Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
EK Hatch
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into building a Vitara turbo but I've been leaning towards the N/A route bc it's going to be my daily. I'm working with a D16Y7. Has Aem Intake, y7mani, headers,straight pipe, magna flow exhaust upgraded radiator and hoses, stage 2 clutch n short shifter.

So my question is can you still get good power out of a non turbo vitara and if so how would I do it? If this wouldn't be the right way to go for N/A then what would be?
I'm looking to get a parts list and diy info ..also where n how to get it tuned? What ecu would be best?

The knowledge would be greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to share:) thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,308 Posts
so you are leaning to NA and don't plan on boosting ?

I would use different pistons,not something used for budget turbo engines.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Yeah a Vitara will leave you with 7.36:1 C/R without custom rods and those weigh more. Keep the rotating assembly as light as possible and up the C/R with some pistons or milling the head.

Tuning will be done with a obd1 ECU, chipped and some tuning software with a laptop, you will need obd2x to obd1 jumper harness (assuming you have a 96-00 car with a d16y7).

·
Registered
EK Hatch
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys so what pistons would you guys recommend for this particular build? I was going to add edelbrock or skunk 2 pro I.M. as well as AEM high flow Fuel Rail and F.P.R.
As for the ECU which are rated for OBD1.. (Po5-P28)? And as far as tranny would you guys recommend I go with the older S20 si/ex or stick with the S40? Btw yes I have a 98' ek hatch.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
If its going to be a daily I would just start saving for a swap.
A B20 is going to make it a better, more fun, daily than trying to squeeze power from a Y7.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Im with duder, I am looking at a bigger power plant for my sedan(daily), then build my D for a hatch later(racer boy wanna be car).

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
Im with duder, I am looking at a bigger power plant for my sedan(daily), then build my D for a hatch later(racer boy wanna be car).
good plan, if i had a sedan i would go with a bigger motor too. me and my brother put a B18B in my sister's 93 civic 4 door back in the day. integra was totaled and we found the civic real cheap. it was sweet....

·
Registered
EK Hatch
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand that a swap would be most effective for a gain in power but I honestly just want to do all i can to keep a clean D-series. I've Been reading up on them n I've seen you can get big power out of them but obviously it's forced induction that gets the power. Just wanted to see if I had options with it. So I'll probably just do what i can with what i got and be content with a clean semi-quick D rather than a quick B. Once I get another car you better believe I'm gonna boost the shit out of it lol.. But I really appreciate the input guys it's cool to know there's people out there that are willing to share their knowledge:)

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
you have any power goals? what kind of budget are you looking at?

first t hing I would do is change the intake manifold, stock Z6 or Y8 is good. I see you don't have A/C so you can have your pic at whatever turbo manifold you want.

if your not going VTEC just get a obd1 P06 ecu and chip it, bigger injectors and upgrade the fuel pump and that's all you need for fuel. just remember the stock map sensor only reads up to 11 psi. you can always find stuff you need in the classifieds section.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
^^^^yeaaa he said NA doe

OK, Heres my fart in the wind..

Changing pistons on such a small displacement engine isnt going to do much. even with a new intake mani and cams..
Will it be better then stock, yes.

Will you be disappointed in the outcome after dropping 2 grand.. most likely.

You dont need a fuel rail or alot fo what you noted. Realize that just swapping to an OBD1 ecu and tuning will run 4-600 bucks.

I suggest you pick a power goal and over build towards it. If you feel like you want to break open a case for internals, then see what will benefit your build now and any changes you may have in the future.

You could change to 11:1 pistons and still boost on it. Alot depends on what fuel you plan to use.

Sounds like you have alot of soul searching to do because droppin major coin on a hgh comp D wont give you the satisfaction your really looking for.

/.02

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
Definately get rid of the Y7 head. PM3 pistons with a Y8 head suppose to give a good compression bump if I'm not mistaken....

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I like my d17z6 vitara motor ... but it's gonna get boosted later. I can out torque just about any stock b-swap you throw at me ... but they'll run away from me up top.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I like my d17z6 vitara motor ... but it's gonna get boosted later. I can out torque just about any stock b-swap you throw at me ... but they'll run away from me up top.
Maybe a b16 or b17, don't think so for a b18 or especially a b20

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
doh.. nevermind.. I see you said stock Bseries..

I was about to say "challange accepted" lol

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Maybe a b16 or b17, don't think so for a b18 or especially a b20
doh.. nevermind.. I see you said stock Bseries..

I was about to say "challange accepted" lol
Yep "most" and "stock" ... how many stock b18s are making 130 wtq? I think the B20s even are rated around 130 tq at the crank.

I accept your challenge any way in the spirit of friendly competition and shits and giggles.

Back on topic ... OP there are way better choices for a budget N/A build. Those aren't the pistons you're looking for.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Well my B20 is putting down 166/142 at the wheels and I wouldnt mind a casual walk in the park..

:hijacked:

Sorry to hijack your thread.. Back on topic

·
Registered
37 Posts
vitara pistons compression are very low and would be useless with out a turbo. try to find anything with atleast 10:1 compression piston because stock is about 9 something:1 if you want more power. boost can be just as reliable as n/a if you do it right

1 - 18 of 18 Posts