Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is sworn up and down you can "chip" or "mod" a Honda OBD2 ECU.

From all of what I have read and seen this is not possible... Hence the need for OBD2a/b -> OBD1 conversion harnesses.

Anyone want to back me up??

D

·
0 Posts
Lets put it like this if that was even possible why would they even invent an OBD2 - OBD1 jumper harness?! "NUFF SAID"

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
a obd2 can be modded just not a lot of people tune them, obd1 is hell of a lot simpler

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah.... It's just a fact of you cant get nearly close to getting the features from an OBD2 that you can get from an OBD1. You are limited to the stock program's limits in an OBD2 vs. an OBD1.

He believes me now.

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah at this point in time if you want to do anything you convert to OBD1 it. But that will eventually change of course LOL

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He just asked if you could use a OBD1 on an iVTEC motor...

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
JaredKaragen said:
He just asked if you could use a OBD1 on an iVTEC motor...
hmmm dont think so. but dont know for sure

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hell, I woulda thought if programming OBD2 was like any other car it would be a standalone unit you can plug in, get performance and boom your done.... but I havent seen anything like it on the market..... It will probably be a long time before it happens too.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
D16Z6TURBO said:
If i-vtec is OBD2 couldnt you just use a jumper harness?

iVTEC is very complex compared to "is coolant ok, is speed ok, is oil pressure ok, is RPM ok? ok, enable solenoid".

I think it would be possible to write ecu code to read sensors and make adjustments in certain ways to make it function properly... but it's very complex compared to VTEC-E or others.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
D16Z6TURBO said:
If i-vtec is OBD2 couldnt you just use a jumper harness?
its not the same, the motor is very diffrent from say a b18c

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NEP-tuningalltheway said:
its not the same, the motor is very diffrent from say a b18c

Agreed, especially because it has more sensors that do special things for the iVTEC then any other motor.

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah I dont know much about it but a buddy that just graduated Wyotech said even there they taught ya not to mess with OBD2 if ya didnt have to

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
JaredKaragen said:
Agreed, especially because it has more sensors that do special things for the iVTEC then any other motor.
Check out the latest Honda-Tuning, they have some interesting stuff on i-VTEC. The cam phasing is accomplished by a mechanical system in the cam gear itself - the mechanical components determine the cam phasing rather than the ECU. So, in a sense, the ECU DOES only turn the solenoid on and off for the wild cam.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
can't run obd1 ecu on the new i-vtec motors... the obd2 ecu (which is different from all the older obd2 ecus) can be reflashed though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts