Honda D Series Forum banner

261 - 280 of 297 Posts

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
welcome home battle. thank you
Thanks... Good to be home. I ordered the NepTune package, unfortunately, it's on backorder until the end of the month. In the meantime, I'm going to clean up the garage. It's a fn mess, and so is my civic.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,000 Posts
Welcome home! Thank you for your service! NepTune is great. Honda Tuning Suite (HTS) is the next iteration that people are running through right now, mainly because its free, and based off of ECTune's code (with permission). No RTP needed for it, but NepTune will serve you well.

Set any goals yet for the car? Time frames, power goals, etc.?

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
I just want to get her running and reliable. No real goals except just that. Not looking to go down another rabbit hole with her, I would like to keep it as a weekend driver that I enjoy driving.

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
She's alive! Installed a new dizzy from Amazon today, put it in with a new 4bar map sensor and she runs like new! Took it around the block with my son for the 1st time! It's amazing. Going to clean her up tomorrow and clean all the wires up too. Pictures coming soon.

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Didn't get to the pictures today because my truck was ready to be picked up from hitting a deer a few weeks ago. Then I took it home and put in new lights. Pictures attached.

Halo lights hooked up the right way, to the ignition, and not the side marker lights.

Tomorrow I have a meeting all day, so it may have to wait until Friday. I really need to clean it up and put the interior back together so soon, promise. I'm just really happy it's running.

Other things I need to do is figure out the wideband and what the numbers mean in Neptune, adjust the clutch somehow, change the oil, and make a catch can.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Cleaned the engine bay and tidied up all the wiring. I also installed the red valve cover I've had for years too. I started on the interior but it got to late so I'll continue the rest tomorrow.

Pictures as promised, the first two are of what I started with. The last ones are the finished product of the engine bay.
received_514435602527172.jpeg IMG_20200131_162858_MP.jpg

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200131170717436_COVER~2.jpg

IMG_20200131_170431_MP~4.jpg

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200131170539641_COVER~2.jpg

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200131170150944_COVER~2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
378 Posts
You will find the bluetooth module useful with Tunerview. It costs like 10 bucks for the Neptune RTP interface license, but it's worth it as a way to monitor certain important data without needing your laptop.

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Sounds good, I think it might be cheaper now. I'll definitely download the app and throw in the extra cabbage for it.

Know anything about hooking up the wide band to Neptune via the ECU? I think I did it but I'm getting weird numbers so maybe the sensor is shot? It's reading 9s and 10s but if my memory serves me correctly stoichiometry is 14.1? Either way I can't get it out of the 9-10 range.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
378 Posts
Sounds good, I think it might be cheaper now. I'll definitely download the app and throw in the extra cabbage for it.

Know anything about hooking up the wide band to Neptune via the ECU? I think I did it but I'm getting weird numbers so maybe the sensor is shot? It's reading 9s and 10s but if my memory serves me correctly stoichiometry is 14.1? Either way I can't get it out of the 9-10 range.
What controller and sensor are you running?

Where did you wire the controller output to the ECU, a Demon2 input? Or an actual ECU input like EGR?

Are you using the controller's wide or narrow band output? One output is 0-5V (wide) and the other is 0-1V (narrow).

Do you have a gauge that works with your controller?

How did you initiate the interface in Neptune? Pictures of the settings?

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,029 Posts

you got the right wb input selected in options? and scale makes sense.

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
What controller and sensor are you running?

Where did you wire the controller output to the ECU, a Demon2 input? Or an actual ECU input like EGR?

Are you using the controller's wide or narrow band output? One output is 0-5V (wide) and the other is 0-1V (narrow).

Do you have a gauge that works with your controller?

How did you initiate the interface in Neptune? Pictures of the settings?
I'm using the ZT-2. I only ever used my laptop to monitor it. I now have a new laptop and can't seem to get the computer to identify the ZT-2 com port.

Ultimately I'd like to use one program (NepTune) to datalog and tune.

I will check the voltage in a sec and get back to you.

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #276 (Edited)
After messing with it a bit more I came to the conclusion that it's the narrowband input I put into the ECU. I'm going to need to change the wires to indicate the wideband input.

Swap the purple wire with the white one.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
378 Posts
Yes, you will definitely need to use the 0-5V output from the controller to an input on your ECU. Do you have a gauge for it, or only the wideband controller software used on the computer?

You can test the wideband sensor for feedback using your software/gauge. Just wire it up off the car, plug the sensor in and give the controller power and ground (check polarity! I've killed one of my cheap controllers doing this and hooking up + and - backwards before). This should give it a free air calibration on power up, and should show lean/out of range on the software/gauge if the sensor is truly surrounded by an abundance of oxygen (don't do this next to the open gas cans in the garage lol, skewed readings).

Take a lighter/torch/etc. and feed it some gas to watch the reading change on the gauge. When the sensor is at operating temp, it should respond towards rich really fast. If it doesn't or doesn't change readings at all, the sensor probably needs to be replaced if it's old and has a lot of miles on it. Get you a known good sensor and try again. That Zeitronix controller is solid and well engineered, shouldn't be likely for it to go bad. I don't know what year range ZT-2 you have, but it probably uses a Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor and not the 4.9. These sensors can be had from Napa to Autozone to Oreilly for roughly $60 walk in price.

Otherwise if the sensor works well, then continue on.

What input is it wired into? A demon input? Or the ELD, EGR, O2 or similar? This is important to know for proper wideband configuration. Hopefully I can help walk you through setup!

This is the screen (Preferences > Logging) you will need to setup your wideband, and these are the available inputs you can use in Neptune for wideband functionality:

widebandinputs.jpg

All of the Analog (1-5) inputs are on the green screw board found on the Demon2 itself, with labels 0 through 4. Input 0 corresponds to Analog 1 in Neptune, and so on:

demon2.jpg

D14, B6, D12 and D10 are calling out actual ECU pins. You can remove functionality of any of those devices and re-purpose them with your wideband input. It is here in the Preferences menu where you tell Neptune which input is your 0-5V wideband signal. All wideband supported functionality throughout Neptune MUST be setup in the Logging tab.

If you try to use the tab labeled "Inputs" to accomplish setting up of the wideband, the wideband input basically just becomes a feeder for custom gauge setups and will not tie into all the cool air/fuel feature magic that can be had with Neptune.

I have my PLX 0-5 volt output wired into Analog 1 on the Demon2 board, then enable/disable the settings shown on the Logging window as needed.

• Log A/F above TPS: the TPS % you want Neptune to begin logging AFR on your map
  • Log A/F above Speed: Or if you prefer, you can log AFR once you cross a speed threshold instead.
  • Wideband Offset: Use this to tweak the AFR reading if needed. Using your PC logging software via the serial connection to show you AFR, you can compare to the reading shown in Neptune. Sometimes these won't match, due to input voltage thresholds, wiring resistance, etc, so you can add or subtract portions of your reading to match your gauge/software. Typically the gauge/software that comes with a controller is correct, or as close to "as designed" for your controller as possible. Neptune will almost always need to be tweaked a "bit" to get it's value shown to line up with your gauge/software. I hope this makes sense.
  • Datalogging Speed: Will determine the resolution of the log. If you log faster, you gather more datapoints per second versus a slower speed. If you're hunting tiny inconsistencies in your tune, you may need more resolution to find these hiccups during log playback.
  • Follow maps while datalogging: Not necessary in a non-vtec scenario, but this is nice to see during playback for a vtec enabled setup to know exactly which fuel/ignition map was operating at a given time.
  • Parameter Trace: Under the parameters window, like where VTEC settings, idle control, etc are housed, some of these parameters follow logged parameters, and indicate their matching correction value. Neptune will highlight where the vehicle is operating, so you can see exactly which correction value is currently in control of your overall map. Having this enabled allows you to watch these during log playback.
  • Trace 3D Maps: Will have Neptune show the cell trace along 3D map views that are opened, for viewing during log playback.
  • Max A/F Ratio: Allows you to set an A/F max logged value threshold during A/F logging. Remember, A/F Logging will continually overwrite older logged cell values with the current A/F condition. Since A/F logging is typically most useful under loaded conditions, you can set the max A/F to lilke 12.0:1 so this is as high or low as it will ever log in a cell. If you lift throttle and go lean for a second, the lean values won't overwrite what was logged during boost/load conditions. You can start with a high value here and work your way low, so you can make sure your tune isn't going lean in certain spots. Couple this with a reasonable "Log A/F above TPS" setting, and it will retain only the values logged under loaded conditions even though you might have lifted for some reason. This is very useful for dialing in your fuel table on the street, since you can't constantly watch your laptop for everything, or know when you might need to let go of the gas.
  • Gas Type: Allows you to specify your fuel type to log actual AFR for your fuel type. I don't personally like specifying a "fuel type" because ethanol and ethanol blended gas vary drastically all over the place. I personally tune in Lambda, "Gas Type: Lambda", since the lambda value regardless of fuel type never changes 1.0 Lambda is always 1.0 Lambda regardless if you run pump gas, E85 or Methanol. If you want to know more about tuning in lambda, let me know via PM and we can discuss :) It will change your tuning world if you're not already used to the idea of it.
  • Log In Gears: Allows you to be selective of when a log will begin, based on your gear. Useful if your specifically doing load based tuning in a certain gear on the street. Breaking up for some unknown reason on a long pull in 4th on the highway? Log only in 4th!
  • 4 Cell Trace: Allows you to trace cells across maps where Neptune will highlight a larger section of potential operation, almost like a broad interpolation. Selecting this setting will allow you to retain 4 cell trace during log playback.
  • Trace Selected Map Only: Useful if your only interested in looking/logging in one specific map. If you want to lock your trace to a specific map while logging, select this option.
  • Start logging at connect: Unless you don't need to log, or want to manually turn logging on/off each time, make sure this option is selected.
  • Trace Marker: Will leave behind a small little marker in the corner of each map cell that was actively operated in during your run. This is where you will get to see exactly which areas of the map your car actually touches. Much of the map in both fuel and ignition is never used, only a small portion is actively used. This is good to get to know where your car runs in boost/WOT conditions, versus cruise, etc. The dropdown lets you choose what the markings follow and/or indicate.
  • Wideband Window: Allows you to choose or setup a new wideband specification. This is where you designate your wideband 0-5V scalar, and where you can specify what the range max values correlate to. For example, my PLX controller ranges from 0V to 5V, where 0V indicates 0.68 Lambda and 5V indicates 1.36 Lambda. It is here that you get to specify this range. The range for your Zeitronix device should be in your instruction manual or on their website.
Once you have this setup, Neptune is ready for logging AFR against the fuel maps. You can now also create a custom gauge in Neptune if you want, like this:

customgauge.jpg

You setup the gauge parameters in the "Inputs" or "Inputs 2" tab. My Wideband is on Analog 1 on the Demon2, so I added my ranges in the Inputs 2 tab (you would use the "Inputs" tab if you chose D14, B6, D12 or D10 for your wideband input). I simply added the 0-5V range in the table below, and for simplicity sake added AFR values of 10 and 20:1 respectively. I labeled the gauge as "A/F" and set the Units to " :1 " and made it display only 1 decimal place. I also created a similar gauge for my fuel pressure transducer, to show me live fuel pressure. It was a 0-5 volt sensor 100PSI rated sensor, but bench testing found that I needed a .25V offset when logging in Neptune to make the pressure values line up with the voltage values (the reason for values 1.25-4.25 instead of 1-4). Labeled the gauge "Fuel Pressure" and set the Units to "PSI" with 0 decimal places.

Once you click "OK" on the window after setting these up, they are available as "Gauge" selections in the gauge window like so. Open the gauge window, right click anywhere on the window and click "Add Gauge", then set the gauge type to the ones you named them as:

gauges.jpg

They will look like this when up and running:

Clip of a quick log playback:
playback1.jpg

Checking out someone else's tune in the Neptune repo and starting tweaks:
playback2.jpg

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #278 (Edited)
Holy wow. Thank you for all that info. So I have the wire going into my o2 input into my ecu. I looked last night and hooked up the purple wire instead of the white coming out of the zietronix controller box. I am currently using my old hp windows xp laptop for monitoring the O2 readings. All the while tuning with my new Dell XPS. So yeah it's annoying to have two laptops in the car. Eventually I'd like to get a gauge so it shows the right af ratio without any device. I'll take some more pictures and post them today so you have a visual.

The narrowband 02 signal works through Neptune though so all my settings are correct, just not getting that wide band voltage because of the wrong wire.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
378 Posts
Holy wow. Thank you for all that info. So I have the wire going into my o2 input into my ecu. I looked last night and hooked up the purple wire instead of the white coming out of the zietronix controller box. I am currently using my old hp windows xp laptop for monitoring the O2 readings. All the while tuning with my new Dell XPS. So yeah it's annoying to have two laptops in the car. Eventually I'd like to get a gauge so it shows the right af ratio without any device. I'll take some more pictures and post them today so you have a visual.

The narrowband 02 signal works through Neptune though so all my settings are correct, just not getting that wide band voltage because of the wrong wire.
Once you get Neptune to interpret and display the wideband 0-5V signal to match the display'd values shown on your old laptop logging software (by messing with your offsets, etc.), you will now be able to trust what is shown in Neptune and you won't need your old laptop anymore. Does this make sense?

261 - 280 of 297 Posts