Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well since my 1991 Honda Civic Dx has been down for some upgrades, i decided to upgrade my brakes.

before i start i don't want to hear about Rotational/Unsprung weight issues. this is about how to do the upgrade. if you want to talk about Rotational/Unsprung weight issues start a thread. anyway to the DIY.

let start with the part i bought.

Fastbrake bracket kit: $125
91-93 Acura Integra calipers: $60/pair($44/pair, if you didn't have cores, i didn't)
92-95 VW Corrabo Rotors: $80/set
Axxis brake pad: $45
Stainless Steel Lines: $100/F&R set

here's my Fastbrake kit.

here are the Civic rotor next to the Corrabo rotor

now the Civic on top of the Corrabo.

my Integra caliper next to my Dx cailper.

my Axxis brake pad/s

now this is what my brakes looked prior anything... stock.

so here are the Fastbrake bracket installed. and the if you look the ring which came with the kit is installed.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i came into my first problem. the heads of the bolts that came with the kit are very beefie but wouldn't let the brake bracket bolt up. no problem took out my 4" grinder and made a very small mod to the bracket.

now here it is mocked up to see if it worked.

now here is why you need the ring the supply you with. so the rotor dosen't slop around.

and now you're done..

if you must see what it looked with my 15" GS-R rim before the upgrade.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and after... BAM!

so if you so see some more clearence pics here goes.

my stock, whoa alot of room.

now after the new upgrade.

ok i want to add some other info that you need to know.

First: bumping to a 15/16" master cylinder and brake booster, is perferably best to do. and if i don't like the peddel feel i will go to a 1" MC/BB.

Second: swapping your proportion valve is not need. i stood with my stock proporting valve, due to what was explain to me by Fastbrake. i have 40/35 which is a Prelude with rear drum, since i kept my drums(i didn't installed). and i also had a 40/40 proporting valve which i didn't want to swap since i don't have rear disc. what was explain by Fastbrake was he's done alot of R&D and test on the proportion valves on the track and nothing significate came from all the proportion valve.

Finally: I swaped my OEM brake lines to stainless steel brake lines. now there's alot of debate on OEM vs SS. i'm not here to say whats right or wrong but more of a perfrence. but know this if you get SS lines you must keep an eye on them. on like regular OEM lines, SS act different and season weather do put alot more strain on them, than OEM.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Fucking right!
Nice upgrade Remer im sure you'll love the extra meat.

Now we just need to get you some stickier tires?

By the way you know thats going to give you extra unsprung weight.........lol.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fucking right!
Nice upgrade Remer im sure you'll love the extra meat.

Now we just need to get you some stickier tires?

By the way you know thats going to give you extra unsprung weight.........lol.
only you Trev. lol. yeah i was at Clemson college this weekend checking out some autoxing and decided to keep going with my work.
Good job! I want me some 11" rotors to =P
lol. so did i but if you must know how long i wanted to do this? i bought my brake pads used from Danny(latapx) on here on Dec/2009. lol. and he ran them one season
nice writeup :TU: wouldnt mind doing this.
thanks.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
only you Trev. lol. yeah i was at Clemson college this weekend checking out some autoxing and decided to keep going with my work.

lol. so did i but if you must know how long i wanted to do this? i bought my brake pads used from Danny(latapx) on here on Dec/2009. lol. and he ran them one season
Lol.

Nice by the way, with your set-up the car will be driving on rails.

Your going to love this upgrade when you put in some lapping and your brakes are still holding up 20mins later.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol.

Nice by the way, with your set-up the car will be driving on rails.

Your going to love this upgrade when you put in some lapping and your brakes are still holding up 20mins later.
i know, i can't wait till get some mountain runs in too. i'm still on the fence about the 1" MC/BB. but i still have a bit more to do. like retuning.

i spoke with Wil @ Exospeed about trying to extract power out of my cam. before i go to the Stage 4 cam.

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
Nice upgrade! What a massive improvement over the OEM brakes.

Keep up updated on how they feel! :TU:

Are you still able to fit 14's over those brakes?

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
i know, i can't wait till get some mountain runs in too. i'm still on the fence about the 1" MC/BB. but i still have a bit more to do. like retuning.

i spoke with Wil @ Exospeed about trying to extract power out of my cam. before i go to the Stage 4 cam.
Nice buddy!
You need to come t Canada for a road trip. :bigok:
I think somebody on OCO mentioned that as well...
Lol.
Theres always somebody chirping the big brake upgrade?
Also do you think the stock brake lines would work?
Stock brake lines worked fine for my buddy when we installed them. All though switching to steel braided lines would'nt be a bad idea either while your doing it.
Are you still able to fit 14's over those brakes?
15" minimum.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Lol.
Theres always somebody chirping the big brake upgrade?
Chirping?

Eh, I enjoyed mine, but I know all too well how they do not one single bit of good when you don't have the tires to keep up with the braking power.

The unsprung mass thing is just me being semi anal retentive about things. I skimmed over the post and didn't read the first line. What can I say, pictures make me happy, and I sometimes forget about the supporting text.

:lol:

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Chirping?

Eh, I enjoyed mine, but I know all too well how they do not one single bit of good when you don't have the tires to keep up with the braking power.
I know for a fact with sloopy tires they teand to lock up very quicly on the street and DD'ing them. But im sure Remer will be all right!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts