Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys n girls, I own a 99 civic cx hatch. i posted a while ago about turboing my y7. Before i even got all the parts together i cracked my head cylinder, then i sold my turbo parts to my brother for his eg hatch .. so then i picked up a 99-00 y8 head w/ mani. This is going to be my first big job. I have a lot of confidence that i can do this. It doesnt look to hard for my skills. But before i get dirty i just want to recheck with u guys n get some advice.

Also, my motor have about 180k, I've been told send the block n the new head to a machine shop. But i don't no what for since i never rebuilt or pull a motor out before. if i do send it to a shop what do i really need to do to it ?

Part list, I have:
Y8 Head (99-00)
Y8 Mani (99-00)
Y8 Harness (99-00)
Y8 Fuel Rail (99-00)
Y8 Inj. (99-00)

Part list, being order:
P29 Piston (can i use this with my old y7 rods?)
Arp Head studs
rod bolts & bearings (what brand)
Y8 head gasket (again what brand)
Y8 knock sensor

I no the cr would bump up pretty high so should i upgrade to a bigger injectors? if so how big? like a 310cc? Most parts i can easily get since i work at an auto part store n can use my discount.

I'm running this on a obd2b p2p ecu so that i can pass the yearly inspection & emission test, but will convert it to an obd1 to be tuned.

If im missing anything please let me no. I will be running the stock valve train & cam for a while until i decided which brand i want to go with.

Thank you D-series(er)

·
Registered
372 Posts
You would send the head and block to a shop for a lot of different things, but I'm assuming whoever told you to take it to the shop was telling you to have the head and block decked. That is where they shave a little bit of material off of each surface to make sure it is flat so the headgasket will seal properly.

Since you have to disassmble the block for that, you could also have them hone it or bore it over, whatever, it depends on what you want to do. You could also have them just do the head. Lots of options.

You can also have them measure the flatness of your head, as it may not need to be decked at all.

How did you crack your old head btw?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i brought it to the garage to get an estimate how much my hg labor was n they told me i also crack my head .. but idk how they know if my head was crack they didnt even pulled it apart to inspect it .. but im just going with what they said. n then they want to charge me 600 in labor n i get them all the parts ...

so i decided to wing it myself and hopefully everything goes well. As of right now i havent pulled anything apart yet im still doing more research.

about the machine part all i gotta do is a find a shop that does it n ask them to hone the block and decked the head n block for a smoother surface? what can i do to the head for performance wise ? get it port n polish ?

thanks for the info alex !

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts
The garage was probably trying to rip you off. I am glad you are here to learn more and fix it yourself.

First thing is download a factory service manual:
SpoonerTuner.com - Free downloadable Honda Acura Factory Service Manuals by HELMS
or
Honda / Acura Manuals - Hondahookup.com need to sign up for a account at Hookup.

Do lots of reading in this section you can clean up your ports and make some more power and put it back together.

Machine shop can check out the head and block make sure everything is OK and flat and not warped. You can try putting the block together yourself by learning here. But if your not mechanically inclined and do not have money to invest into a lot of tools and time you may want to consider finding a local engine shop or someone here that's reputable in the forums to help you out locally.

Building an engine will require a lot of tools you may not have. Torque wrench, ring filer, plastigauge, ring installer, piston ring compressor sleeve, spring compressor, valve lapping tool... some are cheap others not so cheap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks l337h4lm, i work at an auto part store n can get a lot of tools for cheap along with parts. I did a lot of research on this swap and im pretty sure i got it down, im just rechecking things out before shit happens. i'm in a vocational high school majoring in auto tech, but they only teach us basics.

from what i researched so far, they said its best to use the head of the same year as ur car which is a 99-00

i did research on the head and 99-00 head, has what they call an air injection port.
what's the deal with that, they said it causes idle surge. since that head only comes in obd2b n im using an obd2b ecu that shouldnt effect anything correct?
and one more questions about the obd2b p2p ecu they said i cant use it because off an immobilizer? i mean i got the head of an 99-00 shouldnt an obd2b ecu work with it ?

sorry about the noob questions, the more i research the more questions i have.
i tried researching other but dont quite get it.

again dseries(er) thanks for ur help !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts