Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my new old amp

i have always loved Phoenix Gold amps and Subs. when i first started messing with cars it was specifically audio. so one day recently a buddy of mine wanted a t-belt and water pump replaced on his 94 teg (B18A1) ,and he had cash plus an old skool Phoenix Gold Amp MS 2125! early/mid nineties amp that has some of the best watts for bucks ever produced. although it boasts 125 X 2 RMS it is actually produces 160 watts X 2 RMS and when bridged at 4 ohm it boasts 710 Watts RMS which for the time it was insane! due to limited capacitor technology at the time it had flaws, those being the capacitors(CAPs) would leak instead of popping the top. this flaw would lead to board shortage/fires or Caps exploding and ultimately leading to the demise of the amp! well twenty years later CAP technology is way better! i have already ordered the replacement CAPs to make her sing again, but when the electrolytic fluid touches the silicone pads that protects the MOSFET transistors from grounding to the heat sink they have to be replaced. ultimately this is a bit of an extensive amplifier rebuild but its worth it.

the amp

American engineering and art in one package.

the problem CAPs and what happens when they leak electrolytic fluid on other components. mainly the MOSFET transistors and SIL-PADS.

cleaned the trouble area with 100% Isopropyl alcohol and it looks heeps better!

so i yanked all the suspect CAPs! its actually a simple method for removal. first locate the positive and negative terminals going into the CAP.
then literally lean the CAP over from the positive post to the negative and after four "wiggles" it will pull straight off of the board.

i know these photos are crap but if you look closely you can see where the electrolytic fluid residue stained the board.

and the left over CAPs

my amp was in great shape compared to others that ive seen. mine was used until 2002 and has sat in a basement for twelve years until it met me. ill post links to the CAPs im going to use for replacement shortly. also im kinda unemployed so this may take a week or two.

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
since the rail Caps (big blue CAPs) are not priority ill wait to do them later because the exact matches ive found are 60.00 + shipping. i have ordered the input CAPs.
input caps: 20.00
5600 micro farad
16v
tolerance +/-20%
8k hours at 105 degree celcius
UPW1C562MHD6 Nichicon | 493-1804-ND | DigiKey
ive kept all the ratings the same as the original but increased the capacitance. itll manage audio power surges (big bass) better without falling on its face.
ive also found all the thermo sil pads.
millimeters
20.50mm X 16.00mm x 12 SP900S-0.009-00-104 Bergquist | BER178-ND | DigiKey
26.50mm X 20.00mm x 12 SP900S-0.009-00-104 Bergquist | BER178-ND | DigiKey
18.00mm X 13.00mm x 4 SP900S-0.009-AC-58 Bergquist | BER183-ND | DigiKey
12.00mm X 9.00mm x 2 SP900S-0.009-AC-58 Bergquist | BER183-ND | DigiKey

~25.00 with shipping.
i now have to go to radio shack and get another de-soldering gun and solder wick.
~20.00
estimated investment
~70.00
amps value after cap replacement ~200.00

·
Registered
476 Posts
I saw that amp and intantly thought Image Dinamics..was the tits in the day.

How do you plan on using it?

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
finally got my shit together......
new CAPs and sil pads............
the tear down...

now i have to wait 72 hours until i can install the amp because of the cleaning solvent used to remove the solder reisen. ill post o first crank vid yo.

·
Registered
m1165a2 HMMWV
61 Posts
Wow. I didn't even know any of this stuff was still around. Makes me miss my old Directed 250d. That's gonna be epic.

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SUCCESS!

finally got to fire up that amp sorry it took so long but i was waiting for parts (story of my life). the new box came in for my F-150

out with the old busted ass amp...... jk that jensen is a trooper and will continue its service else where. great amp but cant deliver the raw power this bass head craves.

so im hooking the amp up, got the negative, then the positive, remote on and the speaker leads attached. i do a power up test on the amp and the whole time im thinking "no smoke no smoke no smoke" turn the key and opened my eyes and the green light was on. i put down my fire extinguisher and hook up the sub.....lol.

this beast hits sooo hard, so freaking hard. its hard to believe this amp is 20+ years old. cant wait to get this d15b1 out of the work truck so i can drive it. phoenix gold for the fucking win!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
m1165a2 HMMWV
61 Posts
Nice, congrats on the resurrection man. I may do my old planet audio if didn't get rid of it already. I like seeing old shit come back to life.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Holy crap!!!!!!!!! I need to work on my soldering skills sos I can keep my amps alive.

Now let me come over to clean up your wiring!!!

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
it's amazing what a re-capping can do for old audio equipment, people just think because theres no moving parts that electronics can't wear out or degrade lol

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
"People" are stupid and panicky. I dislike "people."

·
Registered
765 Posts
Phoenix Gold and Soundtstream (before they went into Circuit City) were two of the very best amps on the market. Both were rugged, reliable and had excellent sound quality.

Rep to you sir for restoring a classic amplifier!!!

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holy crap!!!!!!!!! I need to work on my soldering skills sos I can keep my amps alive.

Now let me come over to clean up your wiring!!!
lols my wiring is none of your concern sir and i would like it if you would stay out of my personal affairs! lololol jk! its funny you mention that i have to go back in and upgrade the gauge of wire im using, im currently using 8 G and the amp is getting choked out around 75% capacity. im going to 4G wire with a giant 1 farad capacitor to help keep the alternator alive.

it's amazing what a re-capping can do for old audio equipment, people just think because there's no moving parts that electronics can't wear out or degrade lol
yeah people don't realize that capacitors electrolytic fluid breaks down over time. when this happens the CAPs begin to build up steam, then thats when you have a catastrophic failure with possible fire/injury. hey that is how amplifiers kill dumb people, thus improving the gene pool. lol

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Darlington refers to the type of amplifier circuit used. With three stages the theoretical current gain of the amp circuit is increased to the power of three. This makes it better suited for driving large currents with low distortion. And we know how good PG amps sound even when loaded down with low impedance loads.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts