Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of them? I spun these VTEC valves on an electric drill against a knife-sharpening stone.
I have to confess about the crude method though.
As you'll see from the pics, i removed material mostly from the underside of the valve & took care not to grind the "seating" area
However I couldnt narrow the stems that much coz those valves are tough!
I could choose not to use these if they are unsafe. Theyre just spare valves.
I'd appreciate your advise guys..

Stock Intake valve at the left & my DIYd one to the right

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u118/DocHudson/3.jpg
Same (but here you can clearly see the difference from stock)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u118/DocHudson/6.jpg
Same still

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u118/DocHudson/9.jpg
Two modded valves side by side

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u118/DocHudson/12.jpg
one piece to show underside

...So should i proceed and use them?
TIA!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have to confess about the crude method though.
As you'll see from the pics, i removed material mostly from the underside of the valve & took care not to grind the "seating" area
However I couldnt narrow the stems that much coz those valves are tough!
I could choose not to use these if they are unsafe. Theyre just spare valves.
I'd appreciate your advise guys..

[
TIA![/QUOTE]

I would use it as long as the seat are ok, and the rest of the valve is smooth.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
yeah, you need to make sure the valve still has a good seat.......looks like you did a decent job though :TU:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i use them, gonna lap them properly for sure.
i managed to make the modded areas very smooth.
im just wondering if the undersides are too thin (idk) which could crack or warp or..??
They'll be seeing 11.3:1 static compression when my build gets done.
btw, stock springs & retainers, crower stage 2 & 8k rev limit (or will most likely be set lower until i get good springs) ...

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
if i use them, gonna lap them properly for sure.
i managed to make the modded areas very smooth.
im just wondering if the undersides are too thin (idk) which could crack or warp or..??
They'll be seeing 11.3:1 static compression when my build gets done.
btw, stock springs & retainers, crower stage 2 & 8k rev limit (or will most likely be set lower until i get good springs) ...
wow......crower stg 2 to 8k on stock valvetrain.......not a great combo.

but now that i think about it, i think jimmyb34 is running an exospeed stg3 on stock valvetrain and he revs to like 7200-7500...dont quote me on that though.

BUT, you may not need to rev to 8k....you prolly wont make power up that high in the powerband on a stock unported head, but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
my build stops making power around 7k with the stock ports (it hits a ceiling on the dyno sheet as the charge sees maximum velocity on the ports) I would not run 8K with stock valvetrain. I wouldn't even changer the stock limiter, and I;d still be nervous.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
wow......crower stg 2 to 8k on stock valvetrain.......not a great combo.

but now that i think about it, i think jimmyb34 is running an exospeed stg3 on stock valvetrain and he revs to like 7200-7500...dont quote me on that though.

BUT, you may not need to rev to 8k....you prolly wont make power up that high in the powerband on a stock unported head, but thats just my opinion.
Thanks and oh..
..i forgot to mention that I ported & polished my spare Y8 head as well.
It was not overly done,i just D-shaped the ports and blended the bowls without hogging any material out.i also smoothed out the c.c. in the hope of gaining a quicker, less turbulent flow.
i'll post pics of it very soon.

And eyal, thanks also..now i know i musnt rev it that high. Thats for sure!
But what do you think of my valves?
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I don't know much about valve dynamics. Simply looking at them, it looks like their usable as long as its not an extreme build. It looks like you will gain some flow, but like I said, I don't know anything about valve dynamics. When I do my headwork, imma just get supertech valves and call it a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts