Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My turbo TrackRat

Hi!

After lurking around this site for several years I thought it was about time I made an intro post. I should start with saying that I'm from norway, so language owns me :p

The car is a 93 civic vei (or vx in the us, the one with the d15z1 engine), I bought it about four years ago. I had very little experience with cars from before, and it was just supposed to be my dd. I soon found out that the web was packed with info about this car, so you can say I got hooked :) Drag racing is not a very big scene here in norway, but instead we have trackdays at the circuit tracks, and it seems like autox is beginning to spread too. So I'm trying to get a car that is as fast and fun as possible around the track. I have pretty much decided what mods I'll be doing this winter, but I'm always open for opinions, thats why I made this thread :)

Here's the most of whats done to the car at this point. Everything is done by me, except the rust repairs. I really hated to let others do work on my car, but I didnt have the time or posibility to do it myself....
Car:
-ES bushings
-Tokico Illumina and Cobra springs
-260mm front brakes and rear discs. Galfer pads.
-Rust is now gone from the rear quarter panels
-Megan Exhaust
-Toyo R888 medium compound street legal semislicks
-13 or 14mm rear sway bar and ~21mm front, cant remember excact measure

Engine:
-D16Z6 swap, rebuilt with stock stuff because of oil burning. Didnt plan on turbo at this stage :p
-Saab t3 .42/.48 50 trim turbo
-HM turbo manifold
-Prescision intercooler, modified to backdoor entry to get shorter charge pipes
-egay bov
-prescision 440 injectors
-LSD clutch with street disc
-Mishimoto half size radiator
-Innovate LC-1 wideband
-eCtune. Started with crome free and got it tuned with that, but got tired of all the small bugs and bought eCtune. Street tuned it myself and its been working godd since then.

I had some overheating issues at the track, but after making a funnel for the fan, lifting the hood, cutting the bumper, reducing the amount of antifreeze and making a cai for the turbo I got to rape on it until my brake fluid was boiling, so I think that problem is solved now. I have removed the brake shields for better cooling and replaced the dot4.1 fluid with dot5.1 now, so I'm hoping it helps :) The manifold cracked too, but I made som braces, and it seems like its holding up nice now.

Edit: Update 2010 new mod list:

Car:
-ES bushings
-OTS yellow konis and GC coilovers 550F/600R springs
-Omnipower (I think) camber kit -3 front, -2.2 rear
-260mm front brakes from dohc del sol) and rear discs. Carbotech XP10 pads front, Ferrodo ds2500 rear.
-Homemade exhaust, 3" dp, 2.5 exhaust
-Toyo R888 205/50-15
-22mm itr rear rear sway bar with asr brace and ~21mm front, cant remember excact measure
-Mfactory lsd

Engine:
-D16Z6 swap, vitara 75.5 pistons and fjr-spec long rods
-Garrett gt2560 turbo, internally gated
-Cast manifold
-Prescision intercooler, homemade mild steel pipes
-still egay bov, homemade diaphram :p
-prescision 550 injectors
-LSD clutch with street disc
-Fullsize cxracing radiator
-Innovate LC-1 wideband
-Neptune'd [email protected]

Here's some random pictures:

When I bought it:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

I have some videos at the track too. They are not edited, and probably pretty boring but I'll post them anyway, jic anyone wants to have a look... The first ones are from the first time ever with a turbo at the track and on old street tires. Some from a couple random trackdays, and the last ones are from a local honda meet.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/sklev/civic/?action=view&current=heat3768.flv
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/sklev/civic/?action=view&current=heat2768.flv
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/sklev/civic/?action=view&current=DSCN4564_001.flv
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/sklev/civic/?action=view&current=DSCN4728.flv
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/sklev/ch rudskogen 08/?action=view&current=DSCN4833.flv
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/sklev/ch rudskogen 08/?action=view&current=DSCN4832.flv
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/sklev/ch rudskogen 08/?action=view&current=DSCN4831.flv
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/sklev/ch rudskogen 08/?action=view&current=DSCN4830.flv

The mods that will be made this winter:
-Vitara build with fjt's I-beam rods (already bought)
-Turbo upgrade. 46 trim t04e with a .48 stage 1 hot side. (already bought) I'm going for about 250whp, so I want a pretty small hot side for faster spoolup
-Oil cooler
-LSD. Hoping for a mfactory, but it depends when they are out for sale
-Stiffer rear sway bar and brace, probably a 19mm
-Rear camber kit
-Some kind of suspension upgrade, I need stiffer springs, havent decided what to get yet

I think thats about it. Comments and advices are very welcome!

Edit:
Oh, and btw, thanks for a great site! This is one of a few sites that taught me almost everything I know about cars.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
wow its looking great keep it up.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'm actually quite surprised of how much abuse the stock d16 could take. I know there has been put down much bigger numbers on stock blocks, but I didnt find anyone running on a track. I was planning to test the new turbo on the stock block too, just to see if it could handle a bit more, but unfortunately I didnt get time to do it, and now the tracks has closed for the winter. Next time I hit the track, I will hopefully have a vitara'ed bottom end :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wow, thanks for all comments :)

Just noticed something...is that a custom fan shroud you made for that slim fan or what?
Yes, it was something I threw together at work. I got some advice from a friend when I was overheating at the track, and the way the slim fan was sitting originally, it was only drawing air through parts of the radiator (right behind the blades). Now it uses the whole surface.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice... i like how you raised your hood
That helped a ton with underhood temperatures. Only drawback is that all the hot air gets sucked into the car now, so it gets ridicilous hot when its a sunny day at the track :p

But as long as the engine is happy, I'm happy :)

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Welcome :D. Nice looking ride, I thought about doing something similar with mine for the intake. Doesn't look bad at all :TU:.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. Yes, I would definately reccomend the intake. Very easy mod, and it lowered my intake temps with 10-15 degrees celsius.

All you need is a 90 degree bend to hack up, and another coupler (yes, I know my tig welds looks like shit, but its working, lol) ;)

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
wow, very nice ride man, very nice. Thats a different turbo manifold, but i like it

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow, very nice ride man, very nice. Thats a different turbo manifold, but i like it
Haha, yeah, it cracked a couple of times before I braced it (because I used pipes with only 2mm walls). So its looking pretty bad now. I got tired of wrapping the exhaust bandage on and off, so I just made a heat shield for it, and as a bonus noone can see it now ;) I might make a new one during the winter, depends on how much time I'll have.

Anyway, finally got to spend some hours at the garage, so I testfitted and had a small run with the new turbo today. It made 8 psi (wastegate pressure) @ 3500 rpm, and I needed to richen up my map above 6000 rpm, so I'm really happy with it. The same spoolup, and better topend than the last one :) Cant wait to see what she does on the dyno! Better get some bigger injectors, I dont want to max out the 440's if I can get higher numbers than they support.

Oh, and I got tired of my fartcan, so I'm about to mock up something with this.

Hoping its enough with one muffler, at least I'll give it a try.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts