Honda D Series Forum banner

Am I crazy or is this a decent idea?

• Your $%#$ing INSANE!

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • It's out there, but it could very well kick ass!

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have finally made the decision for sure that I want to build up a D15B to be well over 350Hp, and I am gonna try to break 400Hp.

Before you criticize me, I wanna explain and say my peice.

I want to have a 93-95 Del Sol with a 1.5L turbo.

I plan on speccing out a D15B7 with D15B internals cause I live in cali where CHP know what a D15B is. So that makes a B7 with 1.6L sleeved (decked to 1.5) forged h-beams and forged pistons (custom made), reworked oil pump, water pump, ported intake/exhaust, probably a 60 or 70Ar T3/T4, log mani, small intercooler with 3" piping, Titanium valves/ratainers, boost cam (still researching), fuel system (rail, pump, reg, etc.), upgraded suspension and all bushings replaced, traction bars, strut bars, Si Trans (hydro 5spd), LSD, 1000cc injectors, custom built intake manifold, wideband.... and more.

For the engine, I will be taking a crank out of a D15B and using it... I will send it in with an underdrive harmonic balancer to be balanced. :jdm:

I basically want a all-tiny and all-powerfull 1.5L with 400Hp...

I know I can achieve this goal with a 1.6 or a DOHC, but I want some off the wall nutty.... I have been doing the research every day and tallying up the parts info/costs.

I now it has nothing to do with HP but only slightly, but I plan on starting my baseline tune on the car with about 25PSI of boost, and to achieve my goal I believe I will have to hit over 30 PSI.

To help this setup I have a few ground breaking ideas. One of which consists of the charge piping coming from the FMIC being covered with a molded to fit TEC and heatsync. Just by applying a 12v source, the inner portion of the piping will get ice cold, and the outer heatsync will dissipate the heat..... this along with intake-mounted TEC's. I know this will throw off my IAT readings... so I will need to re-tune my IAT ignition variables etc.... I plan on taking extensive amounts of time to properly tune and make sure that I am not digging myself a grave.

This will be a monster project with thousands invested... but I havent heard of anyone trying to hit such a scary high goal out of something small.

I do plan on having everything in the block/head specced to be able to handle 8500Rpm's as well.

This car will only be a friday night/sunday car... nowhere near a daily driver....

Justr something I can take out.... not say shit other than: What you think is under the hood? maybe tell them I got a GSR or a Type R.... and see their jaws drop when they finally found out that I am running a SOHC 1.5L

Before I even try this project: I do plan on buying a GReddy kit (for legality purposes... cause anything with a BOV here and you get pulled over unser smog-illegal emissions) and starting with that on my current 92 EG. Once they are accustomed to that being there, I want to do a second kit.... a DIY and plan to basically try and tap the block's potential (maybe push for 255 HP.... I want this car to hang with my friend's ION Redline edition). I Plan on learning everything on this car, and doing the slam-bam-thankyou-mam job on a sol.

As for the Sol, I have a 94 LX lined up for $600.... it comes with rims, a rear bumper improperly installed, a slightly messed up interior, a good-running D15B7 (my block), a flat black rattle-can job, and a 90% straight body. The car was in a front-end wreck, but nothing severe, and I plan to have a shop pull it out to spec on a rack. The kid that owns this Sol is a reatrd... and has no clue his car is worth waaaay more. He just wants something else, cause as most people put it... it's his Del-Slow. I see a goldmine in the making.

Let me know what you think, constructive criticism is great, but understand:

I want a 400HP 1.5L. no If's and's buts or "you would be able to do for cheaper by...".

A decked out Sol has been my dream car since the 90's..... (well, at-least it's more obtainable then a Lotus!) and I can already picture it now.

Ok, now that you have read all this you can now call me crazy... but actually, By the laws/definitions of the US I am "Legally Insane", and I have 8 psyciatrists tell me the same!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow... not too many interested in this idea.... I guess Ill just let you guys know about it when it's all done!

·
Registered
742 Posts
jared, you are a sad fcuking wierdo; "Jennifer Leigh Pitt, from Morgan Hill, CA is a lying slut"

I guess she said she saw your small dick, and pimply ass? or somthing?

BTW, "Hey Man, I know guys on CRACK that talk more sense than you!"

W

·
0 Posts
ummm turbo wise you might want a BB turbo. and i need to see it to believe it

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
hey, if you can do it, go for it!!! :TU:. i'm always open to seeing people trying different things with D's

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photonic_Si said:
jared, you are a sad fcuking wierdo; "Jennifer Leigh Pitt, from Morgan Hill, CA is a lying slut"

I guess she said she saw your small dick, and pimply ass? or somthing?

BTW, "Hey Man, I know guys on CRACK that talk more sense than you!"

I find it funny you comment about a signature then the thread you are reading. Get over it, it is a bulletin... trust me... if you lived in town you would know =) Who are you defending anyways? yourself?? get real man.. this isnt a debate on who can cut who the lowest.... The internet just like everyone is vastly different. Get used to seeing things you dont like! [like I would fall to your level of "enlightenment"]

Anyways, Yeah.. It's a goal I would like to accomplish.... I'm not going for 60' times or anything... they will probably lag a bit... but I do plan on hitting 400hp on a 1.5L
Also, thanks for pointing it out,

It was the S with the 1.5L, cause I belive the Si had the Z6.... I made a small error... smokin too much medical the other night =P
Anything is possible with the right ingenuity.

=)

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
4,692 Posts
hmmmmmm, I'm still trying to believe your 1/4 mile time and now you throw this on us as well.

do it/ take pics and post times with slips/ and I'll eat my words.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bwhaha... remember that came off a GTech Pro, and we used a very large NOx shot from a kit designed for a 88 Camaro, except we used a nozzle instead of a plate. my 0-60 was 8.76 sec, and I sprayed it in 3rd and 4th gear (LX Trans). The block didnt blow, and it is currently being installed into an 86 CRX Si with the 86 12 Valve head installed on it =$ I keep saying I want to remove those numbers, but IT WONT LET ME, and NO MOD WILL DO ANYHITNG ABOUT IT. I honestly wanted to post my GTech slips.... and show ya... but my car got broken into... the damage is clearly visable in my 4dr showcase pics.... hell you might even see the circle imprint inside the window where the GTech used to be mounted. Please... just criticize the idea... not me.

Anywayzz, I know it's possible, and I asked Oscar some very direct questions related to my build goal. The idea is sound, and very well possible. I will be building this motor to basically be a 1.5L over-engineered tank.....

Sleeving+posting=Uber strength and little chance of walking the sleeves and blowing my headgasket.

I do plan on having a base compression of around 8.2:1

I will be running this on AVGas (133Octane) or race gas from nevada (I can get 5 gallon drums of 135 Octane from a buddy that brought a truckload to Cali. I currently run this gas in me and a buddy's 50cc ATV)

Along with the overengineered engine, I will need a well tricked out car.... it will be a sol with complete suspension/bushing replacement/upgrade. Along with a full rollcage, race seats/seatbelts, and everything else needed to make this a safe and stable venture.

In my spare time I have managed to build some crazy toys. Currently me and my friend are putting a SB307 into a 85 S-10.... and we have a B18 turbo'd, w/trans sitting at a friends house waiting to go in a sandrail for Pizmo.(The Rail will have it's own sandproof vented engine box to keep the engine safe and clean while still properly cooling it) But as for now, our current projects are the S10, a 50cc E-Ton ATV, and a nice 1-off minibike chopper we just got running. The chopper has a 5.5Hp motor on it and really rips down the roads... we barely got it together and the brakes are on order... we we go commando style... balls out.. no brakes. As I said, I am crazy, not stupid.

I have been contimplating this build ever since I got my D15B (years before I joined here) because of the hidden potential this motor design has proven it has. It has an awesome stroke for high revvs, and it will be specced to be able to make full use of this under boost.

Im not saying it's gonna be easy, Im not talking out of my ass... I want a 1.5L that will OWN on the track and just dominate at the local runs. Right now as my car stands people wont believe that I have a 1.5L.... because I won't pop the hood. Who wouldn't respect a 1.5L with 400+Hp? It is very doable. with the right amount of cash.

The first step in this build is buying the pistons/rods/valves/valvesprings/ratainers/cam. Once I have these parts, I will be well on my way to be ready to build the block. I plan on geting 97% of the parts, and doing things in this order: Trans W/LSD, Engine, engine/trans install, tuning, suspension/bushings/mounts, more tuning, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
flatfourfan said:
hmmmmmm, I'm still trying to believe your 1/4 mile time and now you throw this on us as well.

do it/ take pics and post times with slips/ and I'll eat my words.

Heh, I plan on getting some type of time down for ya.... even if it ends up being a stopwatch times to a camcorder shot during the day between fixed measured points (lets say a measured 1/4 on an airstrip/backroad)

But yeah... untill then... im sorry... I just can't remove or even change any of that info because of the simple fact: Every time I visit the page with the timeslip contents, and try to do ANYHTING, even save the current settings, it asks me to fill in the "Engine Type/Displacement" Fields that are nowhere on the page to be filled out. That really bugs me.

no h8 to u though... Ill get some solid #'s out there soon...

Dont worry... I wont start shit... cause I really dont have the proof [crappy at that] cause it was stolen.

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
Cool idea. It's obvious that you have put alot of thought into this so PR4U. How long do you anticipate the build taking?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well if u have everything accounted for then i dont see a problem. I guess its a trial and error situation. I things thats different to i vote go for it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well from a dollar to horsepower ratio, I'd have to say that your insane just because its going to cost thousands and thousands of dollars to reach those kinda hp level with a SOHC D15 when you could have done it with a B for a little cheaper, or hell you could even go with a K and have WAY more tuning potential. Plus you'd reach those kinda power levels easy without having to screw with the engines overall reliability. But I must say that is one hell of a plan you got going on and if you can make it happen then make that shit happen. And then post some time slips...:)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think tyhe build will take about a month if I take it slow with all the parts in hand.... or as short as a few weeks.... assuming I have already stepped foreward to send in the block for sleeving/etc.

As far as a current time I will do it soon because I have to get my license back ($55 away from getting it, cause of a carpool violation I didn't go to court for), and I will go out with a freind in his Audi A4 1.8T..... My car hangs with his, He just beats me off the line, then barely pulls while I am about 1/4 to 1/2 a carlength behind him.

Yeah... Ill keep it posted... and if any board mods can do anything at all about me being able to change anything on the timeslip page I would be much appreciated!

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
so your going to drop around 15-20k and only have maybe 400 whp?
i think your at a power level wheere swapping is the best idea
i mean i know oscar has like an 8k longblock!
and your talking on doing that plus and then completly caging the car and full suspension, not worth imo
theres peopel making 500+ on stock block k series motors, this is one time where it would be cheaper to swap in a k
i mean if this is what you want to do then thats cool, but i think it would be a waste of ALOT of money

·
Ferio inspired
2,441 Posts
JaredKaragen said:
Sleeving+posting=Uber strength and little chance of walking the sleeves and blowing my headgasket.

I.
you dont need both, in fact would probably void any kind of warranty on the sleeves. but i dunno for that goal of 400whp doesn't seem necessary:beer:
jimmyb34 said:
i mean i know oscar has like an 8k longblock!
Oscar is an idiot for paying that. parts and machinework do not cost anywhere near that to get the power he has. :beer:

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
NastyHabitzCRX said:
you dont need both, in fact would probably void any kind of warranty on the sleeves. but i dunno for that goal of 400whp doesn't seem necessary:beer:
Oscar is an idiot for paying that. parts and machinework do not cost anywhere near that to get the power he has. :beer:
lol, oscar is a moron.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts