Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sohc brothers! Haven't really seen on web combination of hybrid tranny which I built this winter for my street driven drag race EG (d16z6 turbo) so decided to share. The main idea is to make 2nd gear little longer than Si, 3-4 a bit shorter and 5th gear longer for one mile competition or eco drive :bigok:

My current gear ratios:

1st gear - 3.25 (vx 1st)
2nd gear - 1.761 (vx 2nd)
3rd gear - 1.346 (zc 3rd)
4th gear - 1.066 (vx 3rd)
5th gear - 0.702 (vx 5th)
with FD - 4.25 (si final drive, mine with OBX lsd)

Everything was put in S20 B000 case which originally came with my d16z6.

Parts used:

Si tranny (case, countershaft, final drive, shift fork assembly)
VX tranny (main shaft, 1st/2nd/3rd/5th gear)
ZC tranny (set of 3rd gear)

If someone have tried to put combo of VX 2nd and ZC 3rd gear, they would notice it's impossible to do "plug and play" because gears rub each other..

Will update thread in few days with more info and some pictures.. If any questions just ask. :)

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have pictures and hopefully will upload them some day...

I can share my experience now with this setup.

With VX 2nd gear I went 0.2 seconds slower in 1/4 mile. I went back to stock Si and dropped those 0.2 seconds immediately. I know it also depends on tire size and spool time, but for race use you really want to go with shorter gears.

For race use ZC 3rd gear was really great with VX 3rd (as 4th) next to it. For street use ZC 3d gear felt too short. Tires spinning like hell. As now my car is basically street driven, I went back to Si 3rd and I like it much better. Doesn't spin so much and pulls great now!

Conclusion. For race use short gears are great. For high HP street car when you drive street tires you would want it more control.

5th long gear is great for cruising outside the city!

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
I've used a 1.781 2nd with 1.346 3rd. When using a 3rd as 4th, without machining 4th, there will be interference issues between the shafts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts