Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My D16Z6 Build, shooting for 400hp. Had it all built by bill from apex.

Very healthy motor, Using Mobil synthetic.

Head- BRAND NEW OEM HONDA GASKETS
Ported and polished
Supertech Valve Springs and Retainers
Gasket matched
5 angle valve job
Bisimoto Stage 3 Camshaft N/a
Bisimoto Cam gear
Skunk 2 Pro Series intake manifold
B16 Throttle body
Brand new ARP headstuds

Bottom End-
Ycp Vitara Pistons, 8:5:1 Low compression
Tuner Toyz h Beam Rods
Golden eagle block guard
Ported z6 Pump, idle is 25 psi, (good oil pressure )
Tapped oil pan
Innovative 75a Motor mounts, very stiff
Acl rod and main bearings
ac and ps deleted

Trans-
S40 ex trans
3800 Miles on Xtd stage 3 clutch
7lbs flywheel
5 Speed Manual
Short shifter

I already bought a precision sc44 60 trim turbo. i am looking to get 350-400 hp.

I broke in the motor with 3800 miles on it, but everytime i step on the gas and let go, it sounds like theirs a rod knock? or maybe it could just be a gasket to my exhaust? maybe a exhaust leak? the oil pressure is really good.....but im not sure...?

What is the cheapest turbo good turbo manifold out there that i could get??

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Rod knock shows up under load, not under decel. Unless it's really bad and it's doing it 100% of the time.

Cheapest good mani and turbo is an ebay cast manifold, and a genuine garrett T3/T4. Should be 700 bucks in total.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
If you've ever heard a rod knock it's damn near impossible IMO to mistake it for anything else.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard a rod knock before on my buddys car, he was the one who told me that it sounds like one when I was coming up his street, but then again at idle, it doesn't sound like a rod knock at all... My oil pressure at idle is 25 psi, I ported
the oil pump

·
Registered
487 Posts
Are you using the regular 75mm ones? If so that's probably piston slap. Get use to it because it's going to be louder when the weather gets colder.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
My gsr never knocked at idle. Matter of fact it was so damn quiet you could hear the injectors. It damn sure knocked under load though.

Fuck shitty machine work.

·
Registered
94 Civic Hatch
334 Posts
its prolly the vitara's

pretty much every vitara build i've seen has a wierd rattle/knock sound almost like the pistons are hitting the valves.

if it sounds like this i believe its just the vitara's it seems like they all do it....
YouTube - Vitara D16 idle, rev, and a short rip.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its prolly the vitara's

pretty much every vitara build i've seen has a wierd rattle/knock sound almost like the pistons are hitting the valves.

if it sounds like this i believe its just the vitara's it seems like they all do it....
YouTube - Vitara D16 idle, rev, and a short rip.
yes my car does sound like that at idle, but im talking about the sound of it when im pressing on the gas and letting it go

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fixed problem, I called the machine and he said it would be a piston slap due to the vitara pistons. I also looked under the car and 2 of the bolts that hold my exhaust together came loose due to the solid motor mounts I have. I have changed the gasket and drove the car today and no more noise!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts