Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've seen it done a lot but this is the first time im all on my own. my only question is how many bolts are there connecting the tranny to the block(i found 5) and can i leave the tranny in while taking the block out?

·
JDM Justin
95 del Sol
812 Posts
you can...but it will be easier to take the whole thing out, as one. alot easier...you can reach everything w/ it out.

good luck

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
you can...but it will be easier to take the whole thing out, as one. alot easier...you can reach everything w/ it out.

good luck
this is true. i just did this for the first time the other day and you definetly will have an easier time pulling the whole shabang outta there as one.
the only thing i ran into was i had to remove the passanger side motor mount so i could swing it to clear everything.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Civic CX
159 Posts

good luck
true to that.. it was a pain in the butt to take it out without taking the motor out.. but if you want to not deal with all the wires then i suggest just take unbolt the tranny and take it out.. i've done it like 4 time now.. took my brother and me like 30 mins to take out and 30 mins to put the new one in.. just whatever you want to do..

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
im not trying to take the tranny out....im trying to get the block out.
Pull it all, take pictures of wires, and/or label shit. On a FF car, after you pull the tranny and engine together, taking the tranny off is fairly easy. When I helped my buddy swap 2 engines in his probe, the first time he tried just pulling the engine and it took 3 times as long as just pulling it all 2nd time. I know a probe is not a civic, but its the only experience I have. :D

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Yeah, just drop it all as one. I'd also either take pics or use some masking tape to mark what goes where.

·
Registered
91 hatch
1,249 Posts
so theres only 5 bolts, cause i took em out and it is still on there pretty solid.
make sure you got the one on the engine side in the back above the transaxle. if it has'nt been seperated for a long while it won't be two easy. get a block of wood hold it on the end of the tranny housing ,and hit it with a hammer maybe it will loosen. then get you some wooden wedges to help spread them. also it is a good idea to remove everything as a unit. unless you just want to prove it can be done otherwise, but it will take forever.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dustin, dustin, dustin! hahaha! So you are gonna try to take the tranny off of it first? instead of pulling whole thing? Danny wont bring the hoist huh? I may be coming up this sunday, I can show you where things are but dont expect me to lift that bitch out by hand!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts