Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nevermind Geico isn't bad, that one lady working for geico accidentally said "your car is modified" instead of "your car insurance modification". dunno, maybe i was too tired and misheard but i didn't even sleep since then so i doubt it.

Where should i buy insurance so that i get a fair payout if some thug steals my car?

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
call again. let them know rebuilding the motor seriously improves its resale value, and MORE importantly it improves the car's value to YOU

insurance companies are supposed to work for their customers, not against them.

you probably talked to a lazy employee.

Its important you remain calm, polite, and level headed while on the phone with them. ASk to talk to a manager or such. If they ask why, tell them you believe they could help you further.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I don't know about the value add of a rebuilt motor - I'm finding it's roughly zero since I'm selling my GSR with one currently.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd like to hear how you worded the exact proposition to Geico. I get the feeling you projected a sense of "oh boy, this guy is going to be a liability" to the representative on the phone. Besides lets face it, you are modifying your car yet you don't want to pay for better insurance. You just mentioned adding coilovers and you have another thread talking about turbo modifications.

If theft is a legitimate concern then get proactive with your security measures. Lock your car. Turn your steering wheel to lock out and engage the steering column lockout. If you're turbocharging your car, chances are you are going to be tuning it; program an anti theft feature into the ECU. Create a hidden main power/fuel pump kill switch. Employ a GPS tracking device in the car. The list goes on and on. Hell, get an alarm if nothing else but just do something if you're not willing to pay for a higher insurance premium or if the insurance company will not cover your modifications.

Also, don't make your car a target by throwing A-pillar gauges on it, a shiny fart can, wheels, and coilovers if theft is a problem in your area. Just things to consider if insurance isn't going to work for you.

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
in my area geico is known to be crap.

my dad has a body shop and they where always a pain to deal with and get them to pay out for repairs and such.

ive not heard of what your trying to do. ive always understood it as your modifications to the car are not covered by regular insurance stuff. but you could also call a few other companies and see what they say about it.

i feel like your more likely to find a local company that covers that sort of thing since they want your business more but you may pay more. i just find that most local places are more willing to work with you on stuff.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Up until recently I was with Nationwide for YEARS and though they had been good to me, I moved on to Travelers saving 40% on what Nationwide was charging me for PLUS giving me more coverage all-around! I can say that Nationwide had a lot of "custom" offerings, like OEM coverage, "custom car" coverage, etc etc. Might be worth looking into.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
You will need a "rider" on the policy for the additional value, usually an agreed amount with documentation. But with all those "go fast/show parts" they will likley drop you due to increased risk.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
If theft is a legitimate concern then get proactive with your security measures. Lock your car. Turn your steering wheel to lock out and engage the steering column lockout. If you're turbocharging your car, chances are you are going to be tuning it; program an anti theft feature into the ECU. Create a hidden main power/fuel pump kill switch. Employ a GPS tracking device in the car. The list goes on and on. Hell, get an alarm if nothing else but just do something if you're not willing to pay for a higher insurance premium or if the insurance company will not cover your modifications.
If you do these preventative measures and keep your current insurance I bet you will save money... And more likely to keep your car...

Don't just put an alarm on it. Install multiple security measures.

This is your frontline defense!!! Insurance won't cover the time, blood, sweat and tears you put into your car. Insurance only helps after its gone... So if you don't want your car stolen, protect yourself!

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Yep, I would like to know how you worded it also. I know that if you have full coverage, geico will cover modified cars. If you want agreed value, you need to get a vehicle appraisal. I have geico and have zero issues with them. I also have usaa that will cover mods up to 5k. Over that you need agreed value with an appraisal also. There aren't any companies that come close to want I'm paying for 2 sport bikes and 2 vehicles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i basically said "My car broke, so i rebuilt the engine. It cost about 2,000, and i want that to be reflected if my car is stolen. I do not want full coverage, if i cause an accident its my fault. But if its stolen, i want to be paid properly for my car. Not 1,300. I want 3,300"

I didn't mention upgrading the suspension, i only mentioned that i rebuilt the engine, that i have receipts for it, and i want a quote for how much it costs to insure my car for what i know its worth. And the bitch starts talking about how fixing an engine is a modification and then she said "its policy" and i'm about to freak out on her about how a rebuilt engine isn't a modification! but i hung up instead.

Its not like i'm putting the turbo on any time soon. I don't have any of the supporting parts and i haven't even replaced the piston rings bearings and seals yet. I plan on doing an entire season of racing before i upgrade the power

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
i basically said "My car broke, so i rebuilt the engine. It cost about 2,000, and i want that to be reflected if my car is stolen. I do not want full coverage, if i cause an accident its my fault. But if its stolen, i want to be paid properly for my car. Not 1,300. I want 3,300"

I didn't mention upgrading the suspension, i only mentioned that i rebuilt the engine, that i have receipts for it, and i want a quote for how much it costs to insure my car for what i know its worth. And the bitch starts talking about how fixing an engine is a modification and then she said "its policy" and i'm about to freak out on her about how a rebuilt engine isn't a modification! but i hung up instead.

Its not like i'm putting the turbo on any time soon. I don't have any of the supporting parts and i haven't even replaced the piston rings bearings and seals yet. I plan on doing an entire season of racing before i upgrade the power
Well that was why you got the response you did. Ask for one of the items I just posted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They told me it costs $20 a month to add theft protection (comprehensive), and if it does get stolen (lets hope not) that's when i show an adjuster my receipts and then it'l be reflected. But i have a feeling they'd only pay me half of what i spent because now its used blah blah blah.

Who would ya'l recommend for those secondary policies? I don't really want to register my car as collectible though. If i get a 92 shell i may do historic in a couple years.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
They told me it costs $20 a month to add theft protection (comprehensive), and if it does get stolen (lets hope not) that's when i show an adjuster my receipts and then it'l be reflected. But i have a feeling they'd only pay me half of what i spent because now its used blah blah blah.

Who would ya'l recommend for those secondary policies? I don't really want to register my car as collectible though. If i get a 92 shell i may do historic in a couple years.
Then don't register as a collector policy, just get an agreed value policy. It is not economically feasible to have a secondary policy -- just buy one policy that fits your needs.

Do NOT count on an adjuster 'looking at your receipts' to do SHIT for you if you get into an accident. Get a policy that STATES YOUR VALUE now!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then don't register as a collector policy, just get an agreed value policy. It is not economically feasible to have a secondary policy -- just buy one policy that fits your needs.

Do NOT count on an adjuster 'looking at your receipts' to do SHIT for you if you get into an accident. Get a policy that STATES YOUR VALUE now!
I would fight tooth and nail to get them to accept the true value of my car. I'm not exactly ready to put the engine in, so i'm not too worried about it yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
"this big business screwed me! woe is me!! no one should be their customer!!" If i get screwed, my goal becomes to hurt their bottom line worse than they hurt me financially. As a consumer, its my right and duty. Penny votes goes a lot further than most lessons entail.

you should've seen the scare i put into my girlfriend's company when they tried telling her she wasn't allowed to have her regularly scheduled work break after i drove all the way over there to spend it with her.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If you get a car alarm install it yourself, do NOT get an installer to do it for you.

I cant recall the number of times I have heard about someone dumping a ton of money into their car, getting a professional alarm system installed, then getting the cat stolen not long afterwards.....

Ummm duh....? You just spent a fortune on your car then handed it to a guy who makes $10 an hour, provided the address where the car is usually parked, loaned him your keys for more than long enough to make copies, and he is the one who knows exactly how your alarm is installed and could have easily made copies of the key fob before he handed it to you.....

I was out racing with a friend one night years ago, and we stopped by a car stereo/alarm installer business he used to work at in high school to trade something for an amp, we sat around bullshitting with all the installers for a bit while a couple of them were installing a VERY high end system in a highly modified turbo viper.

When we left I told him they seemed like a nice bunch of guys and I asked why he stopped working there, his response was that they were cool to hang out with but that every one of them had done time for stealing cars, many of them more than once and he didnt want to get involved in that lifestyle, which is why he stopped doing stereo/alarm installs on cars.

I often wonder how long it took for that turbo viper to get stolen.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I would fight tooth and nail to get them to accept the true value of my car. I'm not exactly ready to put the engine in, so i'm not too worried about it yet.
"this big business screwed me! woe is me!! no one should be their customer!!" If i get screwed, my goal becomes to hurt their bottom line worse than they hurt me financially. As a consumer, its my right and duty. Penny votes goes a lot further than most lessons entail.

you should've seen the scare i put into my girlfriend's company when they tried telling her she wasn't allowed to have her regularly scheduled work break after i drove all the way over there to spend it with her.
Good luck. Insurance LITERALLY makes their money paying you out just enough so you don't sue. Have fun litigating for 2 years. You're not going to put the fear of god in an insurance adjuster.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts