Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a thing. Was about 30 bucks for the metal. I ended up spending more than I needed to because I wasn't sure how I was going to make it but all in all you could build one for 20 bucks. Head still needs to be bolted down to something and my welds are crap, but it works damn good. Much better than expected.
2017-01-22 20.13.40 by Anomolix, on Flickr
2017-01-22 20.14.03 by Anomolix, on Flickr
2017-01-22 20.16.15 by Anomolix, on Flickr

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! For how much these sell for I think it was worth it. Even the cheap ebay ones are like 50 bucks so I win! I still need to get a die and put threads on the ends of the rod because it does move around a bit.

·
Registered
92dx-turbo 92cx-pimp
89 Posts
why not get a piece of threaded rod from ace and cut it to size then add a couple nuts and lock washers so you can lock the unit in the position needed or else weld a handle on end and cut 2 tubular pieces and and make it adjustable horizontally and free spining but it will stay in whichever position you stop turning the hanhdle. just an idea but sweet DIY

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good ideas suggested above. i used one of the cheap harbor frieght ones but this looks like it would be way easier to use.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why not get a piece of threaded rod from ace and cut it to size then add a couple nuts and lock washers so you can lock the unit in the position needed or else weld a handle on end and cut 2 tubular pieces and and make it adjustable horizontally and free spining but it will stay in whichever position you stop turning the hanhdle. just an idea but sweet DIY
While I did think of that, I was going for something that was quickly used on every spring vs having to stop, readjust compressor location, re-screw it down, stop, readjust compressor, re screw it down. With this one I can slide it to whatever spring very quickly and get it done. The spring pressure is minimal so needing it locked in place wasn't a concern.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Looks great. I had hell using the harbor fright tool.
Ended up giving up on it and just used a socket and weight.
Put vaseiline on the keepers and got everything into place. Press down on the socket and slowly release.
2 of 3 times it all work.
The time i probably had to try 2 more times to get it to work.

But that would of been 10times easier with your tool.

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
373 Posts
We used to simply hold the spring down with two small hammer handles in the old days. You'd need a third hand to pull out the spring and cotters.

I've also heard that if you put a socket over the cup washer and tap it smartly with a hammer while keeping a hold of it, the spring will jump out.

Obviously, you'll need to block the valves in the closed position in both cases, so the head has to be off the motor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$40 bucks.

You can do a complete head in 15 minutes, remove the springs, replace the valve stem seals, and reinstall. Its insane.

I see how these would be effective for removing the keepers, but I've always wondered how you use those to get them back on.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
I see how these would be effective for removing the keepers, but I've always wondered how you use those to get them back on.
i dont know how it would help install, but it has a magnet inside the tube that holds the keepers when they fall out, its kinda nice.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
$40 bucks.

You can do a complete head in 15 minutes, remove the springs, replace the valve stem seals, and reinstall. Its insane.
For free you can use a 13mm deep socket and a hammer to do the same job and still have to figure out how to install the keepers when you're done.

·
Registered
92dx-turbo 92cx-pimp
89 Posts
While I did think of that, I was going for something that was quickly used on every spring vs having to stop, readjust compressor location, re-screw it down, stop, readjust compressor, re screw it down. With this one I can slide it to whatever spring very quickly and get it done. The spring pressure is minimal so needing it locked in place wasn't a concern.
fosho makes sense

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
The black piece is for installing the keepers. You put the spring down over the valve stem in the head. You place the keepers into the retainer on the bench. Then you place the retainer on the spring, with the keepers still loaded in the retainer. Put the black attachment on the tool, put the little pin in the middle onto the tip of the valve, and push down. It all automatically locks into place. It seriously takes 15 minutes to do 16 valves.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The black piece is for installing the keepers. You put the spring down over the valve stem in the head. You place the keepers into the retainer on the bench. Then you place the retainer on the spring, with the keepers still loaded in the retainer. Put the black attachment on the tool, put the little pin in the middle onto the tip of the valve, and push down. It all automatically locks into place. It seriously takes 15 minutes to do 16 valves.
Wow.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Ill take a video of it one day. Maybe theres one on youtube already. I shall look.

This guy has the right idea, but instead of "hammering" them back together, you can just push down with your weight and it will all lock together unless you have crazy CRAZY stiff springs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts