Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last few weekends planning and building an oil cooler setup. Since the car is used on the street and for AutoX with some HPDE events planned, I wanted something with good oil flow (since I'm using a Y8 block and need all the flow I can get!), good air flow (no space up front due to front mount) and a thermostat. I have been using a Canton Mecca Remote filter for a while and a mallory prelubing pump to build oil pressure prior to startup, and to circulate oil after I shut off the car. so the car has quite a lot of oil lines...

The components I am using are:
Canton Oil filter (it raised my oil pressure by 3-5psi at hot idle and filter 100% of the oil all the time - no bypass)
Canton Thermostat
Setrab 125 25 row oil cooler
An10 Aeroquip Startlite hose and fittings (lightweight kevlar braid nascar surplus)
I made the oil cooler bracket out of a sheet of 1010 0.125" aluminum (and hours of bending, hammering and learning how to tig weld)
I made the Oil filer and thermostat bracket out of 6061 4" * 0.183thick (6061 is a motherf&*^er to bend - I had to use my dad's enerpacks and press to bend it)

Anyhow, tell me what you think:

Side view of the cooler and thermostat

Front View:

Side front view - Note that cooler is mounted at a 45degree angle to the front of the car and ducted

seen from the top - showing the canton filter and the pre-oiling pump (the filter inlet line is not connected) and the new turbo oil feed line (to the right of the filter)

Let me know what you think... If you have suggestions, let me know. I'm currently doing a lot of stuff to the car an trying to clean it up.

·
formerly Kit88
6,233 Posts
looks very nice.

Suscribed on this.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Badass.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've been working on re-routing the line between the block and the filter and moving the prelube pump... It's driving me nuts! 1step forward, 2 steps back

·
formerly Kit88
6,233 Posts
how much do you spend on the pil cooler setup, including everything ??

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much do you spend on the pil cooler setup, including everything ??
$300-$500 I pieced it together on ebay over the past year so I've kind of lost track... If I had paid msrp i would be over 1K - startlite hose is 20+$/ft, the canton filter is 80, the clamp is 40, the thermostat is 150$, there are 2 aerospace check valves (80-120 each) a mallory oil pump $100, 6 -12orb to -10 fittings (4 straight - 10$each, 2 90s-30$each), 10 aeroquip hose ends + 1 6061 flared hard line...

And in terms of hours... I put a lot of work into it... As with everything on the car, I teach myself new things when I work on it.
The aluminum mounting bracket for the cooler took over 10-15hours of fabrication and fitting and learning how to tig weld. The oil filter/ thermostat bracket was another 3-4 hours because I had to use porta-powers and dies to bend the 6061 aluminum plate, then tig the bends to eliminate the stress cracks...
Then running the actual lines is a bitch! I try to avoid any rubbing of the lines, so it takes a lot of trial and error and measuring to get them just right...
Tomorrow, i'm finally going to put in the electic power steering... that's also gonna be a fun one...

On another note, i've had a shitty week...
My last day at my current job was supposed to be last thursday and I was going to have all week to work on the car, but I actually went in and worked around 30 hours this week, the weather has sucked, my car is not done, I'm flying to Europe on Monday, and then I'm moving to Canada for a new job... I'm not gonna drive the car until mid-end september at best, and then in mid october, I'll need to put it away until the winter... :-( I'm not kidding when I say that in the past 6 months, I've driven it less than 500 miles - 3 100 mile round trips, 1 day autocrossing, and a few in town trips :-(
On the plus side, next year, i'll join a track club in Canada and should be able to track it a few times :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts