Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'89 CRX, '83 Skyline
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, how's it going? I just picked up my first proper (read: manual) D series Honda! It's an '89 CRX that's had a fairly rough life and is a bit of a project. It's been off the road for four years and needs some work to pass blueslip (a reasonably thorough safety inspection that is needed for cars that have been unregistered for >3 months in NSW).

I bought the car expecting the engine to be stamped as a D16A8 as it was advertised, however it is stamped as ZC. It is an Australian delivered car, which I thought only came with the D16A8. As far as I know, these two engines are more or less the same only intended for different markets.

This brings me to my question I guess. Did Australian delivered CRXs ever have an engine stamped as a ZC, or has my CRX had an engine replacement somewhere along the way in its long life?

Cheers, Xotyll.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
If it is a single cam, they came with the equivalent d16a6 here, if it is a dual cam I think it has been swapped. Some one else chime in, also go search through the wiki article about these cars, will explain the trim levels and areas each was sold.

Welcome to DSO.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Welcome! You have good taste in cars. It's possibly a swapped drivetrain but it's virtually the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are simply curious whether or not it's been abused in the past.

·
Registered
'89 CRX, '83 Skyline
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a dual cam yeah, I'll take a look at the wiki. I'm sort of hoping it is swapped since it would mean that not all of the car's 330k km (Roughly 200k miles) is on the one engine. Swapped or not, for a car that's been sitting a few years it runs surprisingly smoothly which is nice. I plan on giving it a decently thorough tune up regardless since I have no idea how many kms are on the timing belt and the distributor cap contacts aren't in great shape.
Cheers for the responses!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome! Have any pics? I'm curious to see what the Aussie spec Rexes look like on the inside.

·
Registered
'89 CRX, '83 Skyline
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, my hood does have the bump. All Aussie crx's have it since they got the DOHC D16a8- but mine has an engine stamped as a ZC.

The interior is semi-pulled apart right now, it's pretty much the same as the US but we didn't have leather seats as an option as far as I know. The upper halves of the door trims and the raised upper dash section are covered in some badly sun damaged sort of pseudo suede sort of finish (also means no CRX detail on the door panels :()- not very nice. It's got power windows and mirrors but no AC button on the climate control, although the engine bay looks like it's got AC fittings? - I've neglected to take any photos but I'll post up some pictures tomorrow morning when there's light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts