Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I finally got a start on rebuilding my tranny today.

Since this is my very first time opening up a transmission, I've taken pictures for each and every step of the way, except for a couple parts (because my phone battery died!!!)...

Also, since this is my first time PLEASE give me your comments and opinions!! Quite frankly, I don't know what I'm doing - i'm just following the steps printed in the HELMS manual. So, if you see something I did wrong PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!! I don't want to screw this up (hopefully I haven't already) so I need everyone's help on this.

: - )

Anyway, on to the build/rebuild: My plan for this tranny is to rebuild it with new bearings, seals, and synchros - and also install an MFactory LSD. I bought a full rebuild kit from Dave @ SMS. He was very helpful with the rebuild kit, so a big props goes out to him!

- The below picture shows my taping job on the mainshaft. This was my first mistake. I put WAAAYY too much tape on. It was so thick that when I needed to lift out the mainshaft/shiftfork/countershaft assembly it got stuck, because of my STUPID tape! Yes, I'm a moron.

-Here's the tranny ready to go.

-Unbolted brackets. I also took off the slave cylinder.

-I should've done this FIRST!!! Stood up the case on wood so the mainshaft wasn't being smashed against my workbench.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

-Take this thing out... It definitely had some RTV sealant in there.

-There you can see the clip holding in the countershaft.

-Removed all of the case bolts.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
-Before I undid the clip I put some shims in to keep the case separated. This is a one-man job gentlemen, so I've only got two hands. Either way, my shim idea seemed to work out pretty well - I'm not saying I know what I'm doing, but let's just say I was satisfied with this specific step.

-Here's my tool of choice. And the end result, the snap ring came loose on my 2nd try!

-Case is open.

-First thing I looked at was the magnet. As you can see, there is TONS of gunk in there! In fact, it looks like the inside of the case is pretty dirty in general... I'm not excited about that. I'm guessing this tranny wasn't taken care of when it was in use...?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
-Shot from above.

-Cleaned off the magnet a little more. It can be better...

-The next thing I did was undo the interlock bolt. I marked it, then went to town with my custom breaker bar... Let me just say, that thing was a bitch. All the sealant they used made it a pain in the ass to loosen.

-Next step I did was on the reverse holder gear whatever thing.. Looking at the holder, does it look worn out/damaged? Looks to me like there is a slight wear mark in the opening...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-I went a little out of order... Is that a mistake? Anyway, at this point I went for the shift arm B bolt.

-At this point the mainshaft, countershaft, and shift fork assembly are all ready to be lifted out... But mine wouldn't come out...

-After 20-30 minutes of pulling and pulling, they finally came off... My problem (like I stated above): I put WAY too much tape on the mainshaft end... It got stuck. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

-Next I inspected the clutch housing case. Looks like my countershaft needle bearing has some scoring on it.... Probably more proof that whomever owned this tranny before must've beat the sh!t out of it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-Now I went for the differential. Used the old hammer trick.

-At this point I figured I would give it a shot to remove the bearing that was keeping in the speedo gear. As you can see, I have no idea what I'm doing. Needless to say that this gear puller didn't do a thing... So I tried pounding in the fingers/arms with a hammer so they'd grip underneath the bearing.. I ended up cracking my speedo gear. Like I said, I'm a moron.

-I put the diff aside and took the next step on the countershaft. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the top bearing was VERY loose and wobbly. It didn't spin very well and it was quite noisy when attempting to do so. Here we go, taking off the locknut..

---At this point my phone died so I couldn't get anymore pictures... But I pulled off both of the bearings on the countershaft via my rented gear puller. I also pulled out all 3 bearings inside the case with my other Autozone rented tool.

It's late now, so I just wrapped everything up and I'm about to go to bed.

Now, I just ordered (from majestic) some new "Friction Dampers" for the countershaft, along with a new locknut and speedo gear. So, this means I've got a few days to wait before I can really go any further... Even so, in the meantime I'm planning on washing the tranny case with a pressure washer. After that I'll put in the new bearings in the case. I'm planning on staking the countershaft case bearing so it doesn't come up as much. That won't be very difficult...

..But my biggest concern is with the mainshaft and countershafts. In order to put in my new synchros (and the friction dampers that the manual said I need to replace) I apparently need a press. While the countershaft doesn't look too bad, the mainshaft, on the other hand, looks nearly impossible to press out each synchro sleeve. Is there any trick to doing this? Or am I just asking for some major trouble?

Since I have no press, I was thinking about buying one from Harbor Freight.. And if I don't break it, I'll probably just return it when I'm finished.. ;)

Anyway, that's where I left everything. Also, one last thing... I put the new LSD diff in the freezer. Is it okay if I leave it there until my speedo gear gets here (2, 3, 4 days?) or should I just take it out of the freezer until I've got the parts in hand...? I don't want to screw anything up more than I already have.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Don't NEED a press, but its how I do it.

Don't need to freeze the diff. Put a light coat of oil on the bearings and bake them for 10 minutes at 170-180 degrees. They go right on. Or, use a press like I do. :p

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Fuck where do I start???

That little puller trying to remove a diff bearing. not gonna happen, I have one just like it!

Abuse of a Craptsman ratchet, I use an old shift rod :)

The countershaft bearins has walked out in the past, then walked back into proper placement. Tap it in fully then stake it into place.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
BTW, Damn newbies that pay attention, my faith here is renewed!

I'll dig in deeper here once I get some rest............

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Fuck where do I start???

That little puller trying to remove a diff bearing. not gonna happen, I have one just like it!
what do you use to remove the bearings off the diff?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Like I said above, I just ordered a new speedo gear so I'm just gonna toss the old differential and not bother with it.

Aqua, thanks for your input. I'll pull the new diff out of the freezer and just let it sit until my new parts come in.

Bone, thanks for the info about the countershaft needle bearing. I pulled it out and have a brand new one for replacement... I was thinking about putting loctite around it, along with staking it to help keep it in. Or do you think the loctite is unnecessary?

A question for both of you: how does my tranny look overall? Is it too beat up/dirty, or do you think I am ok so far?

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll be putting up some more pictures here in a few hours.

·
Registered
982 Posts
keep up the good work and those pic coming. I will be doing the same here very soon. Rep points for you for a good job and not being afraid of being eaten alive by the seniors that like to jump on noobies.

·
D-Series Rally Man
843 Posts
hey man rep for you for not being afraid of attacking the trannys and the seniours! Good luck gettting it back together, question i havnt pulled my Z6 Tranny aprt yet but will be in the future, what does that 'Interlocking' bolt that you had trouble loosening do??

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice work so far.
Whats the reason you are marking the interlock bolt?

As for the need of a press.
Of course, if you have one use it, but don't go buy one for this task only.
I used a butane torch and had no problems at all.
Doesn't need much heat applied either.
A few seconds of evenly distributed heat, and the gears and synchro sleeves fall off by gravity alone when you tap the shaft on a wooden surface.
Same on re-assembly.
A little heat, a suitable pipe and a hammer to tap it home.

Love the amount of pics.
Keep it up :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses everyone!!

Affen: I really appreciate your input.
~First, I marked the ISB bolt because I don't have any way to measure the torque when it comes to tightening it. I marked it so I know how far to go when I put it back on.
~Second, that butane torch (would propane work? or perhaps MAPP gas torch?) idea sounds MUCH better than going through the hassle of using a press... This is a life-saver! I'll pick up a torch tomorrow and give it a shot. Pics will be included, of course.
~Third, I'm extraordinarily flattered that you think I'm doing a good job. Haha. Thanks man, coming from you that is a big compliment.

Okay so I got some time to work more on it today... First I took my tranny case to my job and used our pressure washer on it to clean it up.

But before that, I just want to show the tools I used to get the bearings out. A big thanks goes out to Autozone and their 'deposit only' tool rental service...

-Started with these....

-Ended pulling out all of these..... (excluding the countershaft bearings, I used the 3 arm puller for that.)

-Now, here is the tranny case before....

-And here it is after. I sprayed it all down with simple green, then blasted it with a pressure washer.

-I also tried my best to clean off the magnet...
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Next step is to remove the final drive ring gear from the stock differential..

-Put it in a bench vice, used wood to keep from damaging it. Remember that these are reverse threads, and they're pretty damn tight. Luckily this vice is at my job, so I went to the plumbing section and got some galvanized pipe to make myself a breaker bar...

After I got back home, I pulled out the mainshaft, countershaft, and shift forks to inspect them...

-Shifter forks. All I did was make sure everything was clicking up and down properly. I didn't understand how to measure the clearances according to HELMS... Keep in mind all I have is a basic feeler gauge. Either way, it was pretty clean and the action was smooth.

-Initial inspection of the countershaft.. Looks pretty good, one of the brass synchros is showing a TINY bit of wear on the dog teeth, can't really see it in the pic though...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
-Measuring the clearances between the gears and the spacer collars according to HELMS... This is the countershaft.

-Did the same on the mainshaft....

I know those aren't the best pics, but measuring these clearances wasn't too bad. The thinnest element on the guage was .008", and most of the clearances I was measuring were supposed to be thinner than that (mostly between .001-.006). I couldn't get the gauge into any of the thin spots, meaning they are within spec - as far as I could tell.. I also checked the operation of the gear selectors. Each one was able to click into it's neighboring synchros without a hitch.

It all looks really good to me, but I really wouldn't know any better... :p

That's it for today. I'm gonna start undoing the mainshaft and countershaft tomorrow with a torch. I hope my gears are all able to slide out without much hassle like in Affen's build!

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm beginning to feel less and less intimidated by the whole project... After looking at all the gears and reading through the manual, it doesn't seem quite as bad as I first thought it is.. Still, I'm not even halfway finished.

I'll keep you guys updated.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts