Honda D Series Forum banner

141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I may just pull the trans out and fix the grinding. Its pretty annoying.

You and me both. It's been a couple years and I still haven't fixed my 3rd gear grind. In fact, someone broke into my car and stole the 3rd gear synchro that Bone sent me (been sitting in my glove box) just a few weeks ago..... Now that I'm done with classes for the time being, I was planning on replacing that synchro! Ugh.

Anyway, talk about dead thread revival. I have forgotten everything I did to my tranny, and I was looking at all the details for when I open it again to replace that synchro.

I hope this thread has helped some people on their rebuilds!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I re-read this thread and I've already dinked over a "practice tranny" (lol)... mad props to bone for helping me and assisting me with this... I hate pushing to do stuff within a certain timeframe, but I gotta work with the race schedule!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just saw this thread popup and read the whole thing....great work. Bit more involved than I thought but I just might get a scrap tranny to practice one

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just stumbled upon this and WOW great job man! Sucks about the Garbage Synchros.

I was actually looking for information on LSD Transmission and saw this Thread

I'm about to jump in and do a rebuild on my 87 CRX Si Tranny, Grinds everytime (1st-2nd) and most of the time (2nd-3rd)

Would I be able to get an LSD for it? If anyone could give me a quick description on LSD that would be great?! Where should I get the synchros and such? What type? I really wanna stop the grinding! Thanks!

REP'D!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Depending on application your OEM diff could be converted to a LSD, about your only option unless you find a Mugen hiding in the corner.

Synchrotech can get the carbon synchros except for 5th gear.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You're the exception to the rule, Ben. lol!
haha

In reality I bought the syncros because they were cost effective and I was only really hoping for OEM performance. After the install and a slight brake in period they are now working dreams. I changed from Torco MTF to Redline light weight shock proof (our race team buys the boxes so I get it super cheap), the shifting requires slightly more effort but has a really nice feel to it. After months of ragging on it, HARD track laps and Canada's premier tracks, no grinds, no weird noises.

I also have the carbon 5th

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Houseman gears?
Jamie Houseman, the man himself.

Took a tour of his shop and hung out with him for a while. Unbelievably smart guy. He came to our next race at Mosport to see how everything was going. We run a saenz gearbox, Houseman engineering touches throughout.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
I got to meet him at Mid Ohio, ended up cleaning bear snot of Kirk Olsen's gears, aka GT Pilot on here. The next time we met he had sold his car to Kirk, again at Mid Ohio, he really wasn't in a mood to talk.

I learned to like hot tea because of Jamie.

141 - 160 of 170 Posts