Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok boys (& girls), so I got hooked up with a y7 from a member here.

I got all my necessary tools, took it apart and now I want to figure out what to do next.

Here are some pics for you picture Whores (that will include me too:mrgreen:)

D16y7 Head....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY SINGLE CAM - NO VTAAAK!!
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Now I know why people hate these Damn Intake Manifold Gaskets!

a little Brake cleaner won't hurt....

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was my first time using this thing so it was pretty easy.....

Mr. Magnetico Screwdriver was my friend to remove the Keepers....

and out came my valves....

I've seen how some of you use small boxes, egg cartons or baggies.
I used baggies and marked them so I won't mix nothing up.

As I'm wiping everything down I noticed a Tiny Red dot. WTF? I didn't even feel when I cut myself.
They told me that's Cut #1 of many:hammer:

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Head work will be prepped for Boost.

I will Regrind the Cam.
Going to a Machine shop soon and see what they can do to be safe for Boost. (What should I do?)
I like that Aem adjustable Cam Gear.
What kind of Valves, springs and stuff should I upgrade to??

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Its like this what ever your gonna do do it now. But the stock valves should be good just get springs and retainers. 3angle valvejob get some port work maybe hopefully 99EJ6T will chime in he had a y7.But I will be keeping a eye on this one I was gonna do a Y7 but have sense changed my mind on to other projects ya know

·
Registered
407 Posts

a critical part of building a head is a good valve job. might want to talk with your machine shop about that.

m.

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its like this what ever your gonna do do it now. But the stock valves should be good just get springs and retainers. 3angle valvejob get some port work maybe hopefully 96EJ6T will chime in he had a y7.But I will be keeping a eye on this one I was gonna do a Y7 but have sense changed my mind on to other projects ya know
I heard the other way around. Upgrade My Valves and Keep springs n stuff stock. I'll wait and see what the shop says and go from there. I'll take a couple of Valves to measure stuff out.

a critical part of building a head is a good valve job. might want to talk with your machine shop about that.

LoL!

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
3-angle vlave job and milling, depending on the pistons your using. Unless the shop is experienced dont let them port, they could screw it up severly and hurt your performance

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3-angle vlave job and milling, depending on the pistons your using. Unless the shop is experienced dont let them port, they could screw it up severly and hurt your performance
Thanks for that Heads up. My trusty mechanic is going to give me a phone number and address of a place he knows.
I will get a y7 Block soon and build it too Later (still undecided what plans will go on that) I don't want to do too many things at one time. If I come across good prices n stuff then I will. I just picked up a Bare y8 Intake Manifold (auto) so I got to put that together also. It will come along little by little.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
if you just take the casting marks out that will be more than enough if your boosting. There are plenty of write ups to read about porting and such but you wanna leave it to professionls unless you know what your doing. You could port match the Intake side of the head only and the manifold only on the exhaust side as well. THis removes and steps in the travel of the flow

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
if you just take the casting marks out that will be more than enough if your boosting. There are plenty of write ups to read about porting and such but you wanna leave it to professionls unless you know what your doing. You could port match the Intake side of the head only and the manifold only on the exhaust side as well. THis removes and steps in the travel of the flow
Correct! Just because you've been porting V8 heads for 20 years doesn't mean that they'll know exactly what work to do where on our heads to maximize their efficiences. Like I told my machinist a couple weeks ago...just take my head and grind out a new 3-angle, back cut my Supertechs, clean up/polish the bowls, examine the deck for flatness (mill if needed), and tank it. I'll mess with gasket-matching the ports...

GL on your project in the works!

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to put this together for Boost. I've been Reading Dawg, I don't want to go too extreme like I said, but something safe for me - for starters. I won't do it myself cause I've never experienced anything like this but I would want to know how to do it tho. Maybe getting a couple of bare heads from a Junk Yard and Practice. Some other time tho. 1st things 1st.

Correct! Just because you've been porting V8 heads for 20 years doesn't mean that they'll know exactly what work to do where on our heads to maximize their efficiences. Like I told my machinist a couple weeks ago...just take my head and grind out a new 3-angle, back cut my Supertechs, clean up/polish the bowls, examine the deck for flatness (mill if needed), and tank it. I'll mess with gasket-matching the ports...

GL on your project in the works!
Thanks Dawg:TU: I want this thing to be good enough to be safe that's all. I'll see what I do and let you all know. I just found another Spot today. I'll ask n see what they do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wasnt it a pain to use that valve spring compressor? It was for me anyway cause it is too big to fit on the retainer and it kept poping off the c clip but good luck with the build .Cant wait to see what you do ith it.

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wasnt it a pain to use that valve spring compressor? It was for me anyway cause it is too big to fit on the retainer and it kept poping off the c clip but good luck with the build .Cant wait to see what you do ith it.
The one I have was a little wide also, not too much. To be safe, I used a hammer and closed it up a bit:TU: It was easy for me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts