Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 dx hatch and my main relay went bad. I thought it was the fuel pump used the jumper wires, fuel pump was fine. Every time I go to put a fuse in my fuse box it just pops on contact. I have 2 pm5 Ecu’s and problem isn’t solved, I checked all my grounds they’re all fine. I’ve got a new main relay coming in the mail on the 9th but I’m just lost on why it keeps blowing. I even went to the extent of replacing the distributor and still no change. Please HELP!!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,878 Posts
you have a short somewhere. trace the wiring and find it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So basically what’s happening is I’m having a short somewhere or is it just me lacking the main relay which is causing the issue?

Because I can’t seem to find any shorts the only “open” wires I have it’s just for my radio

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
768 Posts
There's a few things on that circuit:

You said it 'pops on contact'. There shouldn't be any power getting to that fuse unless your ignition is switched on. Do you have your ignition switched on when you're trying to put the fuse in?

Disconnect all those items, put the fuse in, switch to IG1. Does it pop? No? Start connecting things one at a time and report back once it pops.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my ignition is not on so I don’t even understand how they’d even be popping and I did all of them and nothing changed I can’t even put a fuse in it is there any way to have a secondary source of power I can run off a switch to my ecu?

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
quit plugging shit into your car. Find the short.

It isnt on the main power wire, since the battery fuse is still allowing power to pass through.

All you are doing right now is killing components, wasting money. Go to the store and spend $10 on a cheap multimeter, watch a few youtube videos on finding shorts, and get at it.

Having that knowledge of how to track it down will help you a lot more than you think!

Just gotta have some confidence at finding the issue!

Reactions: EFB055

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Start at the fusebox and work your way towards the ecu on a wiring diagram. A bunch of corrosion in the fusebox is commonplace, and liekly your issue.

Other palces to check would be the starter power wire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will do that tomorrow I’m kinda new to all of this I’m in the process of learning a lot and you guys are such a big help thank you guys. Do you know what page I can find the diagram on because I’ve just got a pdf of the repair manual

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Depends on which manual you got. There are the OEM style hodna tech manuals that dealership employees copied, then there are the 3rd party ones, such as Chiltons or Haynes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts