Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, just thought I'd make a thread outlining what I'm going to do so you guys can give me some input on ways to improve what I'm doing.

Motor: d16a6 (got it)
Eagle Rods (got 'em)
SRP Pistons (8:5:1) (got 'em)
ARP Rod Bolts (got em)
AEBS Head Studs
Cometic 75.5mm Head Gasket
ACL Main & Rod Bearings (got 'em)
Not sure about the valve train
Exospeed cam

Machine Work
Notch the block
Hone cylinders
Deck the block
P&P head

Turbo setup
Not sure what manifold I want to run
t3/t04e 57 trim .63 a/r turbo
PWR Intercooler (8.25" x 6" x 2.87") (got it)
2.25-inch Intercooler Piping (got it)
Tial 38mm Wastegate (got it)
HKS SSQV BOV (got it)
StealthModePerformance Oil Lines
3.0" Downpipe

Fuel
RC 550cc Injectors
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

Suspension
ESP Traction Bars
ESP Motor Mounts
Omni Street Full Coilovers (got it)
Omni Lower Control Arms (got it)

Transmission
Si Transmission (got it)
OBX LSD
ACT Stage 3 Clutch (got it)
ACT Lightened Flywheel (got it)

Electronics
OBD0 --> OBDI Conversion Harness
Chipped p28 w/ CROME
AEM UEGO Wideband
GReddy Profec B Spec 2 (got it)
Gauges: EGT, Boost, Oil PSI (got it)

?Wondering if I should do a catch can setup.
?Don't know which cam to get
?Not sure what I want to do with the suspension

===

I just started piecing stuff together in the past week, so I only have a few things. I also have a spare a6 tranny that I plan on rebuilding (maybe) and putting an LSD in. =)

I plan on running two boost levels.. 14psi low boost --> 20psi high boost and I'm hoping for 275-325whp. Hoping my tuner can get me there.

Pictures:

Here's what its going into. ;)

·
Registered
EJ8
845 Posts
not sure on that LSD u have listed but it looks pretty solid. i would sugguest a catch can or later down the road. as of the manifold, it depends if u want a/c or not. if not then u can go all out and get a topmount since you are building the motor the sky is the limit ya know lol or 93 octane hehe. ummm or a ramhorm style manifold. those come in both a/c comp and non-a/c comp. since there is no point to run high psi settings on a log mani. no other machine i know off hand. again that looks solid unless u and a angle job for your head. as for cam, dunno. up to u. there are alot of cams out there. as for suspension, depends what the car will be doing. if its just a DD then some coilovers or springs and some nice shocks or pay some extra money for full coilovers. if u plan on racing for autoX and what not then maybe some sways and reinforcement bar/brace. all i can think of right now. i hope that helps

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What made you choose the SRPs?
I've heard they're the best for the money and I've never heard any horror stories. For the power I'm looking for.. ~275whp, they're the best you can get.

Do you have anything against them? Or any reason why I should go another brand?

·
Registered
EJ8
845 Posts
reason i said not to go log is that with a t3/t4 u can easily get 300whp out if it with a nice setup and tune which i see. log manifolds are cheaper but restrict flow on high boost settings. the whole purpose of a topmount manifold is not only its pricey cuz it looks fancy but 100% performance .... but it is sexy hehe.. but yeah you want something with better flow when u get in the high hp numbers. ask ppl here or on turbod16.com. i dont know the reason behind ur goals and y only 275whp, there is still potential with the t3/t4. good brands out there are lovefab, sls, spoolinperformance, full-race. i cant think of any more off my head. i will get a link for you to better explain manifolds

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
I'm keeping my A/C. And I was really thinking about going log.. but you say there's no way to run high boost on a log.

How come?
you can run high boost like you're wanting with a log mani. Bizzar is running 20psi on a log mani on his dd and hasn't had any problems.

·
Registered
EJ8
845 Posts
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=925312

one link off hand from a quick search. logs are great and spool quick but when u hit high whp settings things get a bit more complicated. true Bizzar is fine but i know atleast 3 on turbod16 that had logs and maxed them out and moved to something else. there are manifolds that at like log and ramhorn mixed. like the mani called quickac from lovefab.com i beleive. it really depends on ur goals, if u plan 300+ i would suggest something other than log but thats just me and what i concluded under research. u may find a different answer which by all means is great, more power to ya, ya know. How whp is Bizzar pushing because i forgot what turbo he is running?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont know the reason behind ur goals and y only 275whp, there is still potential with the t3/t4.
I'm just trying to be realistic. I don't want to be over optimistic then be let down on dyno day.

But either way, this thread is really making me think about a tubular manifold. =)

·
Registered
EJ8
845 Posts
true but also look at other ppl with t3/t4s and look at the numbers they are laying down. with a good tune and built motor i dont see y u cant do the same ya know. i see 300whp easy on a t3/t4. i have seen 2 ppl with 400whp on a t3/t4 turbo on their D-series. i wish i can go that high but only looking for 350whp-ish to start when the motor is build. if the motor is build right it will be the limit of 93 octane or whp that will stop me when its all set and done.

·
Registered
146 Posts
with that turbo at 20psi youll shatter your goal of 275hp even with a log mani

a 3" exhaust isnt overkill im goin with a custom 3" to an apexi ws turbo mufler, anyone pushing over 200whp can benefit from a 3" exhaust

im going with a stage one crower cam, something not too crazy so tuning wont be hell, you could also go with a turbo specific cam like the crower stage 2.

you pretty much have the machine work thing nailed, besides if you wanted to bore it out or run sleeves

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, crower stage 2 seems like a sure bet from what I've read.

I'm still trying to have this car streetable though. Think it'll be fine for a DD?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good thread. I will be checking it often. I am looking to do about the same build. If you can, you should post where you bought the parts from.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just picked up Auto Meter Sport Comp gauges: A/F, Boost, Oil PSI and EGT.

Will have pics later. I'm still getting a wideband, I think.. Its just, once I'm tuned do I really need to pay attention to where its at? As long as its green I know I'm straight.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bought suspension stuff today: Omni Power Full Street Coilovers & Rear LCA's., and taking the block to the machine shop tomorrow!

I'm about to order traction bars/motor mounts in the next few weeks as well. Let's get this show on the road.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.