Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was 2,500 miles past my last oil change, but I was getting antsy and wanted to use up my bottle of Seafoam I bought. :) Car it went into was is a basically bone stock d16y8 with 55,000 miles on original motor/trans. I didnt think it would do much as far as how the motor felt to drive, and it didnt, but I was surprised at the junk that came out. Granted there was probably more sitting at the bottom before I poured the oil pan out, but this is what was left laying at the bottom of the oil pan after the usual 1/3 bottle into booster line and 2/3 into head followed by a "spirited" drive.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/jlacoy82/seafoam2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/jlacoy82/seafoam.jpg

All those little chunks and white spots you see in the oil pan is this chalky garbage that crumbles in your fingers like a piece of dry playdoh.

Spirited drive = me followin my bro in his 92 GSR w/ b17 downshifting to 2nd/3rd gear and pulling through to redline (he seafoamed his engine too). :) His motor with 90k on it smoked a weee bit more than mine, but not much.

I was honestly surprised at how bad my car smoked and what came out of it, considering the miles, and considering the maintenance it had before I bought the car @ 40,000 miles. I never let it stall while adding the seafoam, I had my bro holding the throttle rotor and he'd give it a yank every time it started siezuring. :)

Only difference I noticed is the engine SOUNDS a little smoother, doenst seem like I'm getting quite as much noise from the valvetrain, but maybe I was just trying too hard to notice a difference. :)

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
I have thought about seafoaming my motor, but I am not sure if it would mess up my supercharger. I have heard great things about seafoaming a motor. did you also change your plugs after you did this?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Seafoam kicks ass. It's probably all in my head aswell, but it does seems to make the a car run smoother. It would be a good idea to change plugs and o2 sensor(or just remove it) and remove downpipe, but I never do.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didnt replace the plugs, probably tomorrow, and I'll replace the o2 when theres a reason to. :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
One of my teachers said that seafoam can be good, but water is a better solution to cleaning the carbon buildup. With the chemicals in seafoam, he doesnt like how that may affect seals inside the engine. So you can get a mister bottle and spray thst through the throttle body while opening the throttle enough to get the mist of water in. The reason you do the seafoam or water is to help reduce nox levels when smogging your car.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I am not. It also works wonders if your motor is seriously overheating. Peopel seem to forget, ATF has a detergant built into it.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
maybe i should do this before I swap oil pans for my turbo setup.... are there instructions on the bottle for using it?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
WTF is seafoam *please don't flame to much*...i apoloize for being a newb :) , but if some one can explain this foam that woul dbe most apreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's a fuel injector/combustion chamber/engine cleaner in a liquid form that you put in your brake booster, cylinder head, and gas tank (if desired). Cleans out all the carbon deposits, and gunk out of the engine.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
brake booster? why put a cleaner in there?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
ok, i don't think i'll need to do that since i use a detergent such as greese lightning once a year for the motor, and a fuel cleaner once a year. i change out the tranny fluid every 60,000, and of course the antifreeze every 100,000. or do you think that i would need to do this at some point in the future(NOTE: i know that i probably won't need to do this any time soon, since the car is only 4 years old, and has less than 80,000 miles on it)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Makku - Yes, there are directions right on the bottle, but there are several good writeups on HT on how to SeaFoam as well. :)

Custom Junky - All that garbage is buildup from inside the crank case/head, which none of the applications you said you use will deal with.

Infinatenexus - Deisel fuel is full of detergents as well, would that work as a spray into the TB? :)

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
how often is it recommended to do this to an engine?

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Ok, I've got a problem. Apparently this stuff can eat you seals and whatnot if you are over 150k miles, which sucks because I'm sitting at ~156K. Does anyone know if I can do this, will I need to replace any seals/gaskets and which ones, or is there something I can do besides an engine rebuild and cleaning? Or could someone point me to where I can find this info? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts