Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it is about time I start a build thread. I am on a very very slow and financially challenged path to 300+ HP D15B7. Here is where I am at now.

I bought this 92 Civic DX hatch straight out of a police impound auction. After a crash course in auction bidding I finally won her for $900.00. Amazingly she purred like a kitten and the AC was cold. I drive across the street to the quick lube place, changed the oil, got some gas and drove her 110 miles home. She only had 320, 000 miles on her. The engine appears to be a junkyard replacement D15B7out of a 1993. The swap was done very nice.

All the drive line bushings were shot it raddled all the way home. I got lucky and found a 94 Integra in a local junkyard with sway bars and control arms. Sure wish it still had the disk brakes on it. All that only cost $100.00. I replaced all the bushings with energy suspension bushings accept the large rear strut one. I went back with a factory replacement for that one. It is unbelievable how much better it rides and handles with the new suspension under it.

Original I purchased this car for fuel mileage concerns when gas was near $4 per gallon, but I was very surprised by its performance for 101hp car. I have always owned trucks before, never an import. I know my way around V8s and Trucks pretty well and was impressed enough with this car to start learning how they make power with them. Here are some pics of the work I did on the head. I also port matched and installed a D16Z6 intake manifold and a D16Y8 head gasket for improved compression. Wow; what a jump I gained torque across the board and went from 32mpg to 36mpg. I read on this site that installing an A6 cam would further improve things. After a few months I found one and installed it. Have to say I am not real impressed as of now. I fell back to 32mpg lost some bottom end, gained a little hitch at about 4000rpm and probably improved a little bit from 5K to redline. The next purchase on my agenda is a Chipped ECU. I am hopping that will solve the majority of my issues As I will need that to go Turbo to get to my 300hp goal in the future.

I am currently collecting parts to go Turbo

Attachments

Reactions: Cyberwaste

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
you wont readily find rods for your D15 bottom end... but they should be around some day.

as for your A6 cam, did you install a cam gear to compensate for the different deck heights???

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am running an adjustable Cam Gear +2 degrees from the Y8 location. It seems to give the best all around performance. Bumping the ignition timing from 16 to 19 degrees helps as well but you have to run 93 octane or it pings around that 4000rpm hitch.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
4.25 (or was it 4.5? or 4.75? im getting old...) degrees is where you should have the cam gear. either retarded or advanced, depending on how you set the timing belt, since it wont line up correctly.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4.5 is a Y8 gear, but 6 is defiantly the sweet spot.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
picked up a Y8 exhaust manifold, did a little port work on it. have to throw it on this week and see how it does.

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you wont readily find rods for your D15 bottom end... but they should be around some day.

as for your A6 cam, did you install a cam gear to compensate for the different deck heights???
Does that guy in Hungury still have access to those forged rod he used with Vitara pistons? I am not a great fan of Vitaras but for the price and the budget I have to work with it is my only choice.

·
Registered
99 4 dr
740 Posts
Good luck. nice find

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,215 Posts
You should definitely feel a difference with the A6 cam. A big difference. For
some reason, that concerns me that it didn't bump up everything.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
i gotta agree, when i added my a6 cam it was like driving a different car all together. it really woke the car up, across the whole rpm range. if your not noticing a difference you may have the timing off a bit. i remember when i first got it i did all the research and there is a sweet spot i dont remember if it was 2* ret. or 2* adv. .....but i tryed playing around and whatever it was did seem to work best and thats where my cm gear has been for like 2 years now

and 300whp does sound nice, im gonna be shooting for 300-350whp on mine...have to see how well the crank holds up

for a even stronger bottom end, source out a jdm d15b crank, the mains are the same asa a b7 with the rod journals of a z6.....not to mention it is alot beefier than the b7's......if you go this route i suggest the fj distributors d15b custom length i-beams.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am really kind of interested to test the limits of the Stk B7 crank. My plan was to go vitara pistons with custom length forged rods, and a Y8 head that I have laying around. i would like to get a static compression of around 9 to 1 or a little better.

It should be a lot of fun to drive.

Here is a pic of the turbo I picked up for it.

Attachments

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
get at the guy in hungary.

i really really want a set of those rods. just not in the cards right now for me.

do you know how to contact him thompson? i REALLY want to see someone build a D15 with them rods.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Know I do not. Do you have contact info??

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,215 Posts
It makes me happy to hear that more people are staying or considering staying with their B7. I love these engines in so many different ways. Props..and rep.

1 - 20 of 295 Posts