Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
88 sedan DX
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the time has officially come and now its time for a huge post to cover the progress as it starts going. As it sits right now I have my 88 Sedan with the D15B2 and stock tranny in the car and my D15B7 and Ex tranny out of the car. Hopefully when its all said done I can turn this into a diy or at least a helpful guide for swapping an OBD1 engine into a OBD0 DPFI chassis

What I have: D15B7 w/flywheel attached, EX Tranny, P06 Ecu, OBD1 Engine harness still completly attached to motor, Boomslang OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness w/DPFI to MPFI conversion.

What I need: bolts to mate tranny to engine(ordering at stealership), 4 wire o2 sensor.

The few things I want to be 100% sure on are that to use the harness properly I will be taking the OBD0 Harness off of the D15B2 and putting it on the D15B7 and have the proper connectors such has the injector plugs and the distributor plugs spliced into the OBD0 harness.

I am using the OBD1 injectors so no need for the resistor box. I am also using the OBD1 Distributor.

I need to clean the tranny before i mount it, the insides around the input shaft is thick with grease. Best way...simple green?? standard degreaser?

My friend who is helping me also wanted to get opinions on if its easier to drop it in with the transmission mounted to the engine out of the car or to mount the transmission after the motor is already in place.
He's a vw guy and apparently he finds it easier to pull the tranny first or vice versa on his vw's. Only motor i've pulled was a K20 out of an EP3 and I thought it was cake with the tranny on so its prob going to be a personal preference but any suggestions appreciated!!!1

anything else??
p.s. I'll try to get some pics of everything and start posting them up tomorrow cuz i gotta work all night.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 sedan DX
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heres some pics of the greasy ass tranny.

I also added some motor pics up above.

Any suggestions on how to clean that tranny i am using some greased lightening right now is there anywhere I should be careful to spray it on?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe some of the EX trannys used the small bearing case. If that's correct then the only way to tell for sure is to spin the input and see what happens.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
First thing to do...get white door handles.
Second: get an LX center piece for the tail lights (looks like 100x better)
3rd: do that motor swap you were talking about.

·
Registered
88 sedan DX
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First thing to do...get white door handles.
Second: get an LX center piece for the tail lights (looks like 100x better)
3rd: do that motor swap you were talking about.
But the car isn't white it's ass colored!!
center light eventually.
swap first thats my daily and I miss her.
driving my friends old ladies geo metro made me go WOW! Damn civic feels roomy as a caddy after that.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
But the car isn't white it's ass colored!!
center light eventually.
swap first thats my daily and I miss her.
driving my friends old ladies geo metro made me go WOW! Damn civic feels roomy as a caddy after that.
same with driving my wife's geo storm!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe some of the EX trannys used the small bearing case.
You are correct. The EX is basically a DX but with a 4.058.

If anything is prolly a small bearing SI. If you don't need it I might.
DX and EX are basically a small bearing Si with a different FD.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
thought the EX and SI had the same FD...
Went and searched like a dork because I remember him posting this a looong time ago:

Also ran across 4.058 90-91 EX FD, I must confirm it's 90-91, but if so it's up for sale also.

That also means I've owned EVERY final drive available in the L3 trannys

·
Registered
88 sedan DX
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lack of updates my bad don't have the camera here unfortantly. However I got a few questions since i am doing a B7 I wont need to wire in the Secondary intake runners and the knock sensor correct??? I also apparently have ran into a problem with the OBD0 not having enough plugs to go onto the intake I have two plugs one green one white with two wires that go into the Idle air control and the intake air sensor but I am missing one for the Evap plug do I just leave one disconnected???? I'll snap some pics as soon as I can get the camera as it stands right now B7 is on the hoist and being wired up...

·
Registered
88 sedan DX
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
wtf is that two pin thing to the left of the filter do i need to do anything with the wires that were attached to that on the OBD0 harness??

Attachments

·
Registered
88 sedan DX
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also need to know what belt to use on the B7 with the alternator that came off the B2.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts