Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just finished my build and got it installed but I had a few issues. I drove it around maybe 50 miles and a few heat cycles. It's still smoking a bit and I'm suspecting turbo seals.

Is there a way to tell if it's the turbo seals or if the crankcase isn't venting enough? There's oil buildup in the inlet. I have the stock black box ran to a catch can. Would it be safe to take the turbo off and run it off the manifold to see if it still smokes? I'll be doing a compression test and see how things look. I will also pull charge piping to see if there is oil

My clearances are:
Crank/rod bearings 20 thou
PTW 40 thou
Top ring 18 thou
2nd ring 20 thou
Oil rings 25 thou

I'm also running 15w40 oil

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
789 Posts
Whats your turbo drain line look like?

·
Registered
496 Posts
The drain has to go downhill though, that looks near flat if not elevated, have a better picture? Thats gotta interfere with your downpipe to where you placed it....

50 miles isnt enough to worry about a little smoke, be sure to keep doing some heavy compression braking, letting the motor slow the car down by downshifting

·
Registered
6,365 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fittings I had wouldn't allow me to go right below the turbo. I'll get a better pic. It doesn't go uphill at all but does flatten out a bit towards the pan. And I got about 3/8 of an inch clearance for the down pipe

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
The fittings I had wouldn't allow me to go right below the turbo. I'll get a better pic. It doesn't go uphill at all but does flatten out a bit towards the pan. And I got about 3/8 of an inch clearance for the down pipe

I'd reroute it.
If you have it go under the turbo it would solve the dp to oil line problem and should fit the smoking.

Does it smoke all the time?
And does the intake side of the turbo have oil in it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If the drain doesn't go downhill, it might be too much oil pressure to the turbo. You running a restrictor?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy I bought the turbo from said it was rebuilt so I'm not sure if he just didn't know how to rebuild or what. Is it safe to run off just the manifold? Does it proves enough back pressure, if I run it like that I'll know if it's the turbo

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also have a timing issue. From when I timed it first it was all the way one way on the dizzy and at 15 degrees so I moved the cam a tooth and it was all the way the other way at 16 degrees. I've never had this happen before and I had the ignitions advance off. Is there a difference in crank pulleys from a d15b7 and a d16z6? I ran the d15 because it only had 2 belt groves instead of 3

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How's this look? I decided not to use the eBay return line because I know there prone to leaking and I'm sure this will be much better once I get some clamps on there

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1395708171.555935.jpg

·
Registered
6,365 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got her back together and welded up my down pipe where the PO cut it to use a piece of pipe and clamps... Still smoking but seems much better I think it's just residual build up in the turbo and down pipe. We will see when I put her on the road tomorrow

1 - 20 of 36 Posts