Honda D Series Forum banner

N00b/cost-wise SC or Turbo?

1K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Axel 
#1 · (Edited)
So, what do you all think?

Considering i'm a wrench n00b and on a budget what would be the best setup for my y7 boost dreams? I want a good daily driver with a bit more kick than my stocker... +/-150whp would be cool with me if it was reliable and relative cheap.

Would you think used JRSC or some Turbo kit or junkyard setup?

Keep in mind the n00b and budget parts of the question.

I would love the simplicity, torque and response of the JRSC and still i would allso love the sound, feel, power and possibilities of the turbo... :werd:

So... i'm lost. Feel free to flame, inform, hate, help and discuss.

#2 ·
SC is much easier to put together but a little bit more expensive than a used turbo kit.

However, a homemade turbo kit is usually MUCH cheaper, but requires a lot of knowledge.

#3 ·
makku said:
SC is much easier to put together but a little bit more expensive than a used turbo kit.

However, a homemade turbo kit is usually MUCH cheaper, but requires a lot of knowledge.
I know.

But will a guy with really just basic knowledge be able tuo build a turbo set-up on a d16y7?

Or should i save up some more cash and get a used JRSC and run 6-7psi?

What would you recomend for a boost n00b?

#4 ·
JRSC. Not cheap, but you can slap it on in a few hours with fuck all knowledge, and can be boosting that night. Its not the same for a turbo with all the sump, coolant, drainage ect.

7pound is fun. look for about 160whp on 7 pounds on a JRSC, enough to fry your tyres, and the opposition.

#5 ·
So @ 7psi on a close to stock y7 with some i/h/e shit... 160whp?

Just slapped on like that? 2nd opinions?

#6 ·
Turbo is cheaper if you build your own kit! And you will get better results :)

#7 ·
But will a wrench n00b be able to put together a cheap turbo setup?

Do not weld and i've never messed too much with in-car electronics, much less the ECU and sensors and stuff. :)

#9 ·
And more reliable, right? If not as powerfull as the turbo kits.

G
#10 ·
Here's he BIG question..

What kind of driving are you trying to do? if your going to do road racing style like autocross and such, then YES SC is best (roots not blower)

If it's just a street car then turbo it. Turbo's work WITH your engine a lot better and will also help keep you from consuming lots of fuel compaired to a SC unit. Heck if your worried about it, then but a greddy, apex, edlebrock, what ever turbo kit made for your car and be done with it.

Make sure you get a front mount intercooler, and bov. I also recommend an electronic boost controller. The kit I personally prefer is the newer greddy turbo kits. they have a good spooling turbo, come with the programable e-manage, and you can get an fmic kit with it as well all for about the same cost as the SC or less, and the turbo will allow you to grow a lo more as a stock motor can easly support even a reworked SC. (that's 12lbs for you guys and 240-250 wheel power). The newer greddy kit can support up to 17 lbs of boost and 300 wheel power which is much more than a stock D can run.

either way it really depends on your driving styles and what your looking for.

G
#11 ·
in your shoes i would just do JRSC... yeah, turbo is better and cheaper, blah blah blah, but to answer the question YOU are asking, i would say JRSC. for a guy who is a wrench n00b, wants to just slap it on and it work, get the JRSC. but what will happen is that will whet your appetite and then you will want to upgrade your system and boost later, at which point you will probably go turbo.

there was a used JRSC for sale HERE in d-series for about 700 bucks. don't know if its still available - check the classifieds.

for turbo, you need to find/buy all sorts of separate pieces, there are so many more parts, so much more work... and thats not including the ECU portion where you'll need to chip an ECU and get a map for your car and that whole 9.

turbo is nice, but its so much more involved - requires more time and effort. based on what YOU said, wanting quick and easy upgrade that a n00b can do, i would say JRSC is YOUR best solution.

#12 ·
If your only looking for 150whp you can easily get that with some bolt-ons instead of turbo'ing or supercharging your car, and being a noob it would be alot easier and less confusing. A ported head, cam, intake, exhaust, and a crank pulley and you'd prolly be real close to 150whp. It doesnt get much more reliable then an N/A Honda. When i turbo'd my Z6 i made 202whp on 9psi with pretty much just the turbo and an exhaust, it was fun and all but if I had to do it all over again i'd go all motor.

#13 ·
I'm starting to think that maybe All-motor is a bit cost dependant for me and my y7 and i do not feel i get so much bang for the bucks with a all-motor setup. That's why boost came into my mind. And i do think a turbo (kit or junk/custom) is just a bit too much to think about for me... All the feeds, hoses, cooling, engine management, dyno, etc,etc... That's why i started considering the JRSC.

Keep your opinions and helpfull hints flowing. -Thanks.

#15 ·
Your definatley right when you say you dont get as much bang for your buck. The JRSC set-up would be cheaper then a turbo for sure, and alot less of a pain in the ass to install. My friend has a JR Supercharger on his 95 GS-R and it runs pretty well, he layed down 13.7's in the 1/4 with just the SC and an exhaust. It has pretty decent low end for a Honda to, and it sounds badass. If your all about boosting the Y7......go for it bro.

#17 ·
HMT turbo? Like - Homemade turbo?

And i can not afford any of my "plans" now, if i could, i'd buy your shit whitemike. ;)

#18 · (Edited)
hmmmm, here's my 0.2c, go SC for now, it's the easiest for someone in your situation and it really is only a couple of hours set-up time, even shorter if you have some knowledge in doing it. Build up some knowledge with the SC and change stuff like injectors, fuel pump in the meantime as well and when you feel safe about moving on, then go turbo. Turbo-charging a D yields much better results than bolting on a SC, but like this lot said there are heaps of smaller things that you'll have to buy with a turbo set-up. My turbo knowledge is very limited, but I do know my way around a stock engine bay...Mix and makes friends with other guys in your area.

#19 ·
How would a Delta 272 be with a JRSC setup on 6-8 psi?

Improvement, or a waste of time/money?

#21 ·
delta 272 is for the y7 head... Hmm... that makes my head a y7... and y7... that means... no vtec...

So, i have a d16y7 machine without vtec. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.