Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My project:updated. day3 found what I wanted.

Well I finally got the approval from the wife, as long as I let my daughter help
(shes going to be a honda girl)
in a 98 ex coupe. that only cost 4K bone stock with one owner..
Full buildup from the ground up,
No expences spared..
Any turbo setup I want,
I have choosen the y8 as my weapon, now all I have to do is build it.
All sleeper though, cause thieves are bad here.
Je pistons, eagle rods, and blueprinting by my local friend here.
haltek fuel system, fuel cell for race gas..

and a baby seat to match the interior...for madison...(awww)

If you guys have any good sugestions/tips please let me know.
Advice and criticism is accepted, just dont be a dick about it.

ill keep this updated with all progress...

thanks again

Read other posts below.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have no IDEA..
it used to take an act of congress to get all my different suspesions...
lots of $$$$, she was angry, but now shes ok as long as madison can help..
YEA!!!
How much for your turbo kit..?

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
ooooh man. with any kind of money you want, go friggin' all out!!!!! sounds like the bottom end build is good, might as well go with a port and polish on the head, with turbo cam, springs, retainers, and valves. get a nice t3/t4 turbo, nice turbo manifold, get an intercooler with piping, a sweet hks ssq bov, and of course don't forget the suspension stuff: coilovers with shocks, some sweet rims wrapped in some sticky tires (i suggest toyo's cause that's what i got). ooooh man, with any money you want to spend.......i envy you!!!!

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
and be sure to keep us updated. that's only fair ;)

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh it comes at a price...
your single party days and one of my motorcycles had to go 1 out of 4...
Right now I have 2 motors sitting in the garage on stands..
d16z6 (all seals are gone)
d16y8 (the ultimate D)
for the mani I was going to go with a log style, dual titanium valve springs, tit* valves.
There is a place in houston that will build me a custom turbo for like 250 if I supply the housing...i had one done there before.
I was actually thinking of liquid to air intercooler with cryo kit on it..
so nothing is visible on the outside,
not sure which bov i want I had a turbo xs on my nissan..
Already did the suspension..that was the first thing to go..
Debating on that h brace still...lowered only 1.8 in no body kits, just cf all around too.
Please dont envy....its all for the sake of makeing some guy in a new corba mustang go WTF!!!!?????
I also work with someone whos building an 85 GN...
sonny do you think 16x7 rota slips will be sufficient with nt 555 drags all around..?

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is a decent proposal for something I tried when I was younger.
What about using hard ass sheet metal with two head gaskets and sanwiching it between to lower the compresstion to like 7.8:1
I did it when I was a kid but machine work has come a long way in the last few years>
What do you guys think? port matching everything on the top with the sheet metal?

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about my current one rebuilt with different internals?
t3/t4 50 trim with my custom wet kit to get going before spool up?

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im looking into serious fun while maintaining daily driver status, with a baby seat.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
rotory20 said:
here is a decent proposal for something I tried when I was younger.
What about using hard ass sheet metal with two head gaskets and sanwiching it between to lower the compresstion to like 7.8:1
I did it when I was a kid but machine work has come a long way in the last few years>
What do you guys think? port matching everything on the top with the sheet metal?
I believe that is called a deck-plate :)

If it were me, I'd sleeve and bore the block to probably 77-78mm. get the combustion chamber in the head opened up a bit to deshroud the valves and match the new bore. Go .5-1mm oversized on the valves. Check with endyn for their rollerwave pistons. See what your options are for cramming a longer rod into the engine. Get the bottom end balanced, edelbrock intake manifold, catch-can/breather kit, crower stage 2 turbo cam, etc. Figure out how and where you want your power as that will dictate what turbo you want and I'm sure you know the rest, injectors, fuel management, etc...

However make sure that you have the brakes and suspension handled first.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would like the pull all the time threwout
But Ive decided on the t3/t04 turbo with the log manifold for quick spool.
I like the sleeveing im looking at the darton sleeves and the str block guard just in case..
I know the rest of it..Im looking at the turbo xs systems right now...
choose all my parts now its time to order and build..:
ESP H beam rods at stock stroke
These pistons
Bore 2.972 - Stroke 3.543 - Rod Length 5.394 - Grams 235 - Dish Volume -11.9cc - Compression Height 1.154 - CC's 32.8 - Compression Ratio 9.1:1 - use ring set 135+3028 and of course the total seal rings.
Blueprinting the crank at a friends machine shop.
Im not sure about he edelbrock, I heard and read its like the skunk 2 with clearnce issues, I get bored and might try to make a plenumb one or get the venom one.
Total redo of the head, 1mm oversized valves dual tit* springs and retainers
full p&p with p matching
I like your idea of the cam, how much does that run and what are the specs?
if you know off hand.
Dual setup of injectors 1st is 380cc, then maybe 1600cc secondary
I like the haltech for Fuel management. of course all braided steel lines on everything.
Rear brake conversion with powerslot oversize all around. go fast but still need to stop,
I have a good friend who is a master with fiberglass!!! and makeing custom panels..
Does anyone know if there is a back seat that has a sort of tray that sits in between the seats like on the 92-96 prelude?
Thanks again, and thanks kommon sence for the info.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
here my ideal for when I have a kid. remove the back seat. drill some holes and bolt the baby seat in. that way you know that bitch aint going to move. she'll be just as secure as you are.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gftgrill said:
here my ideal for when I have a kid. remove the back seat. drill some holes and bolt the baby seat in. that way you know that bitch aint going to move. she'll be just as secure as you are.
Oh believe me I wanted to..
I was actually going to make a baby seat that welds into the back
But my wife didnt feel that was nessacary..
Just get one that straps in..
I tried...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
gftgrill said:
hahaha.... i dont no if thats suppose to be funny.. but im laughing pretty hard right now.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
rotory20 said:
sonny do you think 16x7 rota slips will be sufficient with nt 555 drags all around..?
definitely sufficient. I know plenty of guys running slips that absolutely love them. the rest of your set-up sounds like you're right on track. and I'd say keep your compression to 9.1:1. that's pretty much ideal

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
9.1:1....
I figured like 8.5:1...Want more then 15lbs.
and Im also running wet nitrous as well.
Or am I just being retard...ehhehe duh...!

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
rotory20 said:
I would like the pull all the time threwout
But Ive decided on the t3/t04 turbo with the log manifold for quick spool.
I like the sleeveing im looking at the darton sleeves and the str block guard just in case..
Look into the benson sleeves as well. Also the Golden Eagle block guard allows more coolant flow than the others.

I know the rest of it..Im looking at the turbo xs systems right now...
choose all my parts now its time to order and build..:
ESP H beam rods at stock stroke
These pistons
Bore 2.972 - Stroke 3.543 - Rod Length 5.394 - Grams 235 - Dish Volume -11.9cc - Compression Height 1.154 - CC's 32.8 - Compression Ratio 9.1:1 - use ring set 135+3028 and of course the total seal rings.
Blueprinting the crank at a friends machine shop.
come on, if you get sleeves, bore it out a bit more :)

Im not sure about he edelbrock, I heard and read its like the skunk 2 with clearnce issues, I get bored and might try to make a plenumb one or get the venom one.
Shouldn't have any fitment issues with the edelbrock on the 96-00 civics. Remember this is the same IM that they include with their turbo kit. Only issues I've heard are of people who try to use the 96-00 edelbrock IM on a *pre*-96 civic.

Total redo of the head, 1mm oversized valves dual tit* springs and retainers
full p&p with p matching
dual valvesprings is overkill. I've heard good things about supertech valves. I'd recommend crower or isky springs if you go with the crower cam.

I like your idea of the cam, how much does that run and what are the specs?
if you know off hand.
www.crower.com . high lift, low duration :)

Dual setup of injectors 1st is 380cc, then maybe 1600cc secondary
1600cc secondaries? :eek:

I like the haltech for Fuel management. of course all braided steel lines on everything.
Rear brake conversion with powerslot oversize all around. go fast but still need to stop,
Just go stock rotors front/rear and give the folks at www.carbotecheng.com a call. Larry sounds like a grumpy old guy that really knows his stuff :)

I have a good friend who is a master with fiberglass!!! and makeing custom panels..
Does anyone know if there is a back seat that has a sort of tray that sits in between the seats like on the 92-96 prelude?
Thanks again, and thanks kommon sence for the info.
other links of interest.

www.precisionturbo.net (intercoolers/turbos)
www.pgmfi.org (look for uberdata)
www.johnnyracecar.com
www.rceng.com
www.lovefab.com (manifolds)
www.kteller.com (exhaust piping/parts)
www.iskycams.com
www.crower.com
www.exospeed.com

have fun.

Don't forget the use of a *proper* catch can and breather setup. don't wanna go spewing hot oil vapors into your engine.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
kommon_sense said:
dual valvesprings is overkill. I've heard good things about supertech valves. I'd recommend crower or isky springs if you go with the crower cam.
Thats the whole point of it though overkilll..
I want to do my one last project and this is it..
No holds barred kinda thing.!!
I like the crower cam, I looked up the specs last night..
thats what im going to use for that area.

I have a lot of the same sites and also bmcracing that make the log style manifolds...
And Im going probably with a johnny racer intercooler too..
I have to get the engine built first its going to take a minute to do
I want it done right,
Ill look into the sleeves you mentioned..
I want to get this done but Im actually going to take my time too.
There are a few things on Ebay that Im looking into too..
like coolant stuff 2in rads, oil catch cans and other stuff
external fuel pumps fuel cells, and battey relocate stuff and of course interior stuff too. cf tidbits,
and a few other little electronic tidbits..turbo timers, gauges.
NO RICER stuff though.
Im going to go for the sleeper d look.
i want 300hp!
Thats why Im taking it to the extreme.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok guys well i got the motor sittin on the stand in my garage,
being taken apart, head is a a friend of mines shop to get 1mm over valves, p&p
and a deck is being constructed to go between the head and block.
Im getting ready to hopefully find a place locally that I can acid dip the block to clean out all the old gunk..
Looking on ebay to find some parts too. found all my part from a local(tx) supplier in houston for cheap if I buy all through him..
Its on the way..
Hey what do you guys think of lovefab and ssautochrome..?
Thanks ahead of time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts