Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i decided to grab a beater so i can finally boost my D!! heres my plans, i currently have a D16z6 in the car but i plan to put the Z6 head on a SOHC ZC non vtec w/ arp head studs and stock block. i wanna build the head but leave the stock camshaft with an adjustable cam gear. i plan to use a cast iron manifold with a ebay T3/T4 50trim turbo, and turbosmart 38mm wastegate. 3'' downpipe to 2.5'' exhaust w/ 2.5'' charge piping for the cooler. 450cc dsm injectors, 255 walbro, stage 3 clutch w/lsd tranny,just picked up a greddy type RS! AEM electronic boost controller,aem wideband and tuned on crome. :D

So ya thats it hope i didnt forget much, this my first boost experience so im hoping things work out, ill be posting picks soon, but i really wanna hear your opinion as far as my plans especially with the mini me swap, money isn't so tight but im not tryin to hit 300hp jus as yet lol but i would like to at least break 13s at the track lol.:D

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
your buying a lot of stuff for just a stock bottom end, might as well build it up...? building the head wont really help since the bottom will go out first. 225hp is what i heard to play it safe if the bottom isnt built. save the money for the head work and get the bottom end done first, then you can get to 300 without any serious head work i believe.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
your buying a lot of stuff for just a stock bottom end, might as well build it up...? building the head wont really help since the bottom will go out first. 225hp is what i heard to play it safe if the bottom isnt built. save the money for the head work and get the bottom end done first, then you can get to 300 without any serious head work i believe.
you can get to 400 or more without any headwork

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
400!! geese lol, i wanted to do head work so i can raise the rev limiter and i heard it will help spool the turbo faster, am i right? im still thinkin about buildin the the block but how much is that gonna cost rougly?

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
wanna build the head but leave the stock camshaft with an adjustable cam gear.
There's really no gains here with a stock cam. Straight up as Honda intended is pretty much optimal.

Yup, just add some race gas and up the boost!

400!! geese lol, i wanted to do head work so i can raise the rev limiter and i heard it will help spool the turbo faster, am i right? im still thinkin about buildin the the block but how much is that gonna cost rougly?

New springs and retainers are in order if you want to up the rev limit. You will also need a new cam, since the stock one doesn't make much more power above the stock rev limit. Head porting will help you spool faster and may make you some extra power in the end too. I still see all these mod as seconday IMHO.

Building your block is the place to start. Stock block is only good for 200-225 as Spriggan noted. FJT custom I-beams and a super kit w/Vitaras will run you under $650, and then you'll have the lower end to support the kind of mods you are talking about for the head.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's really no gains here with a stock cam. Straight up as Honda intended is pretty much optimal.

Yup, just add some race gas and up the boost!

New springs and retainers are in order if you want to up the rev limit. You will also need a new cam, since the stock one doesn't make much more power above the stock rev limit. Head porting will help you spool faster and may make you some extra power in the end too. I still see all these mod as seconday IMHO.

Building your block is the place to start. Stock block is only good for 200-225 as Spriggan noted. FJT custom I-beams and a super kit w/Vitaras will run you under $650, and then you'll have the lower end to support the kind of mods you are talking about for the head.
alright i understand wut ur sayin, its very tempting for me to do the block, but i think ill jus boost the zc block and build the z6 on the side, id hate to go all out in one shot u kno!! from wut ur sayin i think ill jus do stock head rebuild jus to cleanin it up for boost!!!

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
alright i understand wut ur sayin, its very tempting for me to do the block, but i think ill jus boost the zc block and build the z6 on the side, id hate to go all out in one shot u kno!! from wut ur sayin i think ill jus do stock head rebuild jus to cleanin it up for boost!!!
You'll be fine and still able to make more than enough power to blow up the ZC with a stock bottom end.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
ya the head will be fine for now. play with the stock zc and get to know boosted cars a little better. then build your z6.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts