Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 00' d16y8 sedan with zex stage 2 cam, 10.5 cr pistons. i/h/e with plugs' n wires.

my engines got about 46000 miles on it. dyno'd at around 128 whp.

i just dragged against another 00' y8 sedan..the guy only had i/h/e and he went head to head with me throughout :S..unbelievable..despite the cam and pistons advantage i had over him..he stayed head to head all the way..

launch was fine, right next to him..shifting was fine. have you guys seen any y8s making close to 128 with just i/h/e ?! i felt like a jackass. what..so when he gets the same cam and pistons he'll take on h22's :S?!

oh and the worst bit..he stayed neck to neck with me on 16" rims..mine are stock 14"s..

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
something is up with that setup.

maybe the other guy was lying to you about any work he had done?

·
Registered
936 Posts
sounds right. i've been owned by stock y8s with just intake before when i was intake, header, s2 im, and zex2 cam

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jimmy: no ecu conversion as yet..so um..no tune.. but 128 whp is still a little more than these d16's with i/h/e make on the dyno as i've seen..most make hardly 110-115?

·
Registered
512 Posts
You may have 128 peak whp, but he prolly has more under the curve...

Get tuned ASAP !

·
Banned
752 Posts
The tiny difference in horsepower between the two cars could be offset by running a full tank of gas, or one of you being fatter than the other. I wouldn't expect to be putting bus lengths on cars that I only have a marginal hp advantage against.

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
your tune seems low..i dynoed on my y8 with cam I/H/E FPR p2p ecu at 127 hp/110 tq
with pistons, i would think you shoud be above 130 hp.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
jimmy: no ecu conversion as yet..so um..no tune.. but 128 whp is still a little more than these d16's with i/h/e make on the dyno as i've seen..most make hardly 110-115?
i dyno'd 118whp with no tuning and vtec didnt turn on till 6,800 so i actually made more hp if it came on earlier (graph was on way down already)

Tune man!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm..i'll get a p08 ecu and mess around with it then..

thanks for the help guys..

a little off topic but does bored out throttle body (60mm) make much of a 'feelable' difference?

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Who knows?..... He may have a few other things done to his car and just not telling. I dont tell everything that I have done. If you cant see it, its not done. If it looks stock , then it must be.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,871 Posts
yea.. maybe he had a freak motor... ive had a few freak motors.. had one with a full race cam untuned i was just using obd1 b16 maps and that thing literally flew

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm..i'm going to have a friend in another city send me a chipped ecu...would a b16 map on a p28 be ok for my 10.5 compression and other i/h/e mods on the y8?

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,871 Posts
hmm..i'm going to have a friend in another city send me a chipped ecu...would a b16 map on a p28 be ok for my 10.5 compression and other i/h/e mods on the y8?
i would get it tuned... i wouldnt just trust maps for another motor.. i had xenocron program me a chip for a b16 with ihe and fuel cut at 9500...

it was faster.. more fuel more timing.. i pulled 3 degrees of timing on the dizzy to compensate for the added timing on b16 maps.. but its not the right way to do it.. get it tuned and be happy

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
i dont think he was lying. i had a y8 with just intake n exhaust that chewed up lots of more modded cars. was he a skinny guy with a quarter tank of gas? lol maybe there was a weight difference like stated a couple posts back

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
i'll get it tuned then, but i dont think another 3-4 whp from chipping/tuning on the dyno is gonna make much of a difference either. or is tuning more about getting your power/torque curves right than about peak #'s?

@hatchnthoughts: naa :D he was about the same height and build as meself! although he'd taken the seats and spare tyre out and his exhaust piping was 2.5" as compared to my 2.25... still...*shrugs*

1 - 20 of 25 Posts