECU, and wiring harness, we should be good to go right? I don't normally deal with these Honda's so I just wanted to ask a group more familiar with these engines. Anything else that we should check/replace while we're doing the swap? He's already got a Stage 2 clutch (don't recall the brand) and I'm pushing him to just grab a lightweight flywheel right now to go with it.

Oh, and just as an odd question. Since his car is a DX, he doesn't have a tach gauge cluster. What car should I find a cluster from that will have an accurate redline for the Z6 engine and plug-and-play? Thats the one thing thats irritated me the most whenever I've driven his car, no tach.

Oh and just to show, here's everything we got all in the back of my Cougar (hatch closed with room to spare, and seats could have folded up if needed)

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Yes you should be good to go, you may possibly need an O2 sensor, Im not sure if DX's normally use a 4-wire O2 (from a 92-95 Si or EX) or not. Check the O2, if it has 2 black, 1 white, and 1 green wire, youre good to go, if not then buy one. You can get a gauge cluster with a tach from any 92-95 Si or EX also, completely plug and play, you can get one from a VX too but Id go with the Si or EX. Check the timing belt, etc but if you are soon doing a rebuild I wouldnt replace anything right now unless its defective. If your intentions are to go turbo, I would not suggest getting a lighter flywheel, stock is fine for a boosted Z6. I think I answered everything, and BTW I grew up in Glendale so I repped you for being from Phoenix! Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't recall what turbo that was (T25 I think), my friend traded it already to trade up to a T3/T4. Thats not going on right away though, thats a few months down the road. And yes, we got the downpipe, not the cat though.

We got the pan off and got a good look at the bottom end of the Z6. The main bearings are in great shape, rod bearing on #4 is the bad one. I can see it darkened slightly and it does make a slight sound when we turn the crank by hand. My buddy said he only drove about 7 miles on the spun bearing so hopefully it didn't hurt the crank too badly. As soon as I get an impact gun (doh! forgot about that) and get the crank pulley off, I'm gonna get this crank to a machine shop to get checked out and then get the right bearings. We found a couple things that we need in order to get everything working right, i.e. another VTEC solenoid, etc. But for the most part though, everything looks like its going to be pretty straight forward.

I snagged a couple pics tonight, but the darkness was playing with my flash on my camera. There was a small amount of metal shavings at the bottom of the pan, but it looked very minimal to me. Again, crossing fingers that things will be fairly easy to resolve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts