Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I figured its time to make my own given all the question i have. Now you can put a picture to mind....

so it all started with the idea of wanting a gas mileage beater....
I picked this up for $500 ran ok. It burned about 2qts of oil in 100 miles, but other then that no complaints for a beater... This isn't when i got her but earliest pic i have.

bad pic but it has a clean interior

so i was bit by the bug... drove it for 3 days. a civic came into my shop and wanted some chrome wheels, not the steels they had. so I gave him $20 for his old wheels and tires... (don't worry the fart can has been removed)

I repainted them, it made a good difference for $20.. But then wanted to rebuild the engine and add more power. So i got everything I needed for a MPFI swap, and was going to do a mini me with the rebuild. i go to a guys house who was gong to sell me a Z6 head and dizzy. Then we got to talking and he told me about this rare motor he had, that he knew nothing about. just knew that he took it out of a civic. Showed me it i saw the ZC and instantly asked how much... He sold it to me for $100 including the dizzy for it. (same as what he wanted for the Z6 head/dizzy) So i took my motor and tore it down. dropped it off at the machine shop and had it bored out .50mm and got some ZERO deck NPR pistons. Had the head/block/crank/rods checked (polished up) and it was ok. Port and polished the head, reassembled (with NPR CHROME RINGS) looked good... (approx. 10.5-1 CR)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Here you can see my ACT clutch and (12lb fly) (i got for $80) and header(don't know the brand looks like an eBay header, it came on my car)

So i installed it with my DX trans, and performed the wiring conversion from DPFI to MPFI. I used the SI ecu (89) and kept the AC (for my lady)

I took the time to install a SI gauge cluster and roll it back to 000000 so I knew how many miles were on the new motor. (still have the old cluster so I know the true mileage, assuming that its correct)

So i got it running and it was a HUGE DIFFERENCE! But it was burning oil and smoking (white/blue smoke) I noticed I was still burning oil, and was consuming a lot of it. I had a lot of blow by. I was TOLD that this is normal for chrome rings and they need to be beaten in.(didn't believe it but oh well its together) I didn't like this and was thinking why wasn't i told this? I would've just ran regular rings. So since it was together I figured I would give it a long hard drive (to get them hot) and see what happens. I figured it was going to be a good or BOOM event... Pics of the BOOM....

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

this shows the oil hole port/ovalizing they did for better high RPM oiling

The blow by was so excessive I blew almost 2 qts out my breather (on the valve cover) and ran it dry at 3500 rpm... So after 60 miles (on that drive 400 total) I have it torn down and going on try number two. This time with Honda over sized rings (not going to screw around) the crank was junk. the cy 2 rod was junk (over heating) so i went and found a Z6 at a local junk yard. (almost just took it and dropped it in) But was to prideful and had to give this ZC another go. Stole the crank, rods, and oil pump. Had the crank checked, polished, and oil ports worked over again. Then had the rods reconditioned. reassembled with new bearings. Z6 crank, rods, and oil pump (externally the exact same as the DOHC ZC PM7 pump) reassembled with Honda rings. I used a felpro head gasket. Went with a step colder spark plug (detonation is my biggest fear) Also took this opportunity to get a few other goodies... My ZC trans, and axles/intermediate shaft. (found it for a steal at $100 locally) Also took a SI FD and stuck it in there. SI 1-2, zc 3-5th and SI FD. :drool5: I also upgraded to a PG7 ecu and stuck it into the PM6 case to bolt it down. It made a HUGE difference in how smooth and how the motor responds. I wish I had a PM7...

So I dropped it back in...Made my own catch can using the "black box" as the can. so it drains on its own back into the block(so i don't have to worry about it going out and running dry again) I also repainted my bay black... The white was pissing me off... Charcoal/white... no no....

I have 500 miles on the "new motor" and its running great. I love the trans, and I love the DOHC ZC. My goal for this car was to still get "good" gas mileage and not just be another civic... Nothing crazy. Just a fun car. So far so good. I will work on how she looks once im happy with the power, and handling.

Soon, putting on a rear swap/LCA install i am going to do in a week or two... there are some things i am sure I've forgotten and will add. but this is my civic so far. only 7 months in and love the difference already.....

hope my rambles weren't to bad.

also thanks to all the people I've gotten parts from off the D and advise/help with my build/headaches...

(also i would like to add, the reason for all the blow by was my machine shop never opened my rings box. and honed the walls for the new rings, not aggressive for chrome... fuckers)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I also took the battery out, the tray out, and relocated it to my trunk. (before i knew about the box that lowers it)

I installed a short shifter.

took off the fart can and put a actual muffler on it.

I installed a SI clock (WAHOO! lol)

and i installed motor mount inserts. vibrates a little, but i love em...(wish i could afford inovatives, maybe one day lol)

·
Registered
1994 Civic Hatch cx
405 Posts
haha yea man looks good! still breaking it in?

i just kinda did the same! i just bought a teg and had to (still finishing) put together the block and rebuild the head/mil/ etc. but im stuck with a auto... gay. but w/e. good come up!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ha ha yea man looks good! still breaking it in?

i just kinda did the same! i just bought a teg and had to (still finishing) put together the block and rebuild the head/mil/ etc. but im stuck with a auto... gay. but w/e. good come up!
yeah i am still braking it in. close to saying screw it and get on it. i don't really know how much i believe in braking them in, better safe then sorry i guess... ill be "nice" until 1k miles... lol

right on. autos aren't to bad. should still be fun.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
looks great! i demand a dyno/ripper vid :TU:
lol all in good time. my buddy is renting a dyne for 3 hours(for his 900HP diesel) he said i can sneak on and do 3 pulls for free, so we will see.. i hope for a good number... but ill be happy either way.

long term goal is a JRSC, 6psi. with 10.5-1 should be pretty fun...

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts
lol all in good time. my buddy is renting a dyne for 3 hours(for his 900HP deisel) he said i can sneek on and do 3 pulls for free, so we will see.. i hope for a good number... but ill be happy either way.

long term goal is a JRSC, 6psi. with 10.5-1 should be pretty fun...
o hella yeah, that'd b awesome to see a dyno vid w/ jrsc :bigok:

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts
the JRSC wont be for a while...

getting married next month, so money will be harder to come by lol...

lol congts man! wish both of you a best luck in life! :bigok:

hope you'll still mange to get JRSC soon lol maybe a wedding gifts?! hahaha

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nice build man, looking forward to a dyno vid as well.

Congrats about the marriage, hope everything works out for ya!

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Looks good dude.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts