Honda D Series Forum banner

My z6 vitara EJ coupe build

7K views 80 replies 23 participants last post by  hatchback 
#1 · (Edited)
So I thought I would post up my project! Still in the way beginning of it all, and I know I'm gonna need a little help on the way.

Heres what's going on, Bought this car about a month ago with full plans to boost it! Had a few civics in the past, but finally have my own house and garage so I can finally do this up! And plus my DD at the moment is a lifted cherokee, so what's more fun than a turbo civic and a lifted jeep!

Just picked up my block from the machine shop yesterday.
d16z6
Bored (.5 over) honed, cleaned and assembled.
Already got my new water pump, oil pump, thermostat, tensioner and arp headstuds, etc etc as well as cleaned all that grimey crap up

75.5 vitaras, and FJ I beams

Just running a stock z6 head for new, new valve seals is about it. Painted my IM, I liked how 'max's' came out so I had to steal that idea :redface: And just some crappy experimental paintjob on the VC

Still collecting parts for the turbo but so far some of the major pieces are
2nd hand spoolin performance log, and 2.5" dp

tial 38mm and boost controller (thinking ahead already)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
intercooler measures about 28X6X3
Fits pretty snug under the 'metal bumper' and the bottom of the rad support, just need some mounts made up

some old BBS mesh wheels I've had forever and finally got them all cleaned up, and some fresh rubber to throw on them

and one crappy in the garage on jackstands pic of the car..

Got plenty more goodies that werent worth taking pics of (oil lines IC piping all the boxes of new oem engine parts!
I'm going to be ordering a turbo this week but still looking around.
Also need injectors, but I'm not sure what to get. I guess my HP goal is at least 250hp, more if I can squeeze it out. any suggestions?

And just for fun a pic of me and a buddies jeep (mines the black one)

#3 ·
well, that setup would be good to 400whp... i sudgest pickin up 750cc injectors or larger, and a bullseye 50 trim.
I have almost the exact setup you do, except i went with eagle h-beams, link in my sig.

#5 ·
I've been silently following your build. I was looking at turbos earlier, saw the one you had, and it pretty much fits my budget and is about the size I thought would be good.

I will get more pics of the coupe, but honestly I brought it home, threw it up on stands and have been wrenching on it ever since. Never drove it, nothing! But my warning is they will be all bad in the garage pics!

#4 ·
Moar picharz of teh c00p.......now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 ·
Coupe + BBS RZ Wheels + "go-fast" parts = 14 points of rep you will recieve.

(After I can rep again.... All rep'd out for today.)

#9 · (Edited)
:update on some progress:

Been too cold to get a lot done, and I'm waiting on this damn clutch still :mad:

So I got the head put back on, along with some accessories, set the timing and so on. Almost had a fit when I was putting the valve cover on and one of the cover bolts snapped as I was tightening it down. Luckily I came on here and read some threads on what to do, and everyone was saying they usually back out easily, and easily enough I was able to convince it to come back out!!!!!!!

Anyways onto some pictures, still sitting in the same place, I was given a little dolly which has turned out to be a great little engine building stand, I have a normal stand but this one makes installing the tranny simple :bigok:

just a side shot, im excited about it, never owned honda engine this clean....or built :boink:

head on and torqued

all buttoned up

got so much crap in-route to me, im getting antsy! wheels and tires getting mounted up this week also.

couple questions maybe someone can help with.
I'm breaking it in N/A because its not inspected, and don't really want my local garage driving it around on a basemap before its tuned.

It will run ok as is on stock ECU map or no? only gonna be a short window of time and I dont NEED to drive it.

Also what oil weight/brand to break it in with. I read some threads of people using 'crappy' oil to break it in with etc. Gotta look back into it..

#10 · (Edited)
Ok guys I think I need some help if anyone is actually watching any of my progress here :redface:

So I got everything together tonight, clutch finally made it so I put that on and got the trans back on.

Now I've never done a timing belt or set the timing on an SOHC before, so now I'm second guessing myself as to whether its right or not. Please let me know!

I set the timing marks in the correct positions on the crank gear with the block mark, as well as the cam with the mark on the back cover. I put #1 (farthest to the RIGHT if looking at the engine from the front, at TDC when I could feel air pushing out of the spark plug hole.

The haynes manual has me goofed on which position the rotor is in at #1.

Heres what it looks like. After digging I found out that firing order is
1 3 4 2

and dist order is?

1 4

If thats right, then I think I'm good.

heres my rotor position right now with cylinder 1 (furthest right, at the top and timing marks are on)

I know this is all probably common knowledge I just dont wanna F it up now that I've got all these pennies tied up in it! Thanks

#13 · (Edited)
Still at it over here. Still to cold to do too much at once. Everything is ready to go back in, but I found some bushings on the control arms that are sloppy and busted. So I have new energy bushings to put in yet. But heres a couple more shots of where its at. My mounts are setting up with some poly fill also!

Just about ready to go home

Anxious for the day I can get it back on the ground and even just push it outside!

I also need a set of obd1 injectors. Just stock. Found out that one of mine is cracked on the tip. The JY is closed because of too much snow.

#15 ·
Thanks max. I think I might get to drop it in today or tomorrow. Weather is cooperating for once. Started taking out the control arm bushings. Any one got any tips or tricks for getting the one out that has the metal sleeve in there? Without using a press?? If need be I can take them to a garage to have them pressed out, but would be nice to do it myself and be done with it!

#18 · (Edited)
No I didnt, they are all still showing up for me? I did just shuffle around my photobucket so the tags might have changed...doh.... There will be plenty more to come, I'm not giving up on D series yet

edit: ah shit. I just reloaded and they are gone, that was stoopid

again...phew all better, I dont do that again..

#20 ·
Everything looks correct, all the marks are together etc, the only thing I was messed up on was where the distributor was supposed to be pointing on #1 tdc. The haynes manual has a pretty crappy diagram thats not at all what I have found on the internet.

#22 ·
Its good for a basic guide, but always tends to leave ya hanging!

As for updates just went out and got a battery and fluids and all. Still need to get some injectors but I dont feel like spending my whole day at the junkyard so start up is gonna have to wait until next week. Oh and I took the control arms to a shop to have the bushings pressed out, going to pick them up now! Maybe I'll be rolling this beyotch out of the garage today and see how she looks!

#23 · (Edited)
Need some advice again.

Should the axle go in further than this? It feels like the snap ring is going into the groove, but its been a while since I did axles. It seems like it should go in more, but I don't know.

edit: nevermind again. Im just still not persistant enough lol. Used the whole hub to get some leverage on it and it popped right in.

#24 ·
Haven't updated much lately. My turbo is sitting at the post office right now, gonna pick that up first thing tomorrow AM.

Got everything all together, and got the car on the ground finally. Still gotta go over everything another time or 3 before I turn the key yet.

Heres a teaser until tomorrow.

needs a lip

#26 ·
Time for an overdue update:::

Been doing some work lately. Got EVERYTHING done finally, at least to run the motor N/A for a bit. So today I pulled the plugs, pulled the ecu fuse and primed the oil pump. Put everything back in and it chugged a few times, then fired right up. I let it run a few, looked for leaks, and hopped in to take a drive to seat the new rings :)

Fail on the breaks, pedal falls right to the floor and wont build pressure with the car running. So that just became tomorrows project. Anyways heres some new pics of the car, and some random shit I've got goin on.

shaved and waiting on AN bung fittings.

home made catch can I'm working on cos I just can't justify spending $200 for a good setup

and got this guy last week. Bullseye 50 trim

#28 ·
FINALLY everything is up and working properly. Turned out that my master cylinder was bad. So I got to drive it today! Did about 15 miles or so on the backroads near my house. Used non detergent 30wt oil. Came back and drained the oil, came out just a blue as it went in. So far so good. The only problem so far, engine wise was my upper rad hose sprung a leak (brand new at that).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.