Honda D Series Forum banner

161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
IDK! Maybe you should just rebuild it for me haha probably cost more to ship then what you would charge haha
Most ISB+seals and cleaning are $200, round trip shipping would be same $200 counting the box materials.

I'd see what Brian G. or Joe Sawyer would want to do the work. I know Brian has been busy crushing Hondas to clear the H&A Salvage yard.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Most ISB+seals and cleaning are $200, round trip shipping would be same $200 counting the box materials.

I'd see what Brian G. or Joe Sawyer would want to do the work. I know Brian has been busy crushing Hondas to clear the H&A Salvage yard.
Where are Brian and Joe located? are they closer to the midwest? I could look into shipping it out, I would like it to be done right :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Where are Brian and Joe located? are they closer to the midwest? I could look into shipping it out, I would like it to be done right :)
Arizona :)

HASport (Brian)and Locash Racing (Joe)

When I first started into these trannys there was an article in GRM about Brian's yellow CRX that had a JRSC added by Oscar himself. The tranny was refreshed, etc.

Simple by asking Brian G. on the old Hybrid forum we were on he gave me the supplier. I went to the tranny shop I deal with now and was able to CLEAN OUT the local warehouse and at one point the whole national warehouse network.

O.G. Since 1996....

EDIT PS: I just sent a message to Brian, we'll see.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great thread; excellent resource for the bearing pullers which I rented from Autozone today :) It took 5 minutes to remove the 2 bearings from the case and back to the store they went!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Since JerBear hasn't posted in here.

If you are around AZ and need tranny work, contact Brain G. at HASport.

[email protected]

They have a Honda Tech that does tranny work for them on the side. His prices so far are very similar to Aquafina's and mine.

I prefer to work on regional transmissions any more as I've been lucky shipping trannys and never had a claim. I've only had one claim of a tranny that was shipped to me, some how the $1000 Quaife just fell out. UPS picked up the tranny and I've never heard about it again.

I'd love to build ALL the trannys, but common sense prevails here.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
UPDATE!!!

Update on my tranny.

If you've read the entire thread you'll know that I've been suffering from a 3rd gear grind ever since I rebuilt the tranny. In addition to this, it seems to have begun to leak oil. I wasn't sure if it was from my piss poor RTV sealant job (or choice of sealant used) or if my axle seals just decided to die. Either way, I had an OEM replacement synchro supplied by transzex, aka Mista Bone himself and new OEM axle seals to throw in there.

Here it is, I decided not to worry about the shift linkage (aka bitch pin) and just removed everything as a whole. Take a look, FILTHY with grime due to the oil leak!

A pic of the MFactory LSD from the outside...

Then here she is, all cleaned up and ready for tear down.

Opened.

Luckily for me, the 3rd gear synchro is located on the mainshaft. This means I could remove the gears with a simple propane torch and a ghetto press (ie a steel pipe and mini sledge hammer from home depot :p ). Upon lifting the main and counter shafts, I got a good look at the counter shaft needle bearing. Apparently my stakes held up, and the bearing hasn't walked out at all. No scoring. Nice. Anyway, after removing the old synchro, and installing the OEM replacement, I decided to take a closer look.

Here we go... You'll want to click to view full size on this one...

...if you look very closely, you can see that the inner ridges are somewhat flattened. The OEM brass Bone sent to me did not look like this. Obviously this thing wore down FAST.

Anyway, I replaced the axle seals, cleaned the mating surfaces of the case, and applied some Ultra Grey RTV sealant, designed for high torque applications, in hopes that it will hold up better than the black stuff I used before.

I finished installing everything last night and took it for a spin. Guess what? 3rd gear grind is gone. In fact, it now feels like 3rd gear is my best gear, in terms of shifter feel.

So.... Guess what the moral of the story is? Yup, you got it -- DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON CHEAP AFTERMARKET SYNCHROS!!!

Thanks for reading. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
just went through all 9 pages. great pics. it's a shame that most of the writeups here are so old with broken image links

this is a great informative thread in need of a respectful bump

one day i hope to rebuild my s20 with a synchrotech kit

161 - 170 of 170 Posts