1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
399 Posts
that looks like it was fun. how/why did the back end break loose in the corners when the instructor was with you?? I have never raced on a track so i don't know.

·
Registered
95 Civic EX
885 Posts
sweet vid man, looked like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
that looks like it was fun. how/why did the back end break loose in the corners when the instructor was with you?? I have never raced on a track so i don't know.
On the one where I was going up through the chicane, it was because I just hit the crest of the hill, so my car was "light". Meaning, I'm going up a hill at a high rate of speed and carrying a lot of momentum, so when I'm not going up the hill anymore (i.e. at the top of the hill) my wheels follow the road but the chassis of my car wants to keep going upward because of the momentum. So what happens is the chassis sorta lifts upward stretching the suspension and at the same time "lightens" you car, if that makes sense.

So, now, here I am with my wheels turned slightly to the left, gripping the ground and pulling my car forward. All of the sudden my car becomes lighter, my back end which is much lighter than the front, has less traction than the front, so my rear loses traction and goes with the flow of the momentum my car was carrying.

And the other one was just me breaking the basic rule of: brake in a straight line. Reason being, when braking at the limit you are utilizing almost all of the cars traction (ideally just before the tires lock up) so if you add turning into the mix your asking for more traction than the tires have. So you usually end up oversteering. Reason being is that when braking at the limit often times you will shift 70%-80% of the vehicles weight to the front. So here we are again, with a light rear and a heavy front, also, braking, using almost all the traction, plus turning, bad scenario.

·
Registered
399 Posts
is that your dd?? i have seen your set up in your other thread. i can't wait til i have my car setup to do that kind of stuff. i have a friend that does that kind of stuff around here and he goes through tires and breaks like crazy.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
spawnd said:
is that your dd?? i have seen your set up in your other thread. i can't wait til i have my car setup to do that kind of stuff. i have a friend that does that kind of stuff around here and he goes through tires and breaks like crazy.
Yes, it is my daily driver.

Seriously though, you don't really have to have your car "set-up". That's what I thought to, it's the reason why I didn't go the first year my buddy went. I was like : "my car's not ready blah blah blah" but after watching his track footage, I had to go. The first year I went the ONLY things I had done to my car were my Advan A032 R compound tires and Omnipower sport coilovers; that's it, everything else was stock. And shit, I held my own, I was 3 seconds faster than my buddy in his straight 6 280zx. As long as everything on your car is in good working order and you get some GOOD tires you should be fine.

My tires are going to last my a while, I have the hard compound advans. Now brakes on the other hand, lets just say I completely used up my brand new Hawk HPS's in one day. I learned though, that those are DEFINATELY a street pad. I'm going to run track only pads next year, probably Hawk HT-10's.

BLK92_D16 said:
Didn't see any upgrades to the rear sway bar...anything?
Nope, don't plan on it either. Setup I plan on running when everything's said and done suspension wise:

Omnipower Sport Coilovers (12k f 10k r)
Spoon Strut Tower Bars (Front & Rear)
Spoon Lower Tie Bars (Front & Rear)

...and that's it really, I'm keeping it simple.

krychek57 said:
I do Love that track.
Yes, it does indeed kick ass. Do you live near it, or do you just drive far like me to get to it?

·
Administrator
Honda
6,996 Posts
Yes, it is my daily driver.

Seriously though, you don't really have to have your car "set-up". That's what I thought to, it's the reason why I didn't go the first year my buddy went. I was like : "my car's not ready blah blah blah" but after watching his track footage, I had to go. The first year I went the ONLY things I had done to my car were my Advan A032 R compound tires and Omnipower sport coilovers; that's it, everything else was stock. And shit, I held my own, I was 3 seconds faster than my buddy in his straight 6 280zx. As long as everything on your car is in good working order and you get some GOOD tires you should be fine.

My tires are going to last my a while, I have the hard compound advans. Now brakes on the other hand, lets just say I completely used up my brand new Hawk HPS's in one day. I learned though, that those are DEFINATELY a street pad. I'm going to run track only pads next year, probably Hawk HT-10's.

Nope, don't plan on it either. Setup I plan on running when everything's said and done suspension wise:

Omnipower Sport Coilovers (12k f 10k r)
Spoon Strut Tower Bars (Front & Rear)
Spoon Lower Tie Bars (Front & Rear)

...and that's it really, I'm keeping it simple.

Yes, it does indeed kick ass. Do you live near it, or do you just drive far like me to get to it?
I live in Washington... I flew over to Oklahoma for a preludepower meet and trackday :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
my car is not it perfect working order right now...that is what i mean by not ready.

thanks for posting the video..they are really cool

1 - 18 of 18 Posts