Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my car for street/racing(Road course) and I'm wanting to spruce up the engine. I'm going to be doing the following:

- Y8 Head w/ stage 3 port, crower valves(stock intake, .5mm exhaust), crower retainers and springs, crower cam gear w/ stage 3 cam, Edelbrock mani w/ B16 60mm TB
- AN-R Header, 2.25 Stainless Piping, Test Pipe, ES Tuning 2.25 Black Muffler
- 99-00 Civic Si Intake Assembly w/ K&N Filter
- Oil Catch Can & Oil Cooler
- Aluminum Radiator(Full Size or Half Size??????)
- EX/Si or Custom Geared Tranny(Which would be better/cheaper)
- MSD Distributor, 6AL, Blaster Coil, 8.5mm Wires and NGK Iridiums
- Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
- Stainless Clutch Lines
- AC Delete
- AEM Underdrive Pulley

That should pretty much cover the engine/tranny portion of the build. The rest of the build will be done later.

I'm hoping for 150whp range. Something that pulls hard, long, and moves. I'm not going to get into the block now but I will after I get married and my fiance and I have our child.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
skip the pulley and msd igntion
why not get a less restrictive intake and get a ebay one with a k&n element
use ngk wires
and if your really looking for power get a race header .
ex/si tranny is good.
look into the intake manifold portmatched to the tb
ac delete is good. put your car on a diet.
good tires and brakes remember faster in=faster out) are essential along with clutch for hard driving.
no need for the fuel pump
an aluminuim rad for your car full size is fine
clutch lines?. your ok in my book.
the truth is ... turbo will net you more gains. but if you want to feel like an n/a car a jrsc could be in your ball park .. cam ported head good header and supercharger could turn your car into something you would never expect. idk im kinda drunk so ill let you get back to me. im not sure what your feelings are on n/a but ... holla =)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to keep it N/A for now because I want to get through all 4 classes of HPDE with my single slammer and then I'll upgrade.

Why skip on the MSD ignition? I've never had a problem with them on any of the V-8s I've owned.

The reason for the 99-00 Si Intake is because it flows well and looks stock(main thing I'm going for). My brakes are covered(rear discs with upgraded fronts).

Thanks for the tip on the fuel pump. More money in my pocket.

I was figuring a Fidanza flywheel with ACT Stage 3 clutch

Would I just be better with getting a y8 mani ported/polished with a portmatched b16 tb or getting the Edelbrock portmatch to the b16 tb?

Is the AN-R not a good header? I've heard great things about them from the B-series and H-series N/A guys.

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
you can never go wrong letting your engine breathe better. manifold, intake tb.
i cant comment on the an-r header for i dont know what they are about but take a look around. bisimoto headers are well respected and have numbers to prove themselves albeit expensive.
the y8 flows well. and from what i have read its not really neccessary to uprade unless your pushing big numbers. but being an n/a d motor. big numbers are not our bag....
the key to n/a power is higher revs. so a spring and valve package along witha cam and ported head is a great idea.
either manifold, it would be a good idea to get it portmatched being as how the tb will increase in performance .(not much but ) will with the port matching.
the flyhweel and clutch you speak of is solid and if you want to read up on transmission you could build your self one that suits your rev specs. be it tight courses or long high speed ventures (not that one tranny can do it all. but you can have a good mix of both)
bah on the the stock look for the intake. the fee-er the better i say =)

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
msd ignition did not make one bit of a difference on my car. the factory ignition system works just as well.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Get your priorities straight especially if you're on a budget.

upgrade in this order
driver skill > tires > suspension > power

- Y8 Head w/ stage 3 port, crower valves(stock intake, .5mm exhaust), crower retainers and springs, crower cam gear w/ stage 3 cam, Edelbrock mani w/ B16 60mm TB (Stage 3 crower cam also needs high compression, ITB's or carbs and a tuneable ecu to work)
- AN-R Header, 2.25 Stainless Piping, Test Pipe, ES Tuning 2.25 Black Muffler
(get a 4-1 header, the lighter the better, Buddy Club Spec II cat back is light and loud)
- 99-00 Civic Si Intake Assembly w/ K&N Filter
- Oil Catch Can & Oil Cooler
(not really needed but ok)
- Aluminum Radiator(Full Size or Half Size??????)
- EX/Si or Custom Geared Tranny(Which would be better/cheaper)
(don't forget LSD, this along with the shorter gears will be the biggest bang for the buck)
- MSD Distributor, 6AL, Blaster Coil, 8.5mm Wires and NGK Iridiums
(no need for the MSD distributor, Bisi uses a stock distributor, the coil and wires would be good tho)
- Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
(no need for this)
- Stainless Clutch Lines
(no need for this)
- AC Delete
(do the power steering while your at it and really feel the road)
- AEM Underdrive Pulley
(unless you're balancing the crank and flywheel at the same time then keep your stock crank pulley or you can get harmonic imbalance)

If you want to be fast through the course spend this money on a driving class and some 215 DOT slicks on a set of 13x8 Work wheels.

·
Registered
'06 GMC Sierra Crew
170 Posts
What sort of road racing are you planning on? Competition (wheel-2-wheel, time-trials) or just lapping days or schools? If you want to go compete, the first thing you need to do is get a rule book before touching ANYTHING on the car. Otherwise if it's just for fun/lapping/schools, go knock yourself out, but i'd listen to SOHC Student advice on priorities first...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know my priorities. I have a 4-pt roll bar(didn't see the need for a cage). Buddy Club N1 Coilovers, Password 3-pt Front, Cusco Rear Strut Bar, ASR Subframe Brace, ASR Adj. Endlinks, Cusco 24mm Rear Sway, Wicked Tuning Adj Front Arms, Wicked Tuning Toe & Camber Adj Links, Wicked Tuning Lower Control Arms, and Cusco Front Lower Brace are all on order.

This isn't the first honda I've ever tracked. I've tracked numerous cars(Corvettes, RX7s, and some Audis).

I'm really looking to do HPDE and Time Trials.

If the Crower Stage 3 needs higher comp then I'll go for a Stage 2 for now till I can get the engine built.

I've been looking at LSDs but don't know which to buy?

I've been looking at the different tranny setups and I'm thinking that with having a D series engine I'm gona want to have a mid-upper range tranny.

Then if the AEM pulley isn't needed then it'll save me money.

For wheels/tires/brakes I've gone with 15x7 Team Dynamics with 205/50/15 Azenis tires. Brakes are 12.2 Wilwood front w/ Fastbrakes 11 rear. 99-00 Civic Si MC/Booster and 40/40 Prop Valve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts