Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mainly a lurker, but I guess it's time I post what I'm up to. This is from another forum where I'm pretty active. When it says corolla's, it's talking about my 85 and my 86 GTS's.

You know, it's funny. I got my first corolla 7-8 years ago. I always figured i'd be dedicated to them. I've even spent a couple years now building a crazy ass corolla designed to run with M3's and such.

Yet, there's always these ideas that flirt around in the back of my head for other projects. Ones that I know are crazy, aren't worth the time, and yet.....

These ideas come and go, sometimes they fade away, and other times they grow. Sometimes these ideas take on a life of their own, and it becomes almost an obsession. My red car started this way. I spent a year reading, researching, comparing, etc before I even bought a single part...

And as it nears it's completion, another idea kept peeking out. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking...

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
nice...but why

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...

Yeah, building a D series has been way cheaper then my corolla build, but it's also a lot less agressive. Anyways, some background and such. This car was one that my girlfriend and I campaigned in STS for a year or two. We've done the full GC coilovers with Koni's, corner balanced, just tons put into the suspension. I've always loved how the car drove. I also did a lot of the basic bolt ons and some tuning with Hondata.

Along came the miata though, and it kinda pushed the civic into daily driver status. Unfortantly, time had taken it's toll and 200K + how we beat on it left the motor tired and on it's last legs. Once I got it apart, cyl 3 was showing some interesting signs (and not in a good way). Det in the 3rd was obvious, along with pretty decent oil consumption.

It over heated once, and I went through, replaced a lot of the external coolant system pieces. Shortly there after, it again overheated, and with no external signs of where the coolant had gone. I didn't have the typical systems of a blown HG (oil in water/water in oil, white exhaust), but given oil consumption, coolant consumption, I decided to pull it.

On inspection of the main bearings and such, this poor motor didn't have much longer before something really bad was going to happen. So hey, good time to rebuild, and throw in a couple additional go fast parts.

So on to the build. Nothing too crazy. The goal is a comp ratio of 11.7:1.

Block wise, I'm using the Nippon Racing P29's, along with getting the rods castings removed and shotpeened. Fresh honda bearings, new oil and water pumps, new seals, ARP rods, head studs, and mains, etc. Just making it reliable with a little extra power. For ****s and giggles, I added a block guard and o-ringing. This is in case, down the line I decide to try something different. I did a similar thing to my turbo race 4AGE.

Head wise I've got the typical Comp cam 59300 and new Crespo valve springs. I don't plan on going really beyond stock redline, so I figured those valve springs should work okay. The head is getting some minor porting plus a new 3 angle valve job, general cleanup, etc. I'm just trying to make it a little smoother, a little cleaner and up the fun factor a bit. Once the head is closer to being finished up, I'll post some pics.

So anyways, that's my fun little project. I don't really have any future plans for the car besides using it as a daily driver, but who knows... Maybe once I've got it, I'll figure out something to do with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

It ran last night. I only ran it for a few seconds because it was getting late and I didn't want to annoy the neighbors. Anyways, it took a few seconds of cranking, and then it fired right up. It has a initial stumble, but it smoothed out right away.

The plan for today is to do a proper break in. Once the break in is complete, off to the dyno for some tuning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts