Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys first time post, but I've been lurking here since I purchased my hatch. Last September I sold my first car which was a 99 Acura RL. I bought it from my grandmother with 114k and drove it to just a few miles under 150k. During that time I fully restored it and did some tasteful mods to it, the only reason I sold it was to buy a car with more aftermarket support.

How it looked before I sold it:

Now I had no intentions of buying a civic nor had I ever thought of owning one but this little hatch showed up at the local VIP one day with a blown motor.

With only two previous owners and it came with literally every single receipt down to every oil change from 92 to present it was a steal for $300. The shell also had minimal rust, especially for a Maine car. The only major draw back of the car was it being an auto but that wasn't too hard to fix.

I'd like to say removing the engine went easy, but this being my first and my two friends who have only worked on Chevy's it was anything but. After creating a complete mess and roughly 10 hours into it the engine was finally out!

The car sat for another two months literally buried in snow until I had an engine ready for it. I ended up going with a d15b7 block and y8 head to create a mini me paired with a ex trans for the shorter gearing. The only mods done were a light weight fly wheel at 12lbs and a stage 1 clutch.

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Motor installed:

Skipping ahead a lot of painful troubleshooting the car took another month / another transmission swap before it could finally be put on the road. I think due to the difference in weight of an auto trans vs manual trans it kinda gave the car a lifted look up front. This is after the first drive to work:

A couple months / a much lighter wallet later ....

I finally caved and purchased a set of teins and function7 rear lcas:

Then I did a wire tuck:

Then a few weeks later these happened:

Installed them about a week and half ago now. This is the current look.

I still haven't done too much to the exterior, but all that will be taken care of soon. This weekend I plan on swapping in a new to me del sol si trans along with innovative motor mounts. I'll also be picking up some new seats come Monday. Sorry for the long post this is roughly 6 months of stuff.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Nice job, those wheels look great, nice bay too.

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the compliments guys, I have a pretty good update to post today. Lots of progress was made although the car is still stuck on jack stands.

So here's the del sol si tranny I bought about a month back. It's kinda greasy but not horrible. Previous owner claims it only has 88k on it.

A bit of degreaser later it cleaned up fairly nice, still some corrosion all over but not bad.

3 coats of primer later...

Then 3 coats of enamel later...

Test fitting the rear bracket that I powder coated.

Got the old tranny out of the car, crazy difference in condtion. The old one came from a 98 ex with what I estimate to be about 140-160k miles on it. 4th gear had a minor grind when shifting in and it leaked from the cv seals.

Tranny finally in along with the innovative mounts. It was quite the challenge to get the side mounts to line up properly.

Everything in the engine bay back together finally. (Sorry for blurry pic)

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I admit my first method of converting the shifter to manual was complete garbage. Removing my auto shifter involved a hammer due to rusted bolts and dented up the metal quite a bit. I didn't want to just keep it that way so with some help a simple bracket was made. It works great and I'm very happy with how it came out.

Underside picture of the bracket.

Besides just adding the bracket all bushings on the linkage were replaced along with a new short throw. The shifter literally feels brand new now.

I also picked these up today:

It's hard to see in the picture but their the ones with the blue and they are darker in person. They still need a good cleaning but overall good condition.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up a new driver side axle as my boot tore during install sadly. After that the tranny needs fluid and the mid pipe re installed and it should be on the road again!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
....doing works. So awesome. Gunna pull my tranny next weekend, probably should clean and paint, but then I will have to pull and paint the motor.....the avalanche begins.

Nice job.

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
....doing works. So awesome. Gunna pull my tranny next weekend, probably should clean and paint, but then I will have to pull and paint the motor.....the avalanche begins.

Nice job.
Thanks and I know exactly how you feel regarding the engine half lol.

Don't see many builds still rocking the factory airbox. LOL!

Lookin good!
Yeah it's just I kinda have a thing against CAI's and I believe the money can be spent better elsewhere.

how do you like the tein setup?
For the price I think their great. I'm sure there's better stuff out there but I wasn't looking for the best of the best. Ride quality is still good and they handle turns decent as well. I'll be running in my first auto x event this weekend so well see how they handle haha

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update time! I've been very busy with the car in the past month. Quite a bit of progress has been made and I'm very excited to see how the finished product looks but there's still a ways to go.

Like every other civic / older car out there the wiper arms have basically all but lost their oem paint. I wanted to fix mine up so instead of buying new ones I sandblasted and powder coated mine a nice matte black. They came out great and the finish looks oem. I shouldn't have to worry about them for quite a while. The intake tube was also coated for fun.

Before:

After:

That same day the car went to it's first meet. It probably would have won best wiper arms in show had there been trophys

I also made a cool little change to the oem headliner. I didn't want to keep it light gray but didn't want to paint it so I went in a different direction. This idea was actually stolen from a subaru thread though.

Four weeks back I decided it was time to do something about the cars appearance so I'm now in the process of giving it a full paint job / perfecting all the body panels / removing any rust. I didn't take any pictures of the gutting process but I did snag one of the new door installed.

This was also the perfect time to replace that damn leaky heater core.

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked up a gallon of air craft stripper and went to town. Man does that stuff stink!

I actually ran out of the stuff but this is where it ended up:

To get the rest of the paint off I used a da with 80 grit. It shined the metal up real nice too

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't want the exposed metal to rust while it sits so the chassis had some primer thrown on it. This was my first time using a paint gun.

Fixed up the one minor dent on my hatch as well

Next came the hood

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then my Dad had an interesting idea to try on it. I think it came out pretty decent and I like it because it's different. He also managed to work out the major dent in the bottom right corner

Some of the minor projects I've been doing on the side:

These are various brackets from under the dash lol. I love powder coating especially this matte black powder...

The dash was also painted using SEM color coat. It came out good with a smooth semi matte finish. The rest of the interior will be converted later on.

Tomorrow well be doing some cutting and installing these:

·
Registered
152 Posts
nice build. your doing everything your self, thats impressive.

i think the hood will look good depending what color you go with.

a dark color will help it blend it and be less standoutish.

stratton.

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know the hoods different but I'm gonna run with it. Initial plan was to just flat black and run it as it had a major dent in the bottom right along with various dings. Next year I was planning on picking up a carbon fiber hood anyways, so why not have a lil fun with the current one? If it doesn't look good in the end I'm ok with that it didn't cost me anything extra to do.

1 - 20 of 302 Posts